Quick shift problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick shift problems
Right guys the blaze has a quick shift problem. It's intermittently shifting between the short shift position and the long throw position whenever it likes.
The car came with the short shifter so I I know nothing about it.
I pulled the centre trim and gear stick assembly out to see if it was this end that had been modded. It looks like the standard setup.
I stripped it down to check the condition of the ball socket and it's smashed to bits.
Realistically I can't see this being the issue as the ball is self contained in the socket.
Looking at the front end the is a set of adjustable linkages to the gear box end I assume are not standard equipment?
Any help massively appreciated.
Russ
Thanks given by:
You probably have GE quick shit right?
Is it sercured tightly?
Thanks given by:
I have no clue tbh it was already fitted on the car when I bought it.
Thanks given by:
See it you have this on gearbox and check it its moving by hand.

http://www.griffiths-engineering.co.uk/ 306 one ofcourse....
Thanks given by:
The adjustable linkages sound to be like the Baker ones, and will not adjust your throw as you are describing. Do you have pictures of them?

Does that white plastic ball move up and down the shaft when you try? Sound more like that's the problem IMO.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
The ball is solid on the shaft grant hence me thinking that it's not this end causing the problem.
I'll have a look in the morning when the lights are back on for a quick shift mount and s check if it's loose.
Thanks given by:
So I've whipped out the battery and tray and as pointed out above (much appreciation for the pointers chaps) the grub screw in the clamp on the box was loose allowing it to swing round.
Just wondering Does the clamp need to be fixed at any set angle at all or is it just a trial and error thing?
Thanks given by:
I'd take it off, they are well known for that as it's a cheap design and with a plain mating surface against another what else can you expect, plus being allow with a tint grub screw you cannot get much clamping force before it strips.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna take it off and drill 2 more grub screw into it and loctite them all down when it goes back together.
I really don't want to put it back together with the nylon ball in the state it's in. Does anyone know if these can be replaced or is it a scrappy job for another stick with a ball in better condition?
Thanks given by:
They are known for falling apart, you can still buy them new
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
Thanks given by:
Where from miles, pug?
Can the ball be replaced it do need a complete new assembly?
Thanks given by:
244986 I think the number is from Pug
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 08:30 PM)miles Wrote: 244986 I think the number is from Pug
Thanks miles. Which specific part is this for exactly?
Thanks given by:
Been into Peugeot today. The complete assembly is only £46 unfortunately though it has to come from France so will take a week but at least I've got the peace of mind it will go back together in full working order.[WHITE SMILING FACE]
Thanks given by:
Problems problems...... After a lot of faffing about Peugeot have came back to me and confirmed they can't actually get the gearstick assembly for me, the one they were showing in stock is the 5 speed assembly.
I've managed to find one on fleabay in good condition so hopefully I can get sorted this week.

Stripping it all has got me thinking as well about my shitty looking leatherless gear knob.
Does anyone know of any later model leather ones that fit and are lift reverse friendly?
I'd like to get that sorted when it's going back together.
Thanks given by:
Think the gearknob part number 2403K0
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by: