Is the 1.8 any good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the 1.8 any good?
After going back and forth thinking what car to get when my insurance renewal is here I've decided that any if the cars i wanted are all to expensive to insure so got me thinking of keeping the dt but i really fancy a petrol, so im thinking about the 1.8xs as it is similar insurance wise to the derv.

So whats it like? Reliability wise?

Performance is about the same as the d/t? Fuel economy isnt a worry so and i know there isn't a whole world of tuning to do but heard the gti manifolds and exhaust may free a few ponies up, mainly want something to rev the nuts off now and then and have some nice pops and barbles on the over run! Will i get that with the 1.8 with a new zorst?

Cheers!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
To be fair if you want to just do a few cheap bits and stay reliable you can't go to far wrong withe the 1.8 16v.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a load of power though.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
One of the best engine Pug ever did, and IMO is a much better engine than the '6.

Its a square engine, wet linered, and has an ally block so weighs considerably less. Relatively reliable yes, and an engine that loves to be revved.

Just my opinion ofcourse Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I've never managed to break a 1.8 and they can take some abuse! Big Grin

Only things that tend to fail are the icv and coil packs.
Thanks given by:
Fuel economy isn't a worry but the cost of insurance is?
The difference in fuel economy between the diesel and the 1.8 petrol will exceed the couple of hundred extra to insure what you want unless the difference is something silly like 1k, assuming you do a normal amount of miles in it and go to and from work.

If you want a petrol 306 I'd honestly consider just waiting a year and putting the fuel savings towards insuring a gti6 instead of a modified 1.8.

Just my 2p.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I think you'll gave fun with one, fair bit slower than a stage 1 DT though, about minus 20bhp and lots less torque Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Stage 1 HDI /thread Tongue 
Or GTI6, but its going to cost you a fortune to run compared to the above
Done 400 miles in my HDI today and it just piles on the miles efficiently as fast or slow as you want Smile
Thanks given by:
I'd rather drive a 1.8 than a HDi if mpg isn't a worry... Personal opinion really, but I just find the drive and powerband nicer on the 1.8, not to mention the noise. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Mpg isn't an issue as any driving is done for pleasure really as i can bike/walk to work if i really wanted to, to be honest if i could afford to insure something like a gti 6 i wouldnt be getting another 306, reason for the 1.8 is i want a petrol thats got some poke and the insurance is the same as the derv, also needing some petrol noises in my life [emoji12]
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
You cant really go wrong with an XS. Plus they have the sport suspension on and the same brakes as the GTI-6

My advice is buy as late a model as possible.

I have a spare 1.8 engine too if you need one
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
XS's come with 266mm brakes I think, not GTi 283s. But you're right about the suspension.
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 07:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: XS's come with 266mm brakes I think, not GTi 283s.  But you're right about the suspension.

Correct Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Okay...

So I've had my 1.8 for a few years now. Its not the engine to mod unless you've deep pockets. Its debatable if the gti6 manifolds actually do anything on the standard management.

I would recommend a stage 1 hdi over the 1.8. I mean the 1.8 is great but you'll get more power and economy out of a stage 1 hdi. I've spent thousands on mine and its got 130hp. A stage 1 hdi has 125 after 50 quid.
Thanks given by:
Or do what i have done and drop a 2.0 8v Turbo in, take no notice about what anybody says about the XU10J2TE lump, i am more than happy with its performance.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
If you do want a 1.8 this might be a good buy: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread....st#2221388
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 10:31 PM)RetroPug Wrote: If you do want a 1.8 this might be a good buy: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread....st#2221388

That be my motor Smile
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice, like i said not bothered about any increase in performance as its not gonna happen in a n/a without deep pockets, just want a cheap petrol with a bit of go in it just fancy a change from the derv! with the sport suspension does that mean it is on shock and spring on the back instead of a torsion bar?
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 11:32 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Cheers for the advice, like i said not bothered about any increase in performance as its not gonna happen in a n/a without deep pockets, just want a cheap petrol with a bit of go in it just fancy a change from the derv! with the sport suspension does that mean it is on shock and spring on the back instead of a torsion bar?

nope, just thicker torsion bars Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 11:32 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Cheers for the advice, like i said not bothered about any increase in performance as its not gonna happen in a n/a without deep pockets, just want a cheap petrol with a bit of go in it just fancy a change from the derv! with the sport suspension does that mean it is on shock and spring on the back instead of a torsion bar?

all 306s are torsion bars. As are 106s and 206s. 
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the replies, just debating wether to get an xs or keep the derv
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
1.8 engines are excellent, mine takes all the abuse I give it! sounds epic with a cherrybomb (Cheap and lots of noise) and i've whacked a K&N air filter to get noise from the front, makes a nice noise! also not the worst on fuel either. 400 mile to a tank I get roughly
Thanks given by:
tbh id keep the derv. the only difference between the two is terrible economy and noise...
Thanks given by:
Leaning towards staying with a derv and getting a hdi to stage 2
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 03:56 PM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Leaning towards staying with a derv and getting a hdi to stage 2

a much better choice than the 1.8
Thanks given by:
It'll keep breaking at stage 2. If you want reliability, keep a standard 1.8...
Thanks given by:
Would an HDi really be that unreliable with a sympathetic stage 2 tune? I'm not sure.

Clutch will need sorting certainly and it'll show up a weak LP or HP pump, but otherwise it shouldn't be that bad unless it's a particularly leggy or neglected example. After all, stage 1 (140/150hp) tunes on a HDi 110 aren't chronically unreliable that I'm aware of.

A 1.8 bottom end is lovely and it should have been the basis for a great engine, but sadly Peugeot chose to quite deliberately restrict it, presumably to keep a clear gap between it at the 2.0 engine, and removing those restrictions properly isn't a cheap process - head, cams, manifolds and management basically.

As an aside, since the whole reason for pondering a 1.8 was insurance, surely any tuning throws that argument out of the window as a modified 1.8 / HDi would probably cost more than a standard GTi-6 to insure?
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Buy* a 1.4 put a '6 lump in and dont tell the insurance #canofworms #forumpoliceinbound

I dont condone any of the above atall. (and i cant spell)
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
*buy
Thanks given by:
There's better 1.8 engines out there ninja
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
quantify "better" Tongue
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: