Late Xud engine with lucas pump woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Xud engine with lucas pump woes
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and my first post is one requesting help!

The car in question isn't a 306 or even a peugeot but this seemed the most helpful forum with my problem.

The engine was removed from a suzuki vitara commercial, think the engine code is dhy? It's an xud engine with no ecu, just the immobilised solenoid and lucas fuel pump. It ran spot on before removal, but now it's in my brothers vitara it won't run, Iv ground off the casing around the solenoid and swapped for old style with just one terminal at the top. I'm not getting any diesel to the injectors, only a trickle. Iv even tried removing spring and plunger from the solenoid. Whilst it was in the original vitara it only required power to the stop solenoid for it to run.

The glowplugs are working and Iv had it hooked up to my other xud engined 4x4 for extra battery power, what I fear may have happened is the pump may have sucked in abit of petrol diesel mix. I know lucas pumps are crap but surely this can't have done any serious damage?

I'm pulling my hair out right now so any help is gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Thanks given by:
How long was the pump not run for? They don't like going dry.

I don't think petrol would harm the pump but others may know better.
Thanks given by:
Was only a couple of days from when I had run it the last time before removing it. Seriously confused with what it's doing.
Thanks given by:
So it was left dry for couple days and then potentially attempted to run on petrol?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Well if it has sucked in abit of petrol it would have been a mix but mainly diesel, I filled the filter housing with diesel to start with. But I left my brother with the job of draining petrol out of the tank and lines but he may not have got 100% of it out. Iv not tried to run it via the filter housing / tank and lines since, Iv only tried it with the inlet hose inside a new jerry can of diesel and still no different.
Thanks given by:
If its been a couple of day, and full of petrol, or even dry, it would still be fine, stop over reacting :p

Pressurise the feed to the pump with the inline hand grenade type diesel pump
Make sure the banjo bolts on the pump are the correct way round (one has tiny hole, says OUT on it)
Typically you should only get a trickle from the ends if there is no injector lines on it?, try putting an injector line on with an injector and see if it pops the injector? Might not even be a fuel issue if you have popping injectors.
Did it smoke when you tried to start?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: D.r.1989
Erm didnt notice any smoke, is it possible its popped the injectors in the process of starting it? It was running fine literally 3 days before. Banjo bolts haven't been Touched, got fuel up to pump and when I take solenoid off you can see plenty fuel there, tried priming and turning it at same time but still the same. I gave it a quick sniff of easy start and it fired but clattered abit, this was literally 4/5 seconds of running.
Thanks given by:
Maybe its not Motor related.
The Petrol version of the Vitara had a Lift Pump in the Tank. Which needs 12V to work.

The XUD9sd Vitara just has a Pickup, no Pump. So, Whats up in the Tank?
Maybe the Lift Pump isn't working and therefore blocking fuel? (Then again, you did say theres diesel at the Stop Solenoid).

Just an Idea.
Thanks given by:
It is a good idea and one I already solved, removed pump and fit straight pipe to bottom of tank so no restrictions to the pump now whatsoever.
Thanks given by:
could you tell me what gear box your using is it a stock suzuki one? just asking as i bought a jimny the other week and if i don't sell it and do use it i think xud power will be for the win Smile ldv poilt boxes are getting quite pricey these days to... as for the fuel problem the choke cable/hotwax part working ok?
not moved the pump by lifting the engine out the pug/lifting it in to the vit having a strap placed wrong by any chance?
Thanks given by:
Fit bosch

/Thread
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just a thought, try using clear fuel lines so you can see if there's any air getting into the system.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2014, 06:16 AM)maxlee Wrote: could you tell me what gear box your using is it a stock suzuki one? just asking as i bought a jimny the other week and if i don't sell it and do use it i think xud power will be for the win Smile ldv poilt boxes are getting quite pricey these days to... as for the fuel problem the choke cable/hotwax part working ok?
not moved the pump by lifting the engine out the pug/lifting it in to the vit having a strap placed wrong by any chance?

if the engine came out of the vitara commercial it will have a suzuki original bellhousing attached to the gearbox, this is the only difference in the drivetrain, and bolts straight to any suzuki gearbox,.

i would assume air, but i would also assume that you arent getting any power to the solonoid, do you hear it click? if not there is the issue, check the fuel stop solonoid, its not as simple as simply rewiring it in this case and you may well need to think about another, non immobilised, lucas pump.

did you change the fuel lines on the vitara?

the Commercial lines are thicker front to back, for the increased fuel flow required by the pump..

if you didnt this could be causing a restriction,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I had lucas pumped 306 a couple of years ago, if it got air locked or ran dry there was no way I could bleed it by turning it the engine over or by the grenade(the usually bleeding procedures, crack injectors etc.).

So out would come the can of easy start and spray it down the manifold, once the pump started to turn over reasonable quick she would eventually fire, bleeding its self.
It is getting power to the solenoid and you can hear a click.
Not changef fuel linrs but its prining fuel up to and filling the filter so didnt think that would be too much of an issue with it being low pressure.
It does start with easy start but I im not a big fan of it and when it ran for a few seconds it sounded like a bag of spanners.
The original stop solenoid has been replaced with a standard single wire solenoid so this would mean the immobiliser is bypassed now?

Thanks for the help so far!
Thanks given by:
Checked fuel pipes right way round?
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2014, 08:09 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: Checked fuel pipes right way round?

I have and they are.

Good news thanks to your (forum) advice its running! Bit more easy start, lots of clatters and bangs then it smoothed out and now runs and sounds as it should! Very chuffed.

So once again thank you all for your helpful advice. Ill be sticking around too.
Thanks given by:
Woohoo! Forum Win!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas pump cap carlukepeugeot 7 3,729 19-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Last Post: johnny625
  Lucas pump timing probe issues weka 0 1,282 21-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: weka
  Need help d turbo lucas pump. Djbeny4477 1 1,470 21-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: johnny625