1994 306 XND clutch issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1994 306 XND clutch issue
HELP
Have read most posts about clutch cables , but I am getting no where !
Car was driving ,clutch Not slipping pedal a little on high side . Garage advised my son to have new cable fitted quoted £125 extreme price .
So dad to the rescue
I drove car from Norwich to London , clutch OK pedal a little high .
Purchased new cable fitted it , a little awkward but fitted .
Problem is
Clutch is now not working , symptom is pedal is still high, but when pressed won't go into gear
Even stranger
Not pressing clutch engine running you can select gears no crashing, but NO DRIVE.
any thoughts
Thanks given by:
The clutch is permanently disengaged. Never changed a clutch cable on a 306 so not sure if there is any adjustment. Sounds like the cable needs slackening off.
Thanks given by:
I thought it was a faulty cable but have changed it again still the same , obviously I fitted cable and then removed the plastic protection from around the adjuster, baffled!
Thanks given by:
Is the cable identical to the one removed? Same length etc?

I really don't see how you can fit the cable in such a way to permanently disengage the clutch.
Thanks given by:
When I fitted my new cable I managed to fit it the opposite of how you have so the pedal was always on the floor, I hadn't got the auto adjuster setup correctly.

Think it's maybe something similar ?
Thanks given by:
Its an AUTO adjuster. You dont need to set it up!?

Try just stamping on the pedal and few times then slip ya foot of the clutch and let it pop up
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
When I fitted my new cable I managed to fit it the opposite of how you have so the pedal was always on the floor, I hadn't got the auto adjuster setup correctly.

Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 10:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: Try just stamping on the pedal and few times then slip ya foot of the clutch and let it pop up

I'm not sure where this idea came from, all it does is damage the pedal stop at the top so its sits higher than it should. Confused Just driving on it or a couple of hard stamps without the destructive slip off should have the same effect.

(05-11-2014, 07:24 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: When I fitted my new cable I managed to fit it the opposite of how you have so the pedal was always on the floor, I hadn't got the auto adjuster setup correctly.

Did you open the adjuster mech before fitting the box end? But thats doable imo, it doesn't take any effort to keep the pedal on the floor. But with the OP's problem, it takes a lot of effort to push the clutch arm by hand. I just don't see how anyone could fit the cable with enough effort to disengage the clutch permanently. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah that is true tom, you dont wana do the lift off more than once! It can bend that stop!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 09:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(04-11-2014, 10:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: Try just stamping on the pedal and few times then slip ya foot of the clutch and let it pop up

I'm not sure where this idea came from, all it does is damage the pedal stop at the top so its sits higher than it should. Confused Just driving on it or a couple of hard stamps without the destructive slip off should have the same effect.

(05-11-2014, 07:24 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: When I fitted my new cable I managed to fit it the opposite of how you have so the pedal was always on the floor, I hadn't got the auto adjuster setup correctly.

Did you open the adjuster mech before fitting the box end? But thats doable imo, it doesn't take any effort to keep the pedal on the floor. But with the OP's problem, it takes a lot of effort to push the clutch arm by hand. I just don't see how anyone could fit the cable with enough effort to disengage the clutch permanently. Confused

No I didn't open it iirc I fitted it without bringing the pedal up first and had it against the bulkhead when I hooked it to the pedal
Thanks given by: