Smoke from GTI...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke from GTI...
So i hadn't driven the GTI in a good 10 days. Been sat in the cold, not doing a lot.

Went to go get some shopping and fuel; fluids were nicely up to temps as i got to the sliproad and put my right foot down for the first time in 10 days.

It's fit with a decat; and at top rev range in first and second, i had whispy, white looking smoke.

It didn't linger but was very whispy. Car is fitted with a decat if it makes any difference?

Was this just a spewing of it's coldness or something more serious Sad
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Well.... if its slightly f*cked or massively f*cked... its still going to require a rebuild. I wouldnt worry about it in this weather. Willing to be told im an idiot on this one though!
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2015, 10:37 PM)SRowell Wrote: Well.... if its slightly f*cked or massively f*cked... its still going to require a rebuild. I wouldnt worry about it in this weather. Willing to be told im an idiot on this one though!

yeh; i very much doubt it is f*cked; it holds fluids, temps, power etc absolutely fine. I've driven f*cked engines before...but then again, first '6 i've owned and seen this. I'm hoping it's just where it's been sat for a while, it's kicking crap out
Thanks given by:
Nah it's fine, it's just steam. Everything gets damp when they sit for a while at this time of year, as long as its not permanent plumes I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks given by:
Its absolutely fine mate. A lot of people don't know the difference between white smoke and steam but there is a huge difference in what they are telling you!
Id expect it to be fairly steamy and maybe a bit of white smoke if its been left for a while in this weather. GTIs can smoke a bit anyway as they dump a bit of fuel on certain gear changes for piston cooling.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
These engines do produce quite a bit of condensation and steam which is particularly visible in the cold.
Watch out for it, but it should be ok.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
As above, if its been sat ages then everything is going to get moist or condensed.

If its bothering you that much, get an old white sock and put it over the exhaust on idle. I pet a pint that its clean when you take it off.

Unlike my socks....
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2015, 01:21 PM)Grant Wrote: As above, if its been sat ages then everything is going to get moist or condensed.

If its bothering you that much, get an old white sock and put it over the exhaust on idle. I pet a pint that its clean when you take it off.

Unlike my socks....

Well this has given me confidence lol

Thanks for the replies; will keep an eye on it
Thanks given by:
Don't worry about it, you'll know when it properly lets go Wink
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: