306 cabriolet to gti6 conversion!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 cabriolet to gti6 conversion!
So if someone you haven't seen already on Facebook, but a friend went into the back of my gti6.
Instead of repairing it I'm planning to reshell it into a cabriolet. Atm we're still trying to find the right cabriolet for the job, but once bought work will start.

I'm going to be pretty much stripping the cabriolet shell get it cleaned up, undercoated and rebuild some bits.
Engine bay will be cleaned, engine painted, and other parts.

Just got a few questions to ask.
what's differences is there between cabriolet and gti6? suspension, interior and body.

When changing the engine other than gear box and steering rack, what else will I need to change?

What will be best thing to do when it comes to ecu, wiring loom and immobiliser?

Also what's difference between the rear beams? I know some 306s do have the same as the gti6.

Anything I may need to know?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you ever driven a cabby?

They are a very different drive to a hatch, some people like them, some hate it.
Thanks given by:
Never driven one, but it's different and worth a go. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Softer suspension - its a show car, not a race car.
Interior - Front seats mount differently, rears are not as wide
Body - Umm, the obvious lack of roof... Tongue

Not sure how much you'll need to change over, but as you've already got a whole donor car I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Immobiliser is an interesting one, if it'd been a ph3, you could just swap the ECU, BSI and use the key fobs from the hatch. But being a ph2 I'm not sure how it's done. Niall/Cully probably know.

Cabby rear beams are softer, again its meant as a showy cruiser rather than a race car. Smile
Thanks given by: Chris1357
I know the front wings are different 
Thanks given by:
Rear beam is usually disc but has 19mm bars.

Not sure why you would need to swap steering rack.

Otherwise, switch looms, engine n gearbox and ecu and perhaps clocks depending on what the cabby is standard. Exhaust too be an idea!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I asked about cab rear axles before and they are smaller arb as well as smaller torsion bars
Thanks given by:
Switch the front arb as well mate and make sure you fit a strut brace an no other suspension mod makes a bigger difference to the cab

You'll need to use a cab exhaust as the wheelbase is shorter and remember the fuel tank is only 50l.

As for wiring just get your ecu unlocked and don't worry about the immobiliser. Plug the gti engine loom into the 2 plugs on the cab chassis leg.

Oh and if you go super low remember that the cab sills drop quite a bit at the back so you will catch everything. The sills are huge inside the car so you do loose a little footwell space.
Thanks given by:
Just be aware this will never handle like a hatch, or be as quick accelerating either (because they're lardy azz). If you're going to do it anyway i'd do it as a show car, not as something to be driven on the door handles, as it'll only disappoint.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-12-2014, 05:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: Rear beam is usually disc but has 19mm bars.

Not sure why you would need to swap steering rack.

Otherwise, switch looms, engine n gearbox and ecu and perhaps clocks depending on what the cabby is standard. Exhaust too be an idea!
I wasn't sure if the torsion bars was thicker or not.
I'll be changing to the gti6 beam and possibly put xsara vts bars in while I'm at it.
Also the steering rack needs to be changed to gti6 because of the gear box.

(17-12-2014, 05:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Switch the front arb as well mate and make sure you fit a strut brace an no other suspension mod makes a bigger difference to the cab
I already have upper and lower strut brace, so that's them sorted.
Arb is a good point, I just fitted new genuine arb bushes to the gti6 as well. :-)

You'll need to use a cab exhaust as the wheelbase is shorter and remember the fuel tank is only 50l.
I was thinking of getting a full custom exhaust as I wasn't sure if the cab exhaust will mate with the gti6 cat.
I can live with a 50l tank! Will make it look full :-)

As for wiring just get your ecu unlocked and don't worry about the immobiliser. Plug the gti engine loom into the 2 plugs on the cab chassis leg.
This is what I was mostly worrying about... is it true that I just run my gti6 and unplug ecu while it's running?
Wasn't sure if I'd have to change the wiring loom on the inside or not, then change bsi and immobiliser.

Oh and if you go super low remember that the cab sills drop quite a bit at the back so you will catch everything. The sills are huge inside the car so you do loose a little footwell space.
Well I think the most I was going to go would be about 60mm if I'm honest, I was going to put my 17s on till I can find something else.
Could I put the 3dr side skirts on?

(17-12-2014, 06:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: Just be aware this will never handle like a hatch, or be as quick accelerating either (because they're lardy azz). If you're going to do it anyway i'd do it as a show car, not as something to be driven on the door handles, as it'll only disappoint.
I'm not expecting it to handle the same, obviously it was be on good suspension with all the gti6 extras. Plus all bushes will either be new or polybushed.

It is going to be more of a show car than anything.
I've always wanted a cab but never liked the engine they came with.

I'm going to be running my gti6 till the cab shell is ready for engine and things.
But even still ill be without a car for a while as I'm going to be painting engine and get a few little bits done to it while its out.

Thanks for all the help guys, i roughly know what to expect. But extra help is always needed. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
3dr hatch skirts wont fit annoyingly.

Im still confused why a gti6 rack is needed for the gti6 gearbox!? Whats the difference?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's a shorter rack, cos otherwise on full lock the wheel would hit the gearbox Iirc.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
The ram on the 6 rack cuts down on the rh lock iirc
Thanks given by:
You don't NEED to change racks, SRowells 6 speed box is on with original rack. I'm not keen on the 6 rack either, think its slower than a HDi rack but might be my imagination, theres also an earlier stop on right lock.
Thanks given by:
The gti6 has a quicker rack doesn't it?

And you can't fit 3 door skirts due to the shorter wheelbase.

If you get the ecu unlocked you shouldn't have to worry about bsi
Thanks given by:
Why would you change gearbox? Keep the 6 speed surely... In my mind the only things you need to swap are...

engine and gearbox ecu and loom etc inc clocks.
Suspension front and rear including ARB. Id also swap over the brakes etc.
Apart from that im not sure how much is swapable!
Thanks given by:
as others have said, there's a restrictor on the lock for the gti6 to stop the wheel hitting the gearbox, a friend of mine put a non-gti6 rack onto a gti6 a few years back and polished a nice shinny groove in the gearbox... not sure if its a restricted ram itself or if its got a stopper or something I'm sure someone else will be along to answer that bit
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2014, 11:29 PM)MCH Wrote: as others have said, there's a restrictor on the lock for the gti6 to stop the wheel hitting the gearbox, a friend of mine put a non-gti6 rack onto a gti6 a few years back and polished a nice shinny groove in the gearbox... not sure if its a restricted ram itself or if its got a stopper or something I'm sure someone else will be along to answer that bit

Just to put it out there. Ive fitted the gti6 box with a non-gti6 rack so i know what its like...

Basically yes you scrub the box. Its not a problem. You can feel the steering go hard when youre parking etc. Just robs on the box. All you need to do is get some tubing cut it open and stick it on the ram so it locks before hitting the box. Easy.
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2014, 11:41 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(18-12-2014, 11:29 PM)MCH Wrote: as others have said, there's a restrictor on the lock for the gti6 to stop the wheel hitting the gearbox, a friend of mine put a non-gti6 rack onto a gti6 a few years back and polished a nice shinny groove in the gearbox... not sure if its a restricted ram itself or if its got a stopper or something I'm sure someone else will be along to answer that bit

Just to put it out there. Ive fitted the gti6 box with a non-gti6 rack so i know what its like...

Basically yes you scrub the box. Its not a problem. You can feel the steering go hard when youre parking etc. Just robs on the box. All you need to do is get some tubing cut it open and stick it on the ram so it locks before hitting the box. Easy.
Or just change the rack and ram anyway. :-)
I have a full doner car anyway and with my gti6 most parts have been replaced with new anyway so it's going to save a lot of money with the build. :-)

Made plans to go and look at a cabriolet on Saturday with a knackered gear box.
Hopefully this could be the one. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2014, 11:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: Basically yes you scrub the box. Its not a problem.

Another fantastic piece of chassis advice from Rowell... Nospeak

Be daft to not swap the rack if you've got it tbh. The gti6 suspension won't make up for lack of chassis stiffness and the extra weight, but as long as you're aware of what that means i'd say drash on. I'd recommend a massive cone filter and rally-spec exhaust, sounds amazing with the roof down lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My advice is amazing and to the point. Of course if youve got a gti6 rack throw it on.... if not... give it to me!
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 07:11 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(18-12-2014, 11:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: Basically yes you scrub the box. Its not a problem.

Another fantastic piece of chassis advice from Rowell... Nospeak

Be daft to not swap the rack if you've got it tbh. The gti6 suspension won't make up for lack of chassis stiffness and the extra weight, but as long as you're aware of what that means i'd say drash on. I'd recommend a massive cone filter and rally-spec exhaust, sounds amazing with the roof down lol.
You must of read my mind!
It's going for pure noise more than power.

A cabriolet isn't about being fast. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
v6 it then..

no multiplex no bsi.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
6 engine sounds better imo, should stick cams and tbs on it for maximum effect!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If its just sound you're after....keep current engine and thump a huge straight through exhaust and kNn on it!!

And reshell the 6!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Can't believe no one has said xud it lol

V6 would be a ball ache with drive shaft,engine mounts,clutch.

Gti6 it FTW
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 03:58 PM)welshpug Wrote: v6 it then..

no multiplex no bsi.
Will sound good, but gti6 is better Imo, plus I already have a gti6.
(19-12-2014, 08:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: 6 engine sounds better imo, should stick cams and tbs on it for maximum effect!
Throttle bodies are eventually the plan, always have been. Was going to start getting parts soon as Christmas is over, but I now have to start getting cab shell ready and buy other things.
But see what money I have when engine is out and I might tray it to cams :-) be rude not to while engine is out.
(19-12-2014, 10:19 PM)Piggy Wrote: If its just sound you're after....keep current engine and thump a huge straight through exhaust and kNn on it!!

And reshell the 6!
No cos it's slow and shit on fuel.
I want to do something you don't see very often. :-)

(19-12-2014, 11:01 PM)7057sam Wrote: Can't believe no one has said xud it lol

V6 would be a ball ache with drive shaft,engine mounts,clutch.

Gti6 it FTW

Yeah gti6 sounds with the roof down is purely the reason I'm doing this! :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
So finally found a cabriolet! Nice little China blue on 100k.
Not had chance to start anything yet because I started a new job.
But I'm picking up some red leathers tomorrow for it.

Also new job means more money, which means throttle bodies will be happening very soon! ;-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Sweet mate

Looks tidy,I keep wondering whether to bite the bullet and buy jenvey or be a piky and go bike bodies.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Good lad
Thanks given by: