claiming on my own insurance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
claiming on my own insurance
so today was a bad day..... I had a crash, it was on back roads so in essence it was a 'Knock for Knock' situation. i now need to notify my insurance and the car will be classed as a write off due to the back quarter being dented and scraped. Now, do i lose my no claims bonus when i claim off my own insurance? may be a bit of a noobish question, but this is the first time this has happened to me? cheers in advance.
Thanks given by:
Yes unless you have protected ncb
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
righto, cheers
Thanks given by:
You will only ever lose a maximum of 4 years NCB (i.e. if you have 8, you will still have 4 after the claim).
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 03:14 PM)Norledge Wrote: You will only ever lose a maximum of 4 years NCB (i.e. if you have 8, you will still have 4 after the claim).

Really? Didn't know that Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
i only had 1yrs no claims anyway
Thanks given by:
Do you know who you hit Will? How much damage was on there car / did they have an expensive car?

If possible would be good to sort outside of insurance / not make a claim as at your age they will ra*e you from now on... But obviously if its some random in a bmw, thats not going to be an option..

Whats the plan with the car?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 03:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Do you know who you hit Will? How much damage was on there car / did they have an expensive car?

If possible would be good to sort outside of insurance / not make a claim as at your age they will ra*e you from now on... But obviously if its some random in a bmw, thats not going to be an option..

Whats the plan with the car?

it was a man driving a delivery van. his steering rack is completely buggered. being a company vehicle he sort of has to notify his insurance.
so the only choice is to get in contact with my insurance to sort it out. my car is still driveable, but due to the rear quarter being dented and scuffed its an automatic right off. i've yet to ring my insursance and then see wasson with the car,
Thanks given by:
If its driveable do you have to have the car assessed?

Even if it is written off, I wouldn't claim on your insurance, with the excess and premium increase it'll probably be cheaper to fix it/buy another out of your own pocket.
Thanks given by:
the damage

[attachment=19748]
[attachment=19749]
Thanks given by:
see if you can repair that your self, get the a second hand wing and glass, and fit those, you could be looking at about 300 plus to fix the car sadly, but that way it keeps the car in your hands.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 04:03 PM)procta Wrote: see if you can repair that your self, get the a second hand wing and glass, and fit those, you could be looking at about 300 plus to fix the car sadly, but that way it keeps the car in your hands.

all i would do is get a new wing, door and glass, wouldnt really be to fussed about the rear quarter, but its the insurance that i need to sort, as im unsure on what happens after he informs his insurance, if he passes over my details or not?
Thanks given by:
You are technically supposed to notfiy your insurers of any accident, regardless of whether or not you make a claim.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
So.... it depends whose fault it was.... If the driver of the van is just claiming it as knock for knock then I dont see why you would have to claim on your insurance if you dont need to. Depends if you caused the accident and youre insurance is going to have to pay for him. Personally I would avoid any claim whatsoever at our age as itll go through the roof!
Thanks given by:
Well that's a little worse than I was expecting! Confused lol

That's definitely a write off if it gets assessed.
Thanks given by:
i'm just gonna report the accident and leave it that, if the other driver decides to be knob and claim, ive got photos to prove that he should be at fault. but for the ease of it i'm just gonna leave it as knock for knock
Thanks given by:
why?

without wanting to sound like a twat here., if he is at fault, he is at fault and you are A. without a vehicle, and B. looking at a hefty rise in premium regardless of claim or not..

what exactly happened?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
When a claim goes 'Knock for Knock' both parties lose their no-claims if the third party claims from the others insurance. If no party claims, no NCB is lost.

You only pay an excess if you claim for your own car, unless you are deemed to be at fault.

As you say it has gone K for K, you will lose the no claims, but not have to pay an excess unless you claim.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Its gonna take to much to prove as it was on back roads with no witnesses. He was driving to fast where the road tightens from a double track to a single I was on the single track while he came from the wide road and sandwich up against me and the hedge. He skidded about 30 yards, proving he was driving too fast. But ive yet to ring my insurance
Thanks given by:
f*ck it mate.. you will lose your NCB either way, might as well go and explain the circumstances and let them decide... worst case scenario is that it goes 50:50 and you end up losing stuff and having an increase anyway.

if you have pictures to prove then you have little to lose.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 09:00 PM)toseland Wrote: f*ck it mate.. you will lose your NCB either way, might as well go and explain the circumstances and let them decide... worst case scenario is that it goes 50:50 and you end up losing stuff and having an increase anyway.

if you have pictures to prove then you have little to lose.

Worst case is he loses his no claims and has to pay his excess.

Best case is he wins and doesn't lose anything.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
exactly..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2014, 08:52 PM)willJspears Wrote: Its gonna take to much to prove as it was on back roads with no witnesses. He was driving to fast where the road tightens from a double track to a single I was on the single track while he came from the wide road and sandwich up against me and the hedge. He skidded about 30 yards, proving he was driving too fast. But ive yet to ring my insurance

tbh fella, I would leave it and sort the car out, as I can see it going to be a right f*ck on with the insurance side of it,
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna notify my insurance of the accident (as I should do really) but not claim on my insurance, fix the car as best I can and drive on
Thanks given by:
Tell them exactly what happened. Be honest. Say you're reporting the accident and be honest if you believe you weren't at fault. They will compare stories. Many company insurances give in quite easily (well my work Insurance does).

Say exactly what happened etc don't try be the nice guy because if it were the other way around you can bet they wouldn't be so nice as to let it be knock for knock. If you believe it wasn't knock for knock just tell them. State that you weren't at fault and don't want to be making a claim on your policy.

Either way you'll have to declare you were in an accident, claim or not, to future insurers which will raise your premium. It sucks but that's car costs for you Sad

Just tell them honestly and state you don't want to claim against your car if it can't be settled as a non fault accident.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Hi,

If there is ANY chance that your insurers will hear you have had an accident (and in this case they definitely will) you must tell them. And that's when the fight starts.

Assume that the other driver will blame you, and claim against you. Get your claim in first. FAST. You want his truck seen by your bloke ASAP, before it get's fixed, or disappears.

Do you know if the other driver had a licence, was insured, was employed "on the books" etc. Was the truck MOT (how do you find out? It's on the web, somewhere.

If you claim, you will lose your NCD. If the other party claim against you, you will lose your NCD.

If you, or a car that you own (but were not driving), is involved in an accident, even if you do not claim (so keep your NCD) your premiums will rise by about 15% for the next 5 years.

If you lose your NCD, you will also lose the 20% (?) introductory discount, so next years premium will be higher than when you first started.

The fight has started! Tell your insurers, they will send an assesor round, who will climb out of his car clutching a tyre tread depth gauge. Not enough tread? NO PAYOUT!

Try Googling HONEST JOHN, or find him in the Saturday Telegraph see if there is any advice on his website. You want you car replaced, you want all your out of pocket expences re-imbursed, you want any future surcharge on you premiums re-imbursed. etc.

Personally, I would not be without Legal Assistance on my insurance. For the sake of £10 odd, I don't want to have to pay my barrister, when the Perp gets his for free.

My SWMBO was side-swiped on the M4 by a curtain sider belonging to a major super market. They insured themselves. They ignored her letters.
She lost her NCD, etc. She told her insurers to claim it back. It took two years to get the super market to court ... but her insurers sent her a big cheque when it was settled. and re-instated her NCD

FIGHT!

Thanks given by:
Wouldnt take it lying down tbh, If some delivery driving bellend was going too fast and wrote off my pride and joy and if i genuinely believed that i wasnt at fault i would be claiming from theyre insurance! After all thats why we all have to have it!

Believe it or not if you are in the right ad tell your insurance company this they will fight your corner for you as they will defend you to make the opposition pay out rather than them have to delve into theyre pocket, if you are found to not be at fault your insurance wont go up AS badly but you will lose your NCB and inccur a slight premium height.

Was he working for a big national company driving a company van or a self employed courier on a contract job? this will make a massive difference in this instance.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 09:10 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Wouldnt take it lying down tbh, If some delivery driving bellend was going too fast and wrote off my pride and joy and if i genuinely believed that i wasnt at fault i would be claiming from theyre insurance! After all thats why we all have to have it!

Believe it or not if you are in the right ad tell your insurance company this they will fight your corner for you as they will defend you to make the opposition pay out rather than them have to delve into theyre pocket, if you are found to not be at fault your insurance wont go up AS badly but you will lose your NCB and inccur a slight premium height.

Was he working for a big national company driving a company van or a self employed courier on a contract job? this will make a massive difference in this instance.

I've already rung my insurance, and they said that due to being on back roads with no witnesses they'll have to put it down as knock for knock
Thanks given by:
that is bullshit to be honest..

i would be reminding that they are appointed to represent you and not any other party, and it isnt in your interest to have THEM decide whether it was 50/50

you have clearly demonstratable photographs showing the extent and placement of damage and vehicles..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 11:58 AM)toseland Wrote: that is bullshit to be honest..

i would be reminding that they are appointed to represent you and not any other party, and it isnt in your interest to have THEM decide whether it was 50/50

you have clearly demonstratable photographs showing the extent and placement of damage and vehicles..

Bit of a shame, I know, but my car is still driveable, know one was injured. Just put it down to experience, the only bad thing is my insurance premium will rise when I come to renew
Thanks given by: