Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for computer boffs External HD's
(01-12-2014, 11:22 PM)Ruan Wrote: SSDs do deteriorate rapidly - it's the reason they are now 120GB rather than 128GB and 240GB rather than 256GB... They're leaving that room available for bad sectors. Reason they've become usable in MLC format is because of their disk controller that monitors bad sectors and removes them from use.

They are not as reliable for long term storage as HDDs, especially when heavily used, you can throw them off a cliff and will still work, but write to it lots, it'll eventually die. It's the major disadvantage of MLC (Multi Layer Cell) technology. SLC is much better in terms of longevity, but offers less storage space and a significantly higher cost.

I wouldn't trust them with data that was genuinely important, I've seen enough fail (in a production environment...) to know they're not there quite yet!

So Ruan... would you say that fooby was wrong? and that they still do deteriorate? Wink

Glad that someone agrees with me. In my eyes the whole point of them is faster read and write times so having a faster OS and having to replace the disk every few years isnt the end of the world. Windows should be re-installed anyway to keep it fresh so essentially it just forces me to do that.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question for computer boffs External HD's - by Eeyore - 01-12-2014, 11:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,905 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,636 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  gopro external mics Stef205 2 858 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3