Importance of Tyre width?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importance of Tyre width?
How important is the width? I can buy snow tyres that are 165 65 r14s on steels these are narrower than the 185s i have at the moment on my alloys. What would this effect?
Thanks given by:
The amount of grip available!

That's a fair bit narrower, you're likely to have a few brown trouser moments if you're used to the grip 185s give in the dry and drive it hard - they'll be fine in the snow... Long as you're aware you will have less grip available, you'll be fine Smile

It'll affect the speedo a very small amount - but not enough to be worried about.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Seems a bit pointless to choose winter tyres with a smaller contact patch surely? Confused
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 05:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Seems a bit pointless to choose winter tyres with a smaller contact patch surely? Confused

Depends. If he's planning on using them in the snow, skinny tyres are a winner tbh because you end up cutting through the snow rather than riding on top of it. My old 106 went everywhere in the snow (sideways) whilst all these big "4x4s" were getting stuck!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
That's a good point tbf.

Though I assume he's going to use them for more than 2 days of the year, and I'd rather have the cold, wet grip for the majority of the time over increased snow holding for 2 days. Obviously if he lives on the top of a Scottish mountain that's different lol.
Thanks given by:
If you were using them as pure snow/ice tyres then smaller may be acceptable but if they are winter tyres on your winter wheels then I'd stick with a stock size. Remember the tyres are the only thing that connect you with the road and being narrower will affect your grip.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 05:40 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Remember the tyres are the only thing that connect you with the road.

Oh really? You try and have that argument with Sean Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: