Aftermarket exhaust, no difference in sound?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aftermarket exhaust, no difference in sound?
Hi there, iv used these forums for reference for some time now and learned a great deal so thanks everyone for that, however only just felt the need to register as I cannot for the life of me find the answer to my problem anywhere online.

Ok, so I chopped the end section of exhaust off today to fit a big silly big bore that I'm told was designed for a 306, seems right as it connected/hung ok, with a bit of bumper modification! However, the end result is literally no sound difference whatsoever. Having an educated guess, is it something to do with the lower pressure of the exhaust gas in the 1.9DTurbo, not being enough to resonate around the back box and produce the sound? Also, if this is correct, what could be done to produce the noise I'm after, if anything?

Thanks in advance,
Cam

97' 306 1.9DTurbo
Thanks given by:
You need to sack off as many boxes as you can tbh, diesel exhaust isn't that loud really.

Straight pipe, from turbo back - with 1x least restrictive box you can find would be a good start
Thanks given by:
Not that loud...achem achem....

I can hear my car 1/2mile away when the mrs takes it to the shops!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get rid of the cat, decat pipe is about £15 from ECP, also sack off the centre box too if you want it even more fruity Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah, cat and centre box will shut it right up along with even a big backbox.

Is the box designed for a petrol? It'll have a lot of sound deadening in it even if it's "big bore" because petrols are vastly louder than their diesel counterparts!

Drop the backbox off and start it, is it loud then? If so then the box is removing a lot of the noise, might need a different box, but you can also try removing other boxes.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input guys.
I recall there is a centre box on the exhaust, is this purely for sound-deadening purposes? And the decat pipe is on my to-do list as well, cheers for the tip.
Ruan, the box was originally for a petrol I believe yes, although it makes no odds to the noise whether the box is on or not, I suspect then the issue is further up the pipe, ie middle box and cat.
Thanks given by:
The whole "backpressure" thing doesn't apply as a general rule to turbocharged engines, so get the grinder out.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Take every single box out including back box. Just a full straight line is what your after. You'll hear your turbo whine alot better also Big Grin
Thanks given by: