Next car suggestions..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next car suggestions..
Hello all, the end of next month sees my first year of driving which means the all important year no claims, i am looking for another car and was hoping some of you could suggest some. my original plan was to get a Golf 20v Turbo (don't throw stones at me!) but insurance quotes have changed on that and is out of the price range, then looked into other diesels, like the PD130 range, which are probably at the top of my budget for insurance, but ideally i would really like a petrol next and not sure what so suggestions would be appreciated! I did think about the 1.8 306, which is well within the insurance price range, but I dont really want another 306.

Criteria- 

- Must be under £2000
- Must be insurable for 20 year old male with 1 year no claims
- Not another 306, or french for that matter! lmao fancy a change
- Petrol
- At least as quick as a DT

Ta!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Any other requirements? It is a commuter, do you carry a lot of passengers etc. are you after just fun, want 5 doors ? Etc.

Assuming you want something a typical 20 year old will want Id recommend a focus st170 if u can get insured. Or focus 2.0 esp (130bhp) model came in 3 door and with a few subtle mods does sit quite nice.

Try the mark 4 Astras, the n/a 2.0 and 140bhp 2,2 are only band 12-14 I think(old banding system). Or a corsa sri 1.8.

German wise I think the n/a 2.0 gti mark 4 golf (only 115bhp) is insurable 2.

Then there's always the non vvt 1.8 Mg zr/rover 25 those were 120bhp.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Saaaaaaab!

Cheap as chips, and youll struggle to find one that isnt as quick as a DT.
Thanks given by:
Don't go for a mk4 2.0 GTi....you'll be overtaken by diesels everywhere, and they'll still be doing better mpg, its an awful engine for that car, only good for reliability.

Unfortunately Mk4s have held their values too well, and thanks to some well known security issues, are still stolen/broken into regularly which keeps the insurance high for them. As much as I like them, there is better about for the price/insurance now.

As above though, could do with some more criteria really!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah im aware of how awful the N/A Mk4 GTI's are!

It is a daily driver, but work is literally 5 mins away so mpg isn't an issue, i want something fun to drive, not bothered about 3 or 5 door, probably a hatchback, but any suggestion i will look into! and forgot to mention NO Vauxhalls I have a strange hate for all things Vauxhall lmao

I love driving so it's mainly something fun, that is a bit more nippy than a DT that's not going to break every week
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
If it's 5 minutes away, walk you lazy bugger. Tongue

Then save your petrol for fun at the weekends....
Thanks given by:
Seat Leon, Audi A3 or Skoda Fabia.

BMW 318 compact but insurance might be extortionate.

Civic Type-S
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 10:12 AM)306carter Wrote: Seat Leon, Audi A3 or Skoda Fabia.

Civic Type-S

The 316 compact is cheap to insure and still fun.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 10:51 AM)Orta Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 10:12 AM)306carter Wrote: Seat Leon, Audi A3 or Skoda Fabia.

Civic Type-S

The 316 compact is cheap to insure and still fun.

I'm 20 with one years ncb and the 318 with the 2.0 engine was fairly cheap to insure when I was looking
Thanks given by:
Did a few quotes on a 318 and insurance is a bit too pricey, thanks anyway! Have been looking at the 1.6 zetec s mk6 fiesta, nice little cars just not many that cheap!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 09:31 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Saaaaaaab!

Cheap as chips, and youll struggle to find one that isnt as quick as a DT.

YES  

For 2k you can get a really well specced 95,93 

Good old comfort wagon and do shift aswell Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 09:43 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't go for a mk4 2.0 GTi....you'll be overtaken by diesels everywhere, and they'll still be doing better mpg, its an awful engine for that car, only good for reliability.

Unfortunately Mk4s have held their values too well, and thanks to some well known security issues, are still stolen/broken into regularly which keeps the insurance high for them.  As much as I like them, there is better about for the price/insurance now.

Thats why people de-lock them Blush
Thanks given by:
I've got 110bhp seat Toledo for sale. You should buy that 1200 Wink has cruise control full electrics the works. Mpgs more power than a dt and is vw group.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
A non-rusty puma 1.7. In good nick they are superb car and will teach you a huge amount about handling and carrying speed.

Fabia or Octavia vRS both are good cars, make sure they've proper service history.

406 v6 coupe d9. Rapid and cheap to buy /fix. Jbl stereo can be awesome and bilstein b6 transform it.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
thinking of going for a diesel for now as they are cheaper to insure, so really wanting something with the VAG PD130 engine been looking at the Fabia VRs and Ibiza Fr, fairly cheap to insure just abut finding one at the right price
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 11:46 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: thinking of going for a diesel for now as they are cheaper to insure, so really wanting something with the VAG PD130 engine been looking at the Fabia VRs and Ibiza Fr, fairly cheap to insure just abut finding one at the right price

Considered a VW Bora PD130 Highline spec full heated leather with all the toys aswell ?
Thanks given by:
I have, but the insurance is a little bit on the expensive side as with everything vw! Although they can be picked up fairly cheap so it sort of balances itself out
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 10:09 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I've got 110bhp seat Toledo for sale. You should buy that 1200 Wink has cruise control full electrics the works. Mpgs more power than a dt and is vw group.

Selling it already bash 

Is it really that bad lol 
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Turns out the Bora se is the cheapest out of the pd130 range to buy and insure, considering it but undecided wether i like them enough to buy one, but a remapped pd130 gives an easy 170hp and 300 tourqes which i very much like!
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 01:52 PM)7057sam Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 10:09 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I've got 110bhp seat Toledo for sale. You should buy that 1200 Wink has cruise control full electrics the works. Mpgs more power than a dt and is vw group.

Selling it already bash 

Is it really that bad lol 

My mrs hates it! She wants a 306 again. I love it but nothings going to replace the estate I've put a lot of work into it
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 02:24 PM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Turns out the Bora se is the cheapest out of the pd130 range to buy and insure, considering it but undecided wether i like them enough to buy one, but a remapped pd130 gives an easy 170hp and 300 tourqes which i very much like!

It's basically a Golf withh a boot but i know lots of people who don't like the front end just swap the wings/bonnet/bumper & lights over (which is all bolt on) to make it a Gora lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah there not the best looking car but not the worst, yeah might well do the bolf/gora idea! There actually really cheap insurance, may even be able to get the 20v 1.8t which was the original engine i wanted Smile
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
Bora handles better than the golf.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2015, 08:47 PM)Pgtips Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 09:43 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't go for a mk4 2.0 GTi....you'll be overtaken by diesels everywhere, and they'll still be doing better mpg, its an awful engine for that car, only good for reliability.

Unfortunately Mk4s have held their values too well, and thanks to some well known security issues, are still stolen/broken into regularly which keeps the insurance high for them.  As much as I like them, there is better about for the price/insurance now.

Thats why people de-lock them Blush

Yep, but only the people that know about it, which isn't many compared to the amount on the road. Sad 

Bora boot is rubbish btw, you can fit more in a Golf!  Plus they look really dated now lol. 
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 03:58 PM)philpemberton94 Wrote: Yeah there not the best looking car but not the worst, yeah might well do the bolf/gora idea! There actually really cheap insurance, may even be able to get the 20v 1.8t which was the original engine i wanted Smile

Sure you will find out loads more on here if you're interested in a specific engine  http://uk-mkivs.net/forums
Thanks given by:
In terms of insurance no-one can tell you what's insurable, that depends on what it costs you and what you're prepared to pay. What kind of drive are you after? Nippy B-road basher? Motorway cruiser? Track days? Easy to drive in traffic round town?

Literally you could go for anything with your criteria (insurance excepted, but I don't know what's "manageable" for you), so it's hard to suggest anything, first things I'd look at with that criteria would be a mark 2 Golf GTI, a Merc 420SE I've seen for sale, or a Eunos that my mate is selling, 3 totally different cars that all fit your criteria. If you'd have French, I'd say 205 GTI.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2015, 11:46 AM)philpemberton94 Wrote: thinking of going for a diesel for now as they are cheaper to insure, so really wanting something with the VAG PD130 engine been looking at the Fabia VRs and Ibiza Fr, fairly cheap to insure just abut finding one at the right price

You want the Seat Ibiza Sport then (2002-2004)
It is the FR, before they called it the FR.

It's got the ASZ PD130 engine, but unlike the Fabia vRS you can pick them up under £1500.
Thanks given by:
Yeah have been looking at them, its between that and the bora as they are cheapest insurance, leaning towards the bora as they are slightly cheaper can pick a 2005 highline with all the gear like heated seats, cruise control, parking sensors ect for less than 2k and the fact that parts are the same as the golf
No smoke, No poke!
Thanks given by:
If you're getting a Bora, check the front wings, they'll probably have holes in them. lol
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2015, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If you're getting a Bora, check the front wings, they'll probably have holes in them. lol

But if they don't then remove the wheel arch liner & rip that sponge block crap out  that VW put it as that's the cause !
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking of doing the unthinkable. Suggestions? Dodgy Bob 22 4,881 13-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Dodgy Bob
  nurburgring camping suggestions firemoth 1 929 27-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Project Car Suggestions Kezzieboy 89 14,194 22-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy