Best oil and Filter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best oil and Filter?
Hey all.
Want to do an oil and filter change today. Been looking on eurocarparts at the premium oil filter and 5 liters of Shell Helix ultra 5w40 oil. I want to do my gearbox oil as well.

What would you guys suggest is the best oil, filter, and gearbox oil choice? And do you know where I could get them from?

Cheers Smile

Or Mobile Super 3000 X1 5w40 oil
Thanks given by:
Its an old 306 HDi, any old shite will do! lol

Triple QX 10w40 oil and the midrange oil filter from ECP is what I normally use. Gear oil I only use the genuine stuff from Peugeot/Citroen.
Thanks given by:
I am thinking of nice stuff because its not going to stay at 90hp for long haha. Dont wanna go pushing it harder with the cheapest oil I can find u see haha. Mind u its still probably better than all the stuff from 1999 when it came out lol
Thanks given by:
Mine never stayed at 90bhp more than a day lol... Could walk quicker.

Honestly though, they're not really fussy on oil like some cars. I've never had any issues running cheaper oil with them. You can stick what you like in as long as it meets spec though, depends how much you want to spend!
Thanks given by:
Just go on ecp, cheapest oil is about £14 for 5l just use that and a good filter and change oil every 6k ish
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ask a mate with a high power car if you can have his used oil? Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I've personally used both triple qx 10/40 and shell helix 10/40 cant really tell a difference between using the two. Engine sounds a bit quieter with shell but thats probably just a placebo haha. As for filters and gearbox oil i use genuine peugoet ones as there not much more expensive.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I used a genuine peugeot filter as I heard they are a lot better. The engine sounds much quieter and runs smoother. Also the funny rattle I get on accelerator lift off has got a lot lot quieter Big Grin very pleased.
Thanks given by:
Genuine filters are a mix of purflux and mann and bosch, so you can get genuine quality without paying through the nose at the stealers. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha fair enough. Oh well its done now Smile looks good on the service history haha. Thats the only positive I can think of lol Tongue
Thanks given by:
Sorry, didn't mean to piss on your parade lol. Tbf i don't think Peugeot prices on service items are too bad if the guy on the desk likes you. Know for next time i guess. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha its fine lol. It sounds lovely compared to before and runs so much smoother so I am happy anyway haha Smile
Thanks given by:
Obviously desperately in need of some love then, fortunate she's got a loving owner. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think last time I had a peugeot oil filter it was something like 3 or 4 quid and fuel filters are around 6 quid
Thanks given by:
Time I had mine I used ambra oil was the required weight for a Peugeot but came in 40gallon drums lol it's stuff we use for tractors and it run the very best on it! Big Grin
Thanks given by: