• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Budget - What to get??
Tapatalk fail.....
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:I need sub and amp Smile

I know that, but 1200w might be a little excessive for the subs I have, it would, however, be great for the 1000w audiobahn that Phil is wanting to power with it, I might have a smaller maystar amp?
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:

I know that, but 1200w might be a little excessive for the subs I have, it would be great for the 1000w audiobahn that Phil is wanting to power with it, I might have a smaller maystar amp?

to be fair i'll need 2 amps - a main amp for the sub i'll be getting (undecided) and a seperate smaller amp for 2 front components
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:to be fair i'll need 2 amps - a main amp for the sub i'll be getting (undecided) and a seperate smaller amp for 2 front components

I will send you some pics and info over tonight as to what I have then mate Smile As I say I thought I PM'd you already but clearly I fail lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
i have a gd cd player for sale £45 posted Smile
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ben87 Wrote:i have a gd cd player for sale £45 posted Smile

just bought Kenwood KDC-BT61U Wink

ta anywho
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:

I know that, but 1200w might be a little excessive for the subs I have, it would be great for the 1000w audiobahn that Phil is wanting to power with it, I might have a smaller maystar amp?

What a gem that is mark ninja that amp is a basslovers must! With phils sub it would be immense!!! PHIL BUY THAT AMP !!!

Sorry ginge....
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Just get one of those vibe sub built in amp things they sound sweet anyway dont know why you would need any more Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
tomw1123 Wrote:Just get one of those vibe sub built in amp things they sound sweet anyway dont know why you would need any more Big Grin

Because unless you spend big £££ on an active sub, the bass is dirty, with no clarity to it, and it just goes booom with no depth to the sound. And rattles your car to hell and back...

Edit: Unless you go for a basslink, I've heard these and for what you pay, they are pretty good!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
tomw1123 Wrote:Just get one of those vibe sub built in amp things they sound sweet anyway dont know why you would need any more Big Grin

Because unless you spend big £££ on an active sub, the bass is dirty, with no clarity to it, and it just goes booom with no depth to the sound. And rattles your car to hell and back...

Yep I can confirm bass link is good for small bass!
I've also heard that the new kenwood flat active sub is pretty epic but that's 250 quid Sad

Edit: Unless you go for a basslink, I've heard these and for what you pay, they are pretty good!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Quote fail! lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ah f*ck it it can stay like that!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ok,

So i have found a reasonably priced sub - http://homeavdirect.co.uk/vibe-slick-s15-15-subwoofer

But what exactly am i looking at here?
I'm looking for a punchy bass, as apposed to the WAARrrrrRRRRblLLeE bass..

Any info on specs which are should be looking at?

EDIT: and as for an amp to power the sub, what specifications am i looking for - something to match the peak output?

another edit: I've found http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vib-sli ... ass-1.html to amp the sub?
suitable?
Thanks given by:
I'd say go for a 12 inch if you want the punch
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:I'd say go for a 12 inch if you want the punch

Wouldn't the bulk of the punch come from the 'enclosure' rather than the sub itself?
Thanks given by:
Agreed, 10" is pointless if you run decent components amped, can barely make much more bass noticeably. 12" will give added depth and punch in a sealed box, 15" is just overkill for a day to day system.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
12" would look quite small, no?
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:12" would look quite small, no?

lmao
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:12" would look quite small, no?

lmao

what can i say.. . 8-)

But no, this is my IOW competition at the moment
[Image: 250126_10150269747451085_633066084_89973...7492_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
12" will be what you want ideally Ginge Smile
The RMS is the figure the sub will output not the peak..

My Hi-Fonics 400w RMS sub is being powered by a Sony 500w RMS amp... As I know I will never play it loud enough to blow it up
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:Agreed, 10" is pointless if you run decent components amped, can barely make much more bass noticeably. 12" will give added depth and punch in a sealed box, 15" is just overkill for a day to day system.

Depends what your after. If your running amped speakers up front with a sub in the back you want the bass on the speaker amp turned down considerably. Otherwise what's the point I having the sub. I've got a 12" (giggedy) and to be fair im not using it to its full potential. A 10" would suffice, but the build looks good with a 12".

The speakers upfront are running little bass at all, all I get all the low range from the rear. Until my 3 way components go in that is ninja

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
cwspellowe Wrote:Agreed, 10" is pointless if you run decent components amped, can barely make much more bass noticeably. 12" will give added depth and punch in a sealed box, 15" is just overkill for a day to day system.

Depends what your after. If your running amped speakers up front with a sub in the back you want the bass on the speaker amp turned down considerably. Otherwise what's the point I having the sub. I've got a 12" (giggedy) and to be fair im not using it to its full potential. A 10" would suffice, but the build looks good with a 12".

The speakers upfront are running little bass at all, all I get all the low range from the rear. Until my 3 way components go in that is ninja
We all know 4way is best
Thanks given by:
I have a 12" ported sub box going for free Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:I have a 12" ported sub box going for free Wink

my back seats are where the box will be built Wink

Also, just measured 12 against 15, and the 15 size would fit sweeeeet in the back, i'd like something a bit bigger than your's grant
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:i'd like something a bit bigger than your's grant

Thats what she said Sad

Thats cool mate, just make sure you have enough depth to clear the sub, mine is about 12mm off the floor lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:i'd like something a bit bigger than your's grant

Thats what she said Sad

Thats cool mate, just make sure you have enough depth to clear the sub, mine is about 12mm off the floor lol

thats where your carpentary skills come in handy!

I have a plan.. Basically, imagine picturing the car side on: The yellow is a second idea... and maybe build a "new" bench to allow passengers also?

[Image: M2dbY.png]

So very similar to yours but a raised section
Whatcha reckon?
Thanks given by:
Cut a hole in the boot and put it in the hole where spare wheel used to be...
Thanks given by:
The raised section is a good idea, but I would strongly reccomend against/not want anything to do with building the bench lol.

Gets complicated with legality then, obviously.

But the raised bit is a good idea, you will probably need a fair bit of fiberglass and some old duvet sheets or table cloth if you are going to do this...

This, combined with this should see you through for the moulding of the shape for the sub. Are you going to have amps on show? I also have a power cap here thats yours for a pint should you want it?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Cut a hole in the boot and put it in the hole where spare wheel used to be...

my spare wheel is under the car, there is no space there :|
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Cut a hole in the boot and put it in the hole where spare wheel used to be...

my spare wheel is under the car, there is no space there :|

Take it out Wink
Take a trip to the scrappy with a angle grinder and get the holder out of a Clio where they accsess it from inside the car. Use that as the box Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Components/volume/audio things Tom 5 1,583 16-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Tom
  audio stalk and new head unit aaron_one 6 1,836 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Last Post: aaron_one
  Using OEM audio remote nauest 4 1,790 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: ben87