Official battery testing technique!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official battery testing technique!?
Is there a way i can test a battery so i can be 100% sure it is perfect? I know the AA have a computer thing that can calulate a batterys cca which is impressive but how can i check a battery to that extent at home? Obviously i can check its at 12.6 volts but that doesnt seem like a good check to me... Then theres load testing... Are those 2 enough to confirm a batterys health?

Basically i have a starting issue, where i think the engine is cranking right at that borderline starting speed where it starts but it just doesnt start the first rotation of the engine and i think either the battery or starter are to blame, car is 10years old so maybe its at the end of the second batterys life?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
All you can do is check the battery voltage when the car is being cranked.
Id say if its dropping near/below 10, its had it.

Also, I've got one of them testers which i use at work. All it does is simulate a load over a set period of time and calculates remaining AH based on that. They aren't overly accurate.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well i just went out and put the meter on it, 12.50/12.49... The cars been sat for about 4 hours locked now and not driven today, wont be able to crank and check for a drop til tomorrow now, unless i attempt it in the dark :/ sod it im going to have a go!

Dropped 12.2 with ignition on and then 10when cranking and came back up to 11 then started. Cranked for a good 3seconds before it started which was nice.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
There is SO much contraversy on this subject, cant find a solid answer anywhere online, some say 9.6 and its shot others say 10.5, some say the headlights are a high load lol. What a faff, a new battery is a tidy 100quid and i dont want to blow that for almost no reason Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Got a spare battery lying around? Link the 2 with some jump leads and see if its any better?
Thanks given by:
lot of places will check your battery for free altho the answer they give might be slightly biased given most places that do the testing sell them.. but im ever so slightly cynical lol
Thanks given by:
Going to pop in halfords later and see if my mate down there has access to a tester :/ anyone else have an opinion on my current battery?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Stick ya tonque across it Smile

Most garages like quickfit will do a free battery test, its just a simple gauge that puts load on the battery and shows if its any good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Must have a long tongue Piggy... lol

Tom, your battery does sound low tbh, assuming it's the same as the Golf battery they're massive to cope with turning over a heavy engine, bigger starter than a 306, heating the glow plugs and the extra electrical load items (yes, even headlights are a heavy load btw).
Thanks given by:
If youre going to get a new one make sure you get a bosch silver line. Never had any problems and i believe you can take them back and get them replaced no questions asked!
Thanks given by:
Halfords don't do the bosch silver lines anymore. They are using Yuasa silvers as a premium battery which are still great. We use Yuasa stuff all the time at work and it's spot on most of the time.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yuasa os what i have now, bloody great 5year one.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
How old is it? Probably 5 years and a month, that's usually when guarantee'd items fail. lol
Thanks given by:
My bosch failed at 4yrs 10 months. Lucky of what! Lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
No way to know how old it is...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
If it's a Yuasa, there's a 6-8 digit code stamped on the top somewhere. Take a pic and I'll tell you how old it js.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
5 050694 030529

Thats the number on the barcode, no nimber stamped on the top...

Heres a curve ball, halfords yuasa battery tester said the battery is A ok i didnt get a good look at the screen but the chap said its spose to have 760 and its got 846 i assume he means amps, surely that cant be right lol!?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sounds right for cold cranking amps tbh! Hmm, are all terminals tight, inc the starter ones?
Thanks given by:
That's one of their old style stamps and I haven't got the sheet for them but it's either 2006 or 2005 in pretty sure :/
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The cars a 54 though! Surely thats not the original audi one??
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It'll be stamped/stickered with the VAG logo if its original...blue Golf was still on the original at 10 years old...
Thanks given by:
Dont think its original then! Its yuasa branded
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Cant remember what brand they used tbh, probably whoever did them the best deal at the time, think it was Varta in the Golf but Audi might've spent a bit more. lol But if it's very obviously a normal Yuasa them it's not the original, originals were black with the brand written in tiny white writing and the VAG part number scrawled across the top lol.
Thanks given by:
Definately not oem then. Hmm. Not sure what to do now. Its more of a cold start issue and my cold starts are at 3am and i dont want to be f*cking around at that time lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Did you try hooking it up to another battery?
Thanks given by:
It still does this every morning, it doesnt do it every start so its hard to know if the jump pack is helping. I have tried it twice with the jump pack attached to the battery and it has started better. Now i think of it, i will charge up the jump pack and try it tomorrow morning!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Started better this morning with jump pack and that was at 4am. Hmm. Will try again when i finish work and see what happens. Its looking more and more like a weak battery.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Surely you can tell if the battery is down....It will motor faster / better with a jump pack vs without...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Lol yeah...

If you really want to know, get a drop tester on it.. Those shitty little computerised things are crap, unless she's shoving out 500a+ you'll never know whether it's really working properly.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I just fail to see the point in battery testers, its fairly obvious if a battery is good, or if a battery is getting old / bad....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat battery/ can't open at to charge battery Aaron _d95 18 7,825 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: C2K