Intercooler sprayer, the new MCM video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intercooler sprayer, the new MCM video

Has anyone had a go at this kind of mod?

Thinking about it, most who dewiper the rear still have a 2 port washer motor in the bottle and it would be as simple are redirecting the hose which goes to the rear to a jet system over the cooler
And in doing that the rear window sprayer switch on the stalk is obviously still there
Thanks given by:
Thought a couple on here had tried this?

Can't think off the top of my head who ...
Thanks given by:
I did it as the op said, thought why not! This was like 5 years ago on my ph1 so cant remember what it was like
Thanks given by:
£2.59 for a nozzle on ebay, some pipe and then run it off the rear wiper supply would probably be best, i tried it with a pair of mist jest but there wasnt enough pressure for them, they did spray but not very well and then would just dribble after. with a single 180 degree nozzle i think it could work pretty well.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's a waste of time if your intercooler gets so f*cking hot that pissing some water on it will make any difference then you've got bigger problems to think about.

Subaru stuck them on some Impreza's as abit of a gimmick, but it's nothing that would ever be useful on a road car.
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 05:18 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: It's a waste of time if your intercooler gets so f*cking hot that pissing some water on it will make any difference then you've got bigger problems to think about.

Subaru stuck them on some Impreza's as abit of a gimmick, but it's nothing that would ever be useful on a road car.

no you're right... none of hte laws of thermo dynamics apply to intercoolers.. like the fact that with water on it evaporating that intercooler will never reach more than 100degrees C..

or the fact that our bodies use sweat evaporating to keep us cool on hot days.... or how we feel colder when we get out of the shower.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
It'd be much more effective spraying the water right down the intake instead of chucking it all over the intercooler.

Aren't these the same bunch of wankers that said painting the intercooler black was a wicked idea??
Sorry but anything they say I'm taking with a pinch of salt.
Thanks given by:
Er.... but black does make a difference? It obviously does... its GCSE physics.

Im not sure how much difference the water sprayed actually makes but its still a fun mod! As others have said just put it on the rear sprayer and its proper stealth. unfortunately I dont have an FMIC and also my boot popper the setting before the sprayer so... id have to pop the boot and then spray! D:
Thanks given by:
In that video about spraying the intercooler black he talks about convection so much as he then goes on tell us about heat transfer. It's actually conductive heat transfer that transfers the heat.

Convection is hot air rising and cold air sinks. Electrical convection heater heats air, that hot air rises and spreads across the ceiling and as it cools sinks down the walls to pass back along the floor to the heater. There is very little convection under a bonnet the draught is forced.

A layer of paint is an insulator. Just like a second pane of glass in double glazing.
Hot air > aluminium oxide > aluminium > aluminium oxide > cooling air.
Hot air > aluminium oxide > aluminium > aluminium oxide > paint > cooling air.

Aluminium 210 W/(m.K)
Aluminium oxide 30 W/(m.K)
Paint (black or white) 0.17 W/(m.K)
Paint (high metal silver etc) 0.19 W/(m.K)

So 0.05mm of black paint is like an extra crusty 8.8mm thick layer of bare aluminium oxide. If you saw that on an IC you would be be reaching for the wet and dry. Even anodising an IC is bad news as that thickens the natural oxide layer which is an insulator compared to the aluminium sheet.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Specia...y.-a0228354685

Surface finish is also critical to the thermal transfer of heat from induction air to the alloy and to the cooling air. A nice smooth shiny finish is poor, needs a bit of texture, that's the function of the fins between the plates.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Thanks given by:
its not the same as double glazing... double glazing traps a layer of air which stops heat transfer via conduction.
Thanks given by:
Paint is still a decent insulator and not something you wanna slap willie nillie all over your intercooler.
Thanks given by:
I did something simular

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-817-page-3.html
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
The black thing wasa bit silly.

But intercool sprays do work...only more than likely only for stand still heat soak moments.

I would have thought air movement would most likely overcome any water spray passed a certain speed.

As said too, spray it down the neck of the intake, that'll do the trick!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As soon as you're moving the airflow should just blow the water right off the cooler.
Thanks given by:
Which would still cool it more I suppose

Spray some brake cleaner on it...that would cool it bloody fast!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Some drag guys pack them with dry ice to keep them super cool.

I don't think any of it is needed in a road car tho.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 10:36 AM)SRowell Wrote: its not the same as double glazing... double glazing traps a layer of air which stops heat transfer via conduction.

thats the problem... you're WRONG sam lol

conduction = solids only
Convection = liquids and gases

seeing as air is comprised of gases. it would be a little difficult to conduct the heat through it

and actually most double glazing systems have a partial vacuum in between the layers of glass..

Q: with regards to water, think about a hot day, why does it feel colder if you get out of the pool if its windy..

A: Because the wind manually increases the concentration gradient between the wet bit and the not wet bit so diffusion happens faster (ie water evaporation happens faster)

this in its very essence means evaporative cooling will be MORE effective..

(27-10-2014, 10:31 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: In that video about spraying the intercooler black he talks about convection so much as he then goes on tell us about heat transfer. It's actually conductive heat transfer that transfers the heat.

Convection is hot air rising and cold air sinks. Electrical convection heater heats air, that hot air rises and spreads across the ceiling and as it cools sinks down the walls to pass back along the floor to the heater. There is very little convection under a bonnet the draught is forced.

A layer of paint is an insulator. Just like a second pane of glass in double glazing.
Hot air > aluminium oxide > aluminium > aluminium oxide > cooling air.
Hot air > aluminium oxide > aluminium > aluminium oxide > paint > cooling air.

Aluminium 210 W/(m.K)
Aluminium oxide 30 W/(m.K)
Paint (black or white) 0.17 W/(m.K)
Paint (high metal silver etc) 0.19 W/(m.K)

So 0.05mm of black paint is like an extra crusty 8.8mm thick layer of bare aluminium oxide. If you saw that on an IC you would be be reaching for the wet and dry. Even anodising an IC is bad news as that thickens the natural oxide layer which is an insulator compared to the aluminium sheet.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Specia...y.-a0228354685

Surface finish is also critical to the thermal transfer of heat from induction air to the alloy and to the cooling air. A nice smooth shiny finish is poor, needs a bit of texture, that's the function of the fins between the plates.

its always good to reference your sources

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...ency/page2
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yea I nicked it from Pete's post Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 11:50 AM)toseland Wrote:
(27-10-2014, 10:36 AM)SRowell Wrote: its not the same as double glazing... double glazing traps a layer of air which stops heat transfer via conduction.

conduction = solids only

seeing as air is comprised of gases. it would be a little difficult to conduct the heat through it

and actually most double glazing systems have a partial vacuum in between the layers of glass..

what? so youre agreeing with me? I said that black paint isnt like double glazing. In the case of black paint its another layer but all conductive as its all solid. In double glazing its solid, gas (or not solid at least), solid. because of the non-solid layer conduction doesnt happen. So how am i wrong? I merely was pointing out how the double glazing 'extra layer' example was BS as it has a vacuum/ air in the middle which paint on an intercooler does not!
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 01:29 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(27-10-2014, 11:50 AM)toseland Wrote:

conduction = solids only

what? so youre agreeing with me? I said that black paint isnt like double glazing. In the case of black paint its another layer but all conductive as its all solid. In double glazing its solid, gas (or not solid at least), solid. because of the non-solid layer conduction doesnt happen. So how am i wrong? I merely was pointing out how the double glazing 'extra layer' example was BS as it has a vacuum/ air in the middle which paint on an intercooler does not!

i am disagreeing with the fact that you said gas conducts heat... gas doesnt conduct heat.. the conduction of heat stops at the glass/gas boundry
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I'm f*cking lost as well.

I think they're both not very useful on a road car and sticking a better FMIC is will give better results than painting your IC black or spraying it down with water.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 01:34 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: I'm f*cking lost as well.

I think they're both not very useful on a road car and sticking a better FMIC is will give better results than painting your IC black or spraying it down with water.

Agreed! Its no replacement for having a bigger or better FMIC setup!

@Toseland... I still dont see your problem. Fairly sure I have constructed my sentence correctly.

Quote:double glazing traps a layer of air which stops heat transfer via conduction.

Obviously gases dont conduct heat... I dont understand how what i have said is wrong. If you have the two external faces of a sheet of double glazing then there is no conduction between them because of the layer of gas/vacuum inside. How am I wrong?
Thanks given by:
Simple way to explain this..

Blow on the back of your hand.. does it feel cooler? great.

Now lick the back of your hand and then blow on that.. which one was cooler?

Oh it was the 2nd one? shock!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 03:08 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Simple way to explain this..

Blow on the back of your hand.. does it feel cooler? great.

Now lick the back of your hand and then blow on that.. which one was cooler?

Oh it was the 2nd one? shock!

This.

I dont think it would make enough of a difference to really notice its effect, but maybe in some situations, like lets say youre getting on the move from being stuck in traffic
Thanks given by:
It has the effect of making it cooler, also the faster you go the more cooling effect its gonna have..
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Only way to prove it...

I'll fit a temp gauge post cooler and fit a squirter and go for a blast!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
they did, he mentioned a 15deg reduction in intake temps right at the end
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Then why the f*ck are we even having this discussion?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

It does actually makes a difference in their test, would have been nice if they would have shown some dyno runs to see if the power changed at all though
Thanks given by: