Avo's which have been in storage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avo's which have been in storage
I bought some AVO GTZ's about 18months ago, used them for a month, and then stuck them in the garage. Bit of a waste of money I know but I kept them because I plan on getting another 306 in 2015.

Anyway, I moved them into the loft today and noticed that one of them does not move very freely. It pushes in reasonably easily but is almost impossible to pull back out again. The other one pushes in easily and then pulls out similarly easily.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I could do to free it up? Don't want to have to send almost brand new coilies off for a refurb before I can use them next year!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That could be damper settings.
(one maybe soft and the other stiff!!!)
Check the settings on them and report back ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reply. I thought that at the time but didn't have the adjuster to hand, they should both be in the middle though where I left them. I'll use a spanner tomorrow to check though.

If it was down to the damper settings though would it not make it harder both ways? Its just hard to pull piston out..
Thanks given by:
It should be the same both ways yes. Sounds like they'll need internal work imo.
Thanks given by:
Depends on the adjustments. If theres only one adjustment then yes should be same both ways.

Seems odd to have gone bad by just being in storage though!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah it is very odd! I think I might put a spring on it and then use a press to move it up and down, hopefully free it up a bit.
Thanks given by:
I would say the one that moves easier is the buggered one, just send them back for a service, AVO's never last long.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 07:48 PM)welshpug Wrote: I would say the one that moves easier is the buggered one, just send them back for a service, AVO's never last long.

The one that moves easier feels pretty good though. The other one is OK to push in but VERY hard to pull back out.

Really want to try and avoid sending them back if possible, they've only had a few hundred miles use!
Thanks given by:
being hard to pull out is normal, means they have a fair amount of rebound damping.

I've seen AVO's leak in under 200 miles.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, I assumed it should take the same pressure to move it each way.

That's not good to hear! I thought Avo were a reasonable quality brand.
Thanks given by:
They are like the cheap'o' Gaz's, You can push them down with ease
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
They're not very high pressure and have small shafts, so they will be relatively easy to push in, even with similar compression valving to such as a bilstien, etc. I'm not sure on the GTZ's what the adjuster is, but it could well be rebound bleed only, in which case if one is wound in it would be very hard to pull out, as it's the low speed movements it affects.

If the adjusters are set the same, I would suggest you've lost some oil and now have a partial vacuum in the gas chamber.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
storing shockers horizontally (on their sides) can cause air bubbles to cause problems)
leave them standing upright overnight, then try moving them up/down for a few minutes to see if they stiffen up. if it gets better then it was just a case of bleeding/priming them (see above) and you can pat yourself on the head.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for those replies guys, I have another look at them over the next few days, hopefully get it sussed and report back.
Thanks given by:
It did just turn out to be the damping settings, was me being stupid! I just assumed they'd be where I left them but someone must have had a fiddle. Good to know that the adjustment works though!
Thanks for all replies!
Thanks given by: