Suspension Setup Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension Setup Help
Hi Guys, Ive redone my front suspension setup but having a whole load of problems with it.

So Ive taken off the OEM mounts and put on the Baker BM top mounts. ive also fited the adjustable drop links.

I set the ride height to be the same as it was before but it was a lot lower. I raised it once and Ive raised it twice because it kept bottoming out all the time. Its not bottoming out all the time now but on big bumps its bottoming out really hard. So hard that this evening it activated the knock switch on the fuel pump!

Ive raised the car to higher than it was before but its still doing it! What can I do?
The damping is on max which doesnt exactly solve anything.

**SOLUTIONS**

- Im running 250lb springs, could go to 300lb but i like the current spring rate.

- I could raise the car more but the front will be a lot higher than the rear...

- I could get the shaft of the shock turned down in a lathe... however this would mean having them off the car and sending them away which I dont have time for!

Thoughts and advice please D:
Thanks given by:
raise the rear too, its too low anyway.

I doubt you would want 300lb springs, im running 315 lb kw springs on my ast's with iron block and 23mm bars.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Does sound like they are a bit soft...but Im running 250 springs with a much heavier lump than yours...so thats very odd.
Defo sure they are 250? Maybe try 275?!

(although I would second Welshy with raising the rear abit, amazing how it helped my car imo)

I take that back, I'm on 275s!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
havent got the time to raise the rear. im concerned now that ive set my droplinks up wrong and they are pulling the car down. will investigate tonight.
Thanks given by:
Droplinks wont pull the car down fella! All you are adjusting is the heigh of the arb in relation to the car
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
its very annoying... spent vast amount of money on this and now I have to run higher than before and bottom out over big bumps :/
Thanks given by:
It may help if your shocks were on the correct sides and them drop links were set up correctly mate Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2014, 09:22 AM)Niall Wrote: It may help if your shocks were on the correct sides and them drop links were set up correctly mate Wink

yep... blahhh another afternoons work D:
Thanks given by:
250 wont be soft with an alloy block, ive been running 185 with the iron block for a few years!

standard is around 120.

are you sure its bottoming out not just going coilbound or the damper making the bang?

I had a bilstein with a damaged lip seal so the lower leg had water in it, which wiuld make a bang on big bumps.

water doesmt compress like air! they were inverted type though, which afaik you have avo's so they will be std.

well know for leaking and not working great
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I like the 250lb springs so I dont think spending any money on those is actually going to help at all.

Its bottoming out afaik. The adjustable ring is very far up the housing and the shaft is about 30mm lower than it was before.

Only way I can think of fixing this is to get the shoulder of the shaft turned down so that the entire shaft is moved about 30mm higher. It will give me loads more travel.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you're going coilbound, raising the car up on the adjustable platform will make it even worse. What length springs are they? You probably want around 10" springs at 250lb, although that's dependant on damper length.
Thanks given by:
As allan says, what length are your springs?

Turning down the shaft on a lathe is a waste of time.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension Setup KAIN306 10 2,288 14-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Last Post: MY95
  206 suspension users? Rock hard suspension HDIkyle 10 4,015 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: puglove