Help with sudden non starter please NOW RUNNING!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with sudden non starter please NOW RUNNING!!!
The car is an x reg 2001 HDI 169k stage 1 remap and de cat

I drove the car back down to cornwall on Sunday night ( about 100 miles ) all was fine, used it again on the Monday for a few miles, didn't use the car at all on Tuesday and then went to start it at lunch time today and nothing, it turns over fine just won't fire, there are no fault codes either at the moment.
The lift pump seems to be priming fine when i turn the ignition on, the glow plug light comes on and off as normal too. The car has been running fun no indications that this was going to happen, or that something might be wrong.
This is the first time in the 3 years 100K miles that i have owned her she hasn't started Huh

Any ideas where to start looking please fellas ?
Thanks given by:
Has it got enough fuel in?

If I park on a slop going backwards and fuel is low the lift pump misses the fuel in the tank.
Thanks given by:
Battery failing? Is it turning slower than normal? Oh and check the inertia switch.
Thanks given by:
If it was the inertia switch it wouldn't be priming.
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2015, 01:44 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: If it was the inertia switch it wouldn't be priming.

It has got 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

I say fuel as the last time i drove it i put 25 quids worth of diesel in it, drove it about 3 or 4 miles and that was when i left it.
I am wondering if maybe i put petrol in it I have never done it before but i guess there is alway that chance, or is it just a coincidence that so soon after i put fuel in it won't start.

I have sprayed ( start ya bastard ) down the intake and it starts for a few seconds but won't continue to run. When it is turning over get a fair bit of white smoke out the exhaust.

I am going to whip the fuel filter housing off drain it fill it with diesel and see if it will start and run, if it does that answers my question.
If it doesn't then i guess that it is some thing else.

The battery is quite new ( less than a year ) it is turning over fine just not firing.
Thanks given by:
Just open the fuel cap and have a sniff? if theres a high enough petrol content in there to stop it running you will be able to smell it!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2015, 03:32 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Just open the fuel cap and have a sniff? if theres a high enough petrol content in there to stop it running you will be able to smell it!

Just whipped the cap off the fuel filter drained it out, topped it up with diesel and still no good, just turns over and white smoke out the exhaust.

And now the battery is going flat
Thanks given by:
Crank or Cam sensor could of packed up...unless they are in sync then its a no go - though I would expect a fault code.

Have you got access to Peugeot Planet? Under cranking you can see whether the Pump is making pressure etc
Thanks given by:
Has to be the immobiliser surely? Can you get PP2000 connected to see if it can communicate with the ECU?

If you get PP2000 connect go to parameter measurements, if everything is just full of ??? then there is an immobiliser fault, there is also an option to see if the ECU is locked.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Had a mate come over quickly with PP  he didn't have a lot of time and he read the fault codes on the ecu:

There was PO100 something to do with the maf

and the clutch switch. can't remember the code.

Then when you scroll down and get to  built in systems interface ( i guess thats the BSI unit ) it said:

Permanent fault no reply. engine management control unit.

Counter  40  

Any ideas ??

Cheers Titch

He has left me his lap top and the lead, but making a post on here is about my limit when it comes to computers
Thanks given by:
As Steve has said, sounds like an immobiliser fault. If memory serves that bsi fault is the confirmation.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-02-2015, 06:41 PM)Poodle Wrote: As Steve has said, sounds like an immobiliser fault. If memory serves that bsi fault is the confirmation.

So anything i can do about that ?? Where is the immobilizer ?Can you change the bsi module bit?

I phoned the AA don't know why i bothered they were useless! Didn't know how to use their kit and after about 40 mins just said well i don't really know whats wrong so there is nothing more i can do and went.

I have had a quick play with pug planet that my mate left, but i have no clue what so ever, so have given up, its to cold out there
The battery is so flat now it won't turn over and i can't get pug planet to connect.
I need to get it running by Friday to get me home ( as i am working away all week )

Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Where are you at the moment?
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2015, 08:38 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Where are you at the moment

In Helston Cornwall at the moment
Thanks given by:
I guess you've already tried locking and unlocking on the rcl and disconnecting the battery for half an hour? Besides buying an unlocked ecu i don't know what you can do for it tbh.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 06:20 AM)Poodle Wrote: I guess you've already tried locking and unlocking on the rcl and disconnecting the battery for half an hour? Besides buying an unlocked ecu i don't know what you can do for it tbh.

Yeah have tried locking and unlocking the rcl, no joy. Have disconnectd the battery late last night and left it over night so will reconnect it and see what happens in my lunch break, if i can persuade some one to come over with their car and jump leads in the freezing cold. Hope fully my mate will come over with peugeot planet, but neither of us are very good at using it.

Anyone tell me how to check the fuel pressure at the rail using pug planet please?

Looks like i will end up weighing her in if i don't get it sorted by tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
I didnt even know these things had an immobiliser!? how do you unlock the ecu?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Unlocking ECUs isn't easy, its usually done by A mapper.
Thanks given by: Chris1357
Really? thats shit! on 106's and saxos you just unplug the immobiliser module while the engines running...

Also on a ph1 306 you just unplug the keypad while the engine is running, surely there is a trick like that on the ph2/3?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 08:20 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Unlocking ECUs isn't easy, its usually done by A mapper.

Is it possible to bypass the bsi or immobliser part just to see if the car will start ?
Thanks given by:
An immobiliser wouldn't be much use if you could bypass it I'm afraid!! Confused

No Matt, I think it was probably done to be safer than the keypad immobs that you could just unplug. There are rumours you can unlock the ECU by unplugging it with the ignition on....but it could then re-lock at any point! Confused This is why you have to sell ph3 ECUs with the BSI (CL module for welshpug Tongue ) and key fobs - I hope you do at work lol.

I'm not sure if you can deactivate it in PP the same way the alarm can be deactivated... I've been tempted on mine seeing as the key/BSI seem to be playing up and I don't want it to leave me stranded!
Thanks given by:
Dont sell ecus at work as we cant fully test / warranty them.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, that's where half the money is in a HDi breaker these days lol! ~£70 for ECU and BSI with 3 keys and keycode.
Thanks given by:
Clear the code with Peugeot planet
Un plug the battery and wait 45 mins. I'd get a fully charged battery before you try starting it again.
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 10:15 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Clear the code with Peugeot planet
Un plug the battery and wait 45 mins. I'd get a fully charged battery before you try starting it again.

The code for the BSI

Permanent fault no reply. engine management control unit.

Can't get it to clear

Have disconnected the battery so will reconnect it at lunch time and see not really confident though.
Thanks given by:
It wont clear if its a permanent fault that's still occurring at the time.
Thanks given by:
Sorry my bad.
We had a similar problem on my old car and I think that was a temporary fault. Clear it and it started up again after not starting
Thanks given by:
As Tom said tbh.

Might be worth checking the plug connections for the ecu and bsi i guess, but beyond that...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-02-2015, 01:13 PM)Poodle Wrote: As Tom said tbh.

Might be worth checking the plug connections for the ecu and bsi i guess, but beyond that...

Yeah i had a look at the bsi module and the plugs all look good, no signs of damage as far as i can see to the loom, also left the battery disconnected overnight had the plug off the ecu and all looks good, sprayed it with wd40 any way, put it all back together and tried it again and still exactly the same, so looks like the end i guess, shame as i can't even get all the expensive shiney bits off her as i am at work and it is just sat looking sorry for her self in a car park.

Going to try and get peugeot planet on it later on after work and just see again, i tried it quickly at lunch and when it did it's scan it said it was unable to connect to the BSi.
Thanks given by:
Managed to get pp2000 back on tonight after work, and looked in parameter measurements, and as Pro steve said everything is just full of ???

So guessing an immobliser fault
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden Notchy Gear Changes JTaylor2005 8 1,833 11-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Intermittent sudden Power lost Peugeot306Modz 18 3,600 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Sudden non start hdi af1 25 3,677 31-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Last Post: af1