Valve guide seals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve guide seals
Right finished rebuilding my head but stupidly forgot to ask this!
When I removed the old valve guide seals, they were quite well in the head. When I fitted the new ones, they didn't "clip" in or anything so all that's keeping them in place is the valve guide and obviously the spring that sits on the collar on the seal. Is this right? Would the old ones of been stuck into the head because they had had the springs holding them in place for the last 12 years or were they supposed to be like that?
The new ones I'm using arnt original Peugeot but they are exactly the same. I'm guessing that it doesn't matter if oil gets under them (old ones had oil under and the car ran cleanly) as all that is sealing really is the rubber round the top of the guide?

Just don't want to put it all back together to find it burns oil still!
Thanks.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
from what i can figure after doing some reading, and what i've been told at uni, there's no retaining on the seals as such, they just sort of hold themselves there. i think the old ones being stuck in are just due to old age and degradation and such. as long as you made sure to coat the new ones with oil when you put them back in and pushed them down firmly, they should all be good.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI6 Valve stem oil Seals PUGNUT_XS 6 2,058 18-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Last Post: PUGNUT_XS
Heart Valve stem seals?!? Matt 19 3,320 25-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Matt