rounded off glow plug

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rounded off glow plug
So come to glow plugs on zx and the one behind the pump has rounded off looks like it's not bee changed in a very long time!

Any tips on getting it out?

Only way I can think of is taking pump off smashing a smaller socket over it and praying it don't snap.......

Need to get it fixed asap tho with out a car now Angry

Thanks given by:
Irwin nutgrip.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
If you need the car just change 3 and drash on. It will still start
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 01:18 PM)Frosty Wrote: If you need the car just change 3 and drash on. It will still start

I was worried it wouldn't start but I've done this starts ok, see what it's like in morning tho on first start.

Still need to get it out tho, only way I can see at min is pump off to gain better access maybe try them irwin socket things but got a feeling it might snap with how tight it is, then how would I get it out then? Guessing it's head off job? Drilled out?

Thanks given by:
You got a Bosch on Chris? If so just take top of the pump off, that's what I did when I had the same problem Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 02:02 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: You got a Bosch on Chris? If so just take top of the pump off, that's what I did when I had the same problem Smile

Yer got bosch on, was yours rounded off to?

Funnily enough pump needs gov modding so would be excuse to take it off.

Thanks given by:
Could try pouring coke or diesel on it over night, should unsieze the rusty threads.
Thanks given by:
If it still functions I might be tempted to wire it direct to the battery, heat the bugger up then shock cool it (freezer spray or other).
Someone will pipe in with a reason why that's a bad idea in 3,2,1 but hey ho, it works.
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 04:53 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(02-12-2014, 02:02 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: You got a Bosch on Chris? If so just take top of the pump off, that's what I did when I had the same problem Smile

Yes mate, a previous owner had done it, lot easier with top of pump off just make sure you cover it up to stop shit falling inside Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 06:00 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(02-12-2014, 04:53 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:

Yes mate, a previous owner had done it, lot easier with top of pump off just make sure you cover it up to stop shit falling inside Smile

How did you remove your old plug if it was rounded off?

Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 07:13 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(02-12-2014, 06:00 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(02-12-2014, 04:53 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Yer got bosch on, was yours rounded off to?

How did you remove your old plug if it was rounded off?

it was chewed up mate but not totally, soaked it overnight in wd40 and got a socket on it, worked it back and forwards and she came out . .Smile
Thanks given by:
Would of thought it'll go on 3. But seems like you got it all figured out tbh Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I also find plus gas is good in situations like this.
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 08:05 PM)vincent1 Wrote: I also find plus gas is good in situations like this.

Covered it in plus gas several times didn't help :-(

I knocked a 11mm spanner over it but it just rounded off more Undecided see how it goes in morning if it starts ok and keeps starting ok I'll probably leave it tbh as i don't wanna risk snapping it.

Thanks given by:
You want to be using a single hex socket on it and use a T bar on it with 2 hands on it.
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 10:59 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: You want to be using a single hex socket on it and use a T bar on it with 2 hands on it.

There's nothing left of the top of it very much doubt a socket will grip it now unless I smash a smaller one over it

Anyway started first turn of key this morning better than its ever started and it's on 100% veg at that and was very cold last night to so I'll probably end up leaving it unless it causes an issue in the future.

Thanks given by:
Cant you weld onto it?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Get a fiesta wheel nut or something and sit that over it and fill it with weld?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Might try that but worried about it snapping if I put to much pressure on it.

Thanks given by:
Fit NGK plugs in future. They're so crap, they fail every other month so never get chance to rust in.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2014, 09:27 PM)Alex Wrote: Fit NGK plugs in future. They're so crap, they fail every other month so never get chance to rust in.

Funny that as that's what I've put in, and that's what come out that had died, had been in 25,000 mile tho not sure if that's a long time or not tho?  

Thanks given by:
That is a long time for an NGK.

I'm sick of having to change them, got it down to 20 minutes for the set now.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2014, 11:15 PM)Alex Wrote: That is a long time for an NGK.

I'm sick of having to change them, got it down to 20 minutes for the set now.

Ha ha if mine die again I'll go bosch only went for these as they were cheap and needed them straight away. Hopefully they get me though winter.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glow plug relay - help please Pugmarshall 5 2,321 13-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Last Post: weka
  Glow plug Amps Daniel306 18 5,085 17-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  Glow plug light issue Gaz85 1 1,202 30-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Gaz85