Toms306s Project - Fodge!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s Project - Fodge!
I'll hand it to the PD engines, they do go like a bat out of hell, but your whole experience has put me right off. I very, very nearly bought a black 5-door PD130 with an R32 bumper swap for £3,500. So glad I didn't now!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Surely that's a typo? I paid £2k for this one with a load of MOT and tax. Unfortunately I did get a 'bad' one, just like people get bad hdis, or xuds that pop rods, or tapping 6s lol.

You have to remember a lot of my issues were self inflicted.

The car had 129k miles when I bought it, and full service history on longlife oil! It's this thin shitty longlife oil that ruins the cams imo, and I asked on dubgen....all the failed cams there were also on longlife! The silver one didn't have any cam problems at over 140k and that had full service on time and distance with pd oil.

The turbo was my fault, the kinked oil catch tank pipe pipe built up so much pressure it forced oil out of other places around the engine, so as I say, it was getting on and pressurised oil HAS to go some where, the weakest seal usually.

And as for the DMF, they break on any new car, to have done 10 years and 136k without exploding is better than a lot! Much nicer than a smf though imo! Hydro clutch and cable gearshift are nicer too.

And things like wishbone bushes and CV boots go on any car, can't blame that on vw.

I must admit its odd breaking it, everything is so easy to remove compared with a HDi, not sure what people think is difficult about them, except needing special tools like spline keys, but other cars are full of torx so same difference really! And the build quality is MUCH better, still weren't any rattles, massive engine mounts compared to the tiny ones on the HDi, tonnes of sound deafening everywhere, everything still feels solid and built to last. There was nothing wrong with the headgasket, and the pistons still look brand new! It's just a shame they skimped on really important parts like cams lifters and DMFs! Although they also saved money on things that Pug didnt! There's only one pad wear sensor for example, not sure what's supposed to happen if your drivers side cwliper seizes and wears away the whole pad...a normal golf driver probably wouldn't notice without w warning light! Also there's only one bonnet lifters where Pug use 2. And they save money by manufacturing a lot if identical parts, shocks and springs are the same both sides for example.

I do have to be careful what I say on here obviously, but after driving a HDi, I really would take a standard pd150 over this thing anyday......IF ONLY the parts didn't cost much! When I owned the golf, I thought handling would've been more fun than.all out power.....turns out.it isn't, is rather have the torquey golf back in all honesty. But then I guess the grass is always greener isn't it. I was hating the golf the last few weeks I had it! Always worrying about noises, engine lights.....oh yeah and being pulled without all the mods declared, which wasn't even my fault, the damn insurers changed thier mind! they quoted me before fitting, I phoned afterwards and thier 'policy had changed'. f*ck them, I wasn't taking it all off again, but that meant I was driving round in fear of getting caught all the time! Undecided
Thanks given by:
This was a nice spec, didn't get to view it in the end but it had the climate control, winter pack inc. heated leather recaros and some aftermarket BBS wheels on it, did look very smart, and it only had 70k miles on it hence why it was more expensive. In fact it was a bit of a bargain at the time, compared with other prices.

Allas, I didn't get it, I didn't like the drive of a Bora I tested either and it seemed expensive, so I ended up with £3,500 worth of Ford Focus. Lost £400 in 3 months as I fecking hated it!!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2012, 09:43 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: This was a nice spec, didn't get to view it in the end but it had the climate control, winter pack inc. heated leather recaros and some aftermarket BBS wheels on it, did look very smart, and it only had 70k miles on it hence why it was more expensive. In fact it was a bit of a bargain at the time, compared with other prices.

Allas, I didn't get it, I didn't like the drive of a Bora I tested either and it seemed expensive, so I ended up with £3,500 worth of Ford Focus. Lost £400 in 3 months as I fecking hated it!!

Ah fair enough, don't see many with milage like that now lol!

Leather recaros in a 130 is damn rare, they weren't standard in 130s, have to make do with the cloth 'recaro style' seats in the GT TDI 130! Dodgy Which arent as comfy as the meridian half leathers in all honesty. They have a lot more movement, but still never found a comfortable position.

Yeah I wouldn't have bought a Focus personally, would've had the mondeo as they're so much nicer inside and look better imo - infact I may still be considering a TDCi. ninja

Thing is, I'll be 21 in Feb, and I'll get 4 yrs NCB at the end of Feb, so insurance shouldn't be too much of an issue then.....meaning I can spend a little more on a car! Big Grin

I thought I could 'put up with' a standard HDi for a while, but its really not happening lol. I'll probably get another one from xmas until ~Feb so insurance doesnt change when I give Sams car back. But after that I think I'll be looking about for something a little quicker and better specced as standard! Smile
Thanks given by:
Well.......I guess thats it. Sad

[Image: Forsaleanddestructioncertificate51212096.jpg]

On the plus side I'm at £1,926 from breaking it, and still got a few parts left to sell, so should easily achieve £2k from it now, which is near enough what I paid lol. Anything that doesnt sell in next two weeks is getting binned as I dont want golf parts hanging around into next year lol.
Thanks given by:
tom just spare a thought next time you open a tin of bake beans, as it could be the golf.
Thanks given by:
I don't eat baked beans lol.

Also the grand total is now £1996....4 fecking quid to go! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
That's pretty good going to be fair
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it was mint and high SPEC though, I know I wouldn't make half that from breaking my estate.

And the stuff I still have left should be worth something too, cruise control stuff, climatronic stuff, various switches. And the rear doors I can't even give away lol, so they'll be going to the tip with the rear bumper next week.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 10:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't eat baked beans lol.

ok tom lol, when you open a tin or a can then. just take a min to remember the shitty golf.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 11:30 PM)procta Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 10:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't eat baked beans lol.

ok tom lol, when you open a tin or a can then. just take a min to remember the shitty golf.

I take lots of moments to remember the shitty Golf. Undecided Everytime I go for the cruise control stalk...or the arm rest....or the MPG computer....or the proper climate control.... lmao

But on another note, sold over £50 of parts today, over £2k now, woop! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Whooo another golf off the road! Big Grin
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Very true lol. So, now to trade in the estate for another Golf! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 06:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Very true lol. So, now to trade in the estate for another Golf! Big Grin

I will drive to your house and violently masturbate on your living room window if you do so.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 06:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Very true lol. So, now to trade in the estate for another Golf! Big Grin

tom if you do that, iam gonna drive down there and weigh the replacement golf in my self. then split the cash with the forum! maybe give you a quid so that everyones a winner.
Thanks given by:
lmao So you don't think its a good idea then? lol
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom, long time no see, how are you?

How did you find the Golf?
Tempted by one at the moment as I could do with the extra doors of a 5dr as my wife is due to give birth to our second child this week. Have a 306 Rallye at the moment and am seriously tempted to sell it / swap and go for a MK4 Golf.

My wife has an 02 Audi A4 Avant with the TDI 130 engine and had no issues with it, has been a great car. Not read all the project thread, but did you have the 130 or 150 engine?
I'm not fussed by petrol or diesel so could go for the 150bhp Petrol GTI
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 07:02 PM)Niall Wrote:

I will drive to your house and violently masturbate on your living room window if you do so.

ill join in with this when im back from uni. dont go thinking its snow!
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 12:07 PM)Silky Wrote: Hi Tom, long time no see, how are you?

How did you find the Golf?
Tempted by one at the moment as I could do with the extra doors of a 5dr as my wife is due to give birth to our second child this week. Have a 306 Rallye at the moment and am seriously tempted to sell it / swap and go for a MK4 Golf.

My wife has an 02 Audi A4 Avant with the TDI 130 engine and had no issues with it, has been a great car. Not read all the project thread, but did you have the 130 or 150 engine?
I'm not fussed by petrol or diesel so could go for the 150bhp Petrol GTI

Hi Michael, I'm not bad mate. Yourself?

Honestly - the Golf was the best car I've ever owned, I'm not saying that to wind people up on here, its genuinely true. Easily the fastest, definitely the highest spec and the most comfortable. And also easily the cheapest to run, 65mpg average and only £115 a year to tax. Can't even compare a 306 to it in all honesty. The main problems are VAG tax (which you'll know about with an Audi anyway lol) and the poor handling, they really are boat like. I had the 130 GT TDI, but this one had been abused and more importantly run on longlife servicing. Longlife oil is what killed the cams and lifters, almost certain of it. And the DMFs wear out on any car, mine had done well to get to 136k tbh.

I know you dont do many miles, so in your situation I'd go for the 1.8t petrol. More fun and less engine problems. Does drink quite a bit of fuel though, you'll be lucky to average anywhere near 40mpg from it - granted that'll be better than the rallye though!

Personally I do miss the Golf, and would have another straight away.........If someone else was paying! I just can't justify it for myself atm, and I'd probably go straight for a newer A3 when I can afford VAG again.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that Tom, all good hear mate.

Well I have a PD130 in the Audi so no doubt it's the same engine. I have that car fully serviced and kept fully sorted through Audi Colchester so I know what you mean about prices etc.

My Rallye is great fun, though could do with some rear doors for kids/baby etc.

Gonna have a look about, the 1.8T seem to be cheaper. Will see what I can find but cheers for the comments.

the HDI estate looks mean mate, needs slamming though and big rims haha
Thanks given by:
I hope your Audi is on time and distance rather than longlife! Confused

As for the estate, it's already slammed on big rims! Tongue

You shoulda seen it standard height on the swallows haha. lol Incidentally, they're still the 'clones I bought off you from the Astor DTurbo you broke. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It get's serviced every 6k miles at Audi so should always be fresh, not sure what oil is used

Still the same Clones?!?!? Great effort, they're a few years old now
Thanks given by:
It's not longlife if.its every 6k lol, will be PD oil so that's good. Smile

And yeah lol, only had 2 new tyres as well.......however they were off the car for over a year while I was driving golfs lol.
Thanks given by:
Well, total from breaking is - £2177. Smile

Still a few bits but I doubt they'll go till next year now so I'm calling that it. Also, not really sure how I got that much, I didn't really sell anything for much lol, proof that VAG shite isn't necessarily expensive.....

• Armrest - £40
• Turbo/EGR Delete - £310
• Gearshift - £20
• Seats - £70
• Jetta Wheels - £180
• Diesel - £45
• Parcel shelf/Rear light cover - £20
• Grill - £10
• PiperX/DIN Pocket - £30
• Front Bumper - £50
• Sun visors/Grab Handles - £15
• Headlights - £40
• Door cards - £20
• Rear lights - £36
• PD130 Injectors - £130
• Rear Brake Setup - £20
• Tax - £43
• Tailgate - £10
• Scrap (Ally/Loom) - £14
• Aerial - £7
• Gearbox - £180
• Bonnet - £20
• Passenger Door - £30
• Undertray/Wipers - £20
• Dogbone Mount - £5
• Scrap (Subframe/Beam etc.) - £20
• Anti-Roll Bar - £12
• TR SMIC/Decat/pipes/Mani - £200
• Gear knob - £11
• Passenger wing - £17
• Drivers door/Wing - £40
• PAS Rack - £23
• Spare Steel - £23
• TIP - £14
• Steering Wheel - £30
• Front/rear Cup holders - £22
• Centre Console Front/Rear - £38
• MAF - £5
• Air box - £10
• Rear Ashtray - £6
• Dash Clocks - £5
• Rear Wiper Motor - £13
• Alternator - £5
• Starter Motor - £9
• Mapped ECU - £46
• PD130 SMIC/Pipes - £80
• Climatronic Unit - £10
• Climatronic Panel - £1
• Wing Mirrors - £43
• Turn Angle Sensor - £1
• Strut Top Covers - £1
• Seatbelts - £15
• Cylinder Head - £20
• 288mm GTi Brake Setup - £20
• Hydro Clutch Pedal - £5
• Comfort Module - £21
• Passenger Hub - £11
• Drivers Hub - £5
• Scrap (Doors/Struts/Ally) - £30

Current Total - £2177
Thanks given by:
Well, as I've had to move the block I set about stripping it today, couldn't lift it otherwise lol.

Anyway, glad I did break it after seeing the clutch and flywheel, looks like they got a little warm....oops! lol

[Image: GolfEngineParts023.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts024.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts025.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts026.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts027.jpg]

Was suprised how clean the sump was though, 306 ones are usually full of thick rank shite!

[Image: GolfEngineParts029.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts032.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts033.jpg]

[Image: GolfEngineParts034.jpg]

And it ended up as this....gonna stick some on ebay as its free listing.........plus I want someone to take the block as I still cantlift the bugger! lol

[Image: GolfEngineParts036.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State" Toms306 227 86,474 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191