Tracing the owner of a car ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracing the owner of a car ?
I want to trace the owner of a specific registration plate. It's been on the car since it was first registered, to most it's nothing special. The car in question is still on the road, taxed till July and MOT'd till may. At least I can find that out via the DVLA.
I also know the engine size, it's diesel and an MB.

I know that you can fill in a form for the DVLA with a reason and pay £2.50 and get the info.
However my reason isn't listed by them and thus everyone suggests will be rejected (but I can try anyway if I exhaust other avenues).

I read that Experian’s Keeper Enquiry System will give out the owner details but I don't have access to that and it's business only.
I also believe that a HPI check can confirm that but I'm not sure ??

Does anyone have access to either and would be able to do a check for me please?
I just want the owners details so I can either make them an offer on the whole car or hopefully just the plate and surprise the Mrs for her birthday.
Thanks given by:
Unless you "know someone" doubt you'll get anywhere with this.

Data protection 'n all that.

There not gonna give out peoples personal info for any fee.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Considered lying to the DVLA?

Possibly slightly illegal mind.
Thanks given by:
Sounds a bit dodgey to me! D:
Thanks given by:
Well I wondered how all the classic car folks are able to trace previous owners etc.

"Your HPI Check does not provide the names of or information pertaining to a vehicle's previous or current owner(s)."

I know the PNC route is a no hope either.

I know a lad that used to be in the insurance game (fraud actually) but I'm pretty sure it was PMITA if he got caught doing it too without a damn good reason.

And I don't wish to lie because it's quite clear that would be an offence.
Thanks given by:
The DVLA wont give you details

A. unless you are BPA registered parking company or local authority or have a court order.

B. the vehicle was in some form of accident or you feel it was responsible for some damage but the driver left no details for whatever, non criminal, reason.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 11:36 AM)toseland Wrote: The DVLA wont give you details

A. unless you are BPA registered parking company or local authority or have a court order.

B. the vehicle was in some form of accident or you feel it was responsible for some damage but the driver left no details for whatever, non criminal, reason.

But even if B they would probably just say report it to the police or your insurance company for them to trace as i doubt the DVLA will just dish peoples name & address out on request lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah I can't see this information being available. You could be a car thief for anyone knows
Thanks given by:
I've been in the car game for many years and can't recall any hpi ever offering to show me keeper details, though most companies use experian so it could be different
Thanks given by:
Quote:Vehicle owner information can
be highly sensitive, so the DVLA
will only offer this information to
companies that can demonstrate
a ‘reasonable cause’ for obtaining it.
Before you can submit a Keeper
Enquiry, Experian will agree with you
a permitted purpose for receiving
keeper information. This will then
be a part of your contract with
Experian and the DVLA, to ensure
keeper data you receive is only
used in accordance with the law
So yeah, it'd have to be "someone in the know" for an insurance company or finance etc.
Bugger.

Will have to try the MB forums and see if I can track it down. It's a 21 yr old derv.
Either it's a veg bitch, or it's got an enthusiast single owner.
Thanks given by:
Don't you know a copper?

ninja DumDum ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I did find his suggestion funny considering... Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 12:35 PM)silverzx Wrote: Don't you know a copper?

ninja DumDum ninja

But all PNC checks are logged so what would be the excuse if questioned ?
Thanks given by:
Terror related offenses haha << the default excuse
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
It would be an offence for you to ask a police officer to do a PNC check without a legitimate reason.
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 10:21 AM)nominous Wrote: Well I wondered how all the classic car folks are able to trace previous owners etc.

V5 and service history receipts can usually get you names and addresses of previous owners of a car you own.  But I don't see any legal way of gaining the info on a 'random' car.
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 12:15 PM)todd1983 Wrote: Yeah I can't see this information being available. You could be a car thief for anyone knows

Or want to 'follow up' on a road rage incident. Its a PITA but i think its a good thing that the info is not readily available.
Thanks given by: