Just arrived.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just arrived.
Hi,

Newbie! John Williams from near Kettering, born shortly before WW2. Driving an R-reg 306 turbo-diesel estate, which is regarded as a "hack" (first love is old Land Rovers). I've joined this forum as I need some technical advice, but I'm willing to offer any help that I can in return.

Oh yes, my user name, w3526602. is my old RAF number, and I sign with my "last three" ... 602, which helps me recognise my own mails Rolleyes- it's an age thing, but you can address me anyway you like.

See you in the technical columns.

Thanks given by:
Welcome!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Welcome along! Get some pics up when you can, look forward to maybe being able to help you out. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You on difflock too mate?

Just checked, Yeah it is you haha.

I seem to be attracting many members from there haha.

Warm welcome to the forum, it's like difflock without GED haha
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
welcome to the forum! Big Grin I dont think Cully is our oldest member now. Not much in it though!
Thanks given by:
Hello And Welcome!, I feel younger already! Smile
Thanks given by:
welcome to the forum,Hello
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Thankyou for the welcome.

Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile

Few of us landrover nuts on here, do you have one currently? Im still regretting selling my 200TDi converted ex-MOD defender 110 Sad
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Few of us landrover nuts on here, do you have one currently? Im still regretting selling my 200TDi converted ex-MOD defender 110 Sad
[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Yes. I have a two owner 1959 109" petrol that has done under 50,000 miles, less than 200 miles since last MOT. Unfortunately, the last MOT was 40 years ago.

I have cobbled it together onto a new chassis. She is insured under normal fully comp insurance, VED exempt, and MOT exempt. I taxed it prior to moving house, drivable, but it wasn't quite ready in time, so she came to Kettering from South Wales on a trailer. Since then, DVLA wrote to say they cannot change the tax class until it is taxed ... Er .... I have the disc. ???

At present, I'm too busy sorting out the new house to play with it. The 306 is causing enough problems, but I can't complain, I treat my cars the same as I treat my women .... constant neglect, but occasionally I abuse them. I joke ... my wife got the "best prezzy ever" for her 70th. Silverstone, three laps in an Aston Martin, three laps in a Ferrari. But first she needed a driving lesson ... how do you change gear? (paddle) ... then straight into the "traffic" and up to 120. The ploy only half worked, she no longer wants an Aston, as she found it cumbersom. When watching the Silverstone Grand Prix, they mentioned the track conditions. "Tell me about it!" she said. This is the girl who passed the Severn toll booth with all four wheels locked (TVR Vixen) had to reverse back to pay. More recently she asdked Plod if he had any form of identification? He had clocked her at 104 on the M4. "Don't let me catch you doing it again!" Ahem .. she was once the DVLA rep at monthly ACPO meetings.

Sorry, I rabbitting on.

Hi,

Photo prior to moving. Bare metal. Very solid underneath, now ready to be restored.

My 306 in background, so On Topic.

Thanks given by:
Ooh a IIA? I learned too drive in a series 3 with a V8 conversion so i have landrovers in the blood lol

Looks like a good base to start from, did you go for a galv chassis? Smile

Also is that a safari roof?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Hi Matt,

Yep, galvanised chassis, best part of £2,000. I also had the bulkhead and radiator panel galvanised, plus lots of other small parts.

The roof panel has a pop-top (but without the bellows at present), the roof side panels are in two pieces, which is a little rare, but not unknown.

It is only minor things that stop it being street legal ... no exterior mirrors (not strictly needed at that age, but scary to drive without them), no screen washer, difficulty finding wiper arms that are short enough ... does anyone have a 2CV and a pape measure? Then of course, there is the shake down/sea trials period yet to come.

Once you have had a Land Rover, you get withdrawal symptoms so buy another, which is comforting, even if you don't drive it. My SWMBO says her buying me a Land Rover brought me back to life after they drilled a hole in my head.

Thanks given by:
Landrovers are for life, not just for christmas, as they say lol

Ah interesting setup with the roof, can certainly say i haven't seen one like that before! Do you ever frequent the landrover shows at billing or anything like that?

Good shout with the galv chassis etc, Certainly keeps the value up and maintenance down Smile

Im currently on the lookout for a cheap old disco 200tdi to chop about (ideally after a 3 door so i can bobtail / trayback it)

Heres my last one:

[Image: DSC01837.jpg]

[Image: DSC01839.jpg]

[Image: DSC01840.jpg]

[Image: DSC01843.jpg]

[Image: DSC01848.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Hi Matt,

Cheap Discos are becoming thin on the ground, probably because their engines fit into Series models very easily, give you 30mpg, and too much power.

If you are prepared to start with somebody else's "off-roader" they come in a bit cheaper. Sills are a major job, but if you are going to hack it about anyway. Vans are 3-door, on steel wheels, so might be less desirable to most people. Do not economise on cam-belts.

Did I read that 1984 vehicles are likely to become exempt from something? VED? MOT? That will swell the prices.

Thanks given by:
Hi,

I have five passwords. This forum ignored them all. So I made several attempts to get a new password ... it took me a long time to work out that it is a TWO step process. It didn't help that my PC decided that I could access websites but not access email.

I am not fit to live in this hi-tech age.

Whatever, having been allocated a temporary password, can somebody tell me how to reset it, in words of one sylable, pretty please.

602 (Techno-wimp. I was one of the first people in UK to have one of those new-fangled ball point pens. My teacher was amazed.)
Thanks given by:
Drop Niall a private message he should be able to sort the password problem for you if your struggling Smile

In other news i picked up a 200tdi H reg discovery the other evening for £200 Big Grin let the welding commence
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: