Noise on acceleration after 3500rpm. Video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noise on acceleration after 3500rpm. Video
Well i bought a hdi the other day and when on full acceleration it makes a rough noise from 3500k and up. Have a listen to this video
Any help appreciated.

http://youtu.be/rpoGcLzFTWw

Ya can here it twice in the video

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
Sounds f*cked lol.

Does it do it stationary or only on the move?

I assume none of the wheels are rubbing liners for a start?

No belts rubbing (particularly cambelt!)?

Turbo compressor scraping the housing?
Thanks given by:
Know yeah.
Doesnt do it sttationery. Mostly does it in 1st and second. Duno bout belbut if it was would it not do it in all gears?

Thanks given by:
If it doesn't do it stationary its probably not engine related tbh.

Is it stupidly low? (probably a daft question given your location lol). Does sound like a tyre rubbing tbh. Can you locate the area of the noise?
Thanks given by:
No car is standard height and wont be stupidly low jus goin 40mm. Its the N.I lads that slam them.

Yeah i think the noise is comin from just in front of the drivin position but cant be sure.

Its strange the way it does it in 1st,2nd and sometimes slightly in third but not in fourth.

And is only on full acceleration above 3500k.

Performance wise th car is spot on and goes well right up to 5000 revs.

Thanks given by:
The engine moves back under hard acceleration and sounds like something is rubbing somewhere when it happens then.

I'd check the engine mounts for play, and check the top engine mount cup isn't broken. Assuming they're all alright, check the exhaust isn't rubbing anywhere, then just generally check everything around the engine/bulkhead for signs of rubbing. Its a bit of a pain that you cant just get out an check with a fault like that lol.

As for not slamming them, your sig shows otherwise. Tongue

Edit - Btw, it hasn't got an undertray hanging off has it? Don't overlook the obvious. lol
Thanks given by:
I'd be thinking same as tom, engine mounts sloppy and thus something rubbing when hard on the power
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah ill havto have a good check 2moro.

Under acceleration what way does the bottom engine mount move. Towards bulkhead or front. Cant think.

Thanks given by:
Maybe check the (p bushings) on the wish bone if it is the wheels rubbing lol its a long shot Dow :-) any way hope u get it sorted soon
Thanks given by:
Nout wrong with the felt spec and Argi lads haha
Thanks given by:
Bottom engine mount moves towards the front. Do you have a lower strut brace? Mine rubbed under acceleration because the lower mount was knackered, made a similar noise.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sound just wanted to know so i can wedge it from rocking and see if it stops it.
Cheers i hope that is it. Has to be because the car performs well and sound good normally.

Thanks given by:
Wedged the bottom engin mount from movin with a bit of a mudflap and no difference. Cant see anythin that wud be rubbin.

I have no idea what it is.

Car doesnt hesitate when noise is there so cant be engine internal anyway.

Any other ideas?

Havta take off the top engine mount now an see is the cradle broke.

Thanks given by:
Cant see a 'bit of mudflap' wedging an engine mount at full chat!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
sounds weird but have a look at the o/s inner chassis leg for marks
Thanks given by:
Interesting fix lol.

Really you just need to keep looking for signs or rubbing. Or try to rock the engine from the top and see how much movement there is, I would expect it to be one of the top mounts anyway tbh.

Someone mentioned P bushes as well, did you check they were alright in case it's a wheel rubbing instead?
Thanks given by:
Yeah ill just need to check everything i suppose.

Cheers.
Ill let yee know if i find the source Smile

And the engine was way stiffer to rock with it wedged and engine movement wasnt as noticable on lift off

Thanks given by:
I'm going to say it's the top engine mount it's probably snapped and would need welding. But as temporary you can wedge up the chock on top.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Exhaust touching subframe or body for almost certain...

Probably as said caused by shafted lower engine or gearbox mount.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Swapped the downpipe already from another hdi and still doin it so not exhaust i dont think.

Ill do the engine and gearbox mounts and anyway and see....

Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 01:27 PM)daveylennon93 Wrote: Swapped the downpipe already from another hdi and still doin it so not exhaust i dont think.

Ill do the engine and gearbox mounts and anyway and see....

Yeah swapping the exhaust won't help as its the engine moving causing the exhaust to make contact with the subframe.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Lol facedesk!

Trust me, that's exhaust - caused by the mounts being wank!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.0 hdi 90 blueish smoke under acceleration jayspug86 5 1,066 12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Acceleration Wolverine1091 26 5,108 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Mr Whippy
  Rattle under acceleration upto 3k Jukie88 37 8,485 28-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Last Post: gareth7