Thinking out loud about mtdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking out loud about mtdi
so I've got my insurance coming up in April that will mean time to play with my engine. Sort of. I don't trust the xud9 for reliable lots of power. Mainly due to the rod chucking scenario. I want a 2.1 which is great but I cant find one. Which suck. Now the sheer fact of the matter is this is slowly but surely putting me off them as parts will obviously be harder to find. This leaves me with two options in my head. Buy a hdi and tune that. Which isn't happening or buy a hdi engine for mine and mtdi it then tune it. Only thing that has me worried about this is injectors. Any ideas on injectors. Any ideas on any other engine I've glanced over maybe. My aim is a bullet proof 170/200 bhp motor that I can use daily with no issues on getting parts should it go wrong.

Also cant really afford the xud9 forged rods.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ask Darrenjlobb (?) wasn't his HDi twin turbo thing mechanical injection?

Why not just fit HDi rods?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Also a veryyy big difference between 170 and 200..not many have made 200 lol
Thanks given by:
170 is a base figure to start as that's roughly what the standard clutch will hold. 200 is the aim in the long run. Sorry I should've explained that a bit better.

His was a mechanical injection yes. But not to much was ever given away.

Hdi rods are not bullet proof. They break as well.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Just get a 2.1 in there with a GT20/22.
Run 1.9 aux setup.
1.9 arp heabolts.

Sorted
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I really don't think you'll see a reliable daily from a 200bhp modded 90's diesel! Confused
Thanks given by:
What was wrong with that 2.1 on facebook the other day?
Thanks given by:
He refuses point blank to even load it onto a pallet for me to get it couriered. Just doesn't want to know.

Also piggy that was the plan. Even got the gt2259 ready and all the bits I need bar the 2.1!!

(05-02-2015, 08:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I really don't think you'll see a reliable daily from a 200bhp modded 90's diesel! Confused

You can get reliability with the right setup and work.
Thanks given by:
I haven't managed reliable with any modded diesel with just 130-180bhp! lol

Money is the main reason though, could've easily chucked more money at them to make them reliable really. And at least you've got a decent work space to do stuff.
Thanks given by:
Yeah having the big workshop at my disposal is something I have to thank my boss for. Id be lost without it sometimes
Thanks given by:
Well drive up there and pick it up!!!!!! It'll go in the boot no trouble unless you have a sedan and it's a very good price.
Thanks given by:
I havnt got time sadly Sad it would take me 10 hours there and back no traffic. I have an estate and the xud9 only just fitted in it.
Thanks given by:
out of intrest wheres the one on faceache?
Thanks given by:
Shropshire. Its only a 5 hour drive there and back. I stand corrected. Hoping to find one local to me I a scrappy really.
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 08:47 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I havnt got time sadly Sad it would take me 10 hours there and back no traffic. I have an estate and the xud9 only just fitted in it.

Don't be a pansy, you get days off don't you and I got a 2.2 and my big jack and wheels and other bits in the back of my estate so MTFU

Edit: if its only a 5 hour trip you can do it before or after work. Even if you find one nearby you can bet it will be more expensive and youll have to take it out the car yourself.
Thanks given by:
Is there no one local that will pick it up and pallet it for you? if it was closer id do it
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 08:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I haven't managed reliable with any modded diesel with just 130-180bhp!  lol

Money is the main reason though, could've easily chucked more money at them to make them reliable really.  And at least you've got a decent work space to do stuff.

You might want to check the pronunciation on that, but i think you'll find it's actually spelt "patience and perseverance". Tongue
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^^that is true^^ I get ridiculed at work for my Peugeot stuff. My boss told me when I started running veg I wouldn't make it to the roundabout. I've done 10,000 miles. Its all the little bits that add up to make things reliable. Generally not the big money things.
Thanks given by:
Wait, Tom where are you? Bury St Edumunds isn't it?

It's a 400-450 mile round trip and an 8 hour day for me to go and pick it up for you. If you pay for the Rangers upcoming road tax and all the fuel I'll go and pick it up for you and drop it to your door if it'll stop you being a pansy.
Thanks given by:
That's a lot of money. I havnt got chance to pick it up within the next 3 weeks I reckon. Some things take priority at the moment. Its not the end of the world I still have another two months to find one if this dude won't courier it.
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 08:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I really don't think you'll see a reliable daily from a 200bhp modded 90's diesel! Confused

other than me being a dufus with the oil cooler and not fitting ARPs in the first place...

Mine is fine. 208 whp

Be even more reliable if i sacked off this iritating arduino mess!

I use it daily. Happily tows trailer for work
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
2.1 FTW then. which is why it was my original plan. just without the vnt
Thanks given by:
Yeah look at what my old 2.1 ran in kyles car without the VNT being anywhere near its optimum set up. 180bhp and its just a 9mm pump on a standard 2.1 with a bigger turbo (that was bought solely because it was cheap) welded on the side.

As for me getting it yes its expensive but it solves your problem. I don't reckon anyone will buy that engine off brett if he wont even put it on a pallet so you may well haggle him down to £50.

If not I got mine off ebay.
Thanks given by:
well im keeping an eye out. spoke to brett and it seems he cant get hold of a pallet but if i could get a courier to go over and pick it up might be viable. we shall see. im sure another will pop up. ill get my local scrappys to keep an eye out.
Thanks given by:
Anyone who cant get hold of a pallet is a veritable fuckwit.

Any industrial estate, builders merchant, warehouse, farm or whatever will have them laying about and half the time people will give the crap ones away as if you only have a few they are a pain in the arse to get rid of.
Thanks given by:
Tell me about it. I've also got access to 3 hdi engines cheap as well. Looks like plans are gonna change.
Thanks given by:
The HDi could be a PITA with getting the ECU unlocked, running wiring for the lift pump, swapping clocks and at least some of the loom plus possibly the rad too.
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 09:01 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(05-02-2015, 08:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I haven't managed reliable with any modded diesel with just 130-180bhp!  lol

Money is the main reason though, could've easily chucked more money at them to make them reliable really.  And at least you've got a decent work space to do stuff.

You might want to check the pronunciation on that, but i think you'll find it's actually spelt "patience and perseverance". Tongue

Not really. Golf would've cost far too much to make reliable, it died because I did it on a budget. And the HDis just fall apart when used daily, clutch, cat, beam, turbo, rust etc killed off the estate workhorse, sure I could've spent its value to make it reliable, but there's no justifying that for me lol.

(05-02-2015, 09:19 PM)Piggy Wrote:

other than me being a dufus with the oil cooler and not fitting ARPs in the first place...

Mine is fine. 208 whp

Be even more reliable if i sacked off this iritating arduino mess!

I use it daily. Happily tows trailer for work

Doesn't the clutch slip? And how much have you spent on all the uprated parts etc? More than its value probably... Also I don't call shitting oil and headgaskets reliable, whether your fault or not.
Thanks given by:

tom I think you may find you get more reliability out of a 90s diesel compared to the modern shite tbh, Sensors for sensors for sensors that have f*ck all to do with the engine? 
As for the 200 bhp part, as long as it done properly and the engine is sound, then there shouldn't be any trouble at all.
Its when you start bodging and cutting corners, that's when things start to go wrong!  
Thanks given by:
Done properly costs money though, forged rods, updated head studs, oil cooler, bigger rad, updated clutch etc.

Sensors aren't as bad as people think, there's only about 3 that will cause a breakdown. Theyre the easiest part to diagnose as well lol. But I wouldn't mod a newer diesel on a budget now either.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking about defecting!!! bashbarnard 23 4,127 10-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Last Post: cully
  Thinking of getting this...... MarkTD 5 1,833 27-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  thinking if going defiltered???...... Piggy 15 3,346 17-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Jimmy306uk