1.8 16v oil filter removal??? . . . .any tips??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 16v oil filter removal??? . . . .any tips??
Question 
i'm fixing up a 1.8 atm to sell on, i bought it to break but seems too good,

anyway me being an xud man i've always managed to remove the oil filter with my hands and some rubber gloves, it's a shit on these engines though, guess i need some sort of strap/wrench tool??

any tips 1.8 people? . . .

cheers, Matt . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Is the XUD different then?

I've found this filter tool to be best for HDi/1.8 etc - http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...moval-band

Not the cheapest but by far the best I've used!
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 11:57 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Is the XUD different then?

I've found this filter tool to be best for HDi/1.8 etc - http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...moval-band

Not the cheapest but by far the best I've used!

have you honestly never owned an XUD yet? . . . Big Grin . . .yeah it's a real pain to get to on this 1.8, no chance from the top and not much better from the bottom lol . . . XUD you can get both hands on it from the top . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Why would I want to own an XUD? Confused Except for the ease of oil filter changing it seems lol.

Yeah, 1.8 and HDi, especially with air con are a right pain to get to the filter. But up from underneath with the tool I linked and it becomes pretty easy!
Thanks given by:
See I prefer these http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...s-300mm-12 and they are cheaper too and require less adjustment and will also turn coilover lock rings

[Image: 289967?%24pd_enlarge%24]

Oh and I'm sure all the 1.8-2.0 306s use the same 1109AL filter
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 12:40 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: See I prefer these http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...s-300mm-12 and they are cheaper too and require less adjustment and will also turn coilover lock rings

Agreed with this. First few turns have to be baby turns due to the AC pump but as soon as its loose, you can get your hand up there and spin it off.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I've got a pair of those as well, the massive handles get in the way lol, also got a chain as well, still prefer the other type! More surface area to grip, barely require adjustment at all, just twist the knob slightly and the thin handle means you get more movement on each turn.
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 12:40 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: See I prefer these http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...s-300mm-12 and they are cheaper too and require less adjustment and will also turn coilover lock rings

yes it's the same filter mate, already checked that out . .Smile
(18-10-2014, 01:03 PM)Niall Wrote:

Agreed with this. First few turns have to be baby turns due to the AC pump but as soon as its loose, you can get your hand up there and spin it off.
yeah that's the issue, it's uber tight up there, i was making some strange sex noises trying to get it off by hand this morning . . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
See I find those very good in a tight space as you dont need your hand anywhere near it and just hold the very end of the grips
Thanks given by:
Each to their own really I guess. Smile
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads and Tom Big Grin x
Thanks given by:
Its a interesting one filter tools, ive tried just about everything over the years, and if im honest, when it comes down to it, 99.9% of the time, its the good old fasion chain tool that gets the job done, next to no space needed, gets a chronic grip (provided you know how to use it correctly and make it BITE) and never goes wrong Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Water pumps grips are my choice of tool for oil filters
Thanks given by:
I have a chain one as mentioned which is good but I also use one like this 9/10 times:

[attachment=19666]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I use my hands, but any car I tend to work on ive fitted the filter myself in the past so know it's not going to be too tight, otherwise the chain like darren said.

I do have quite strong hands though, as long as its clean I can get most off.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 09:46 PM)welshpug Wrote: I use my hands, but any car I tend to work on ive fitted the filter myself in the past so know it's not going to be too tight, otherwise the chain like darren said.

I do have quite strong hands though, as long as its clean I can get most off.

I have strong hands too fella, you can't get you bloody hands on this though Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: shopping_zpsujjocjhd.jpeg]

This works a treat.
A 3/8" ratchet goes on the end
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 06:16 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: [Image: shopping_zpsujjocjhd.jpeg]

This works a treat.
A 3/8" ratchet goes on the end

See I used to love those when I worked at Honda but it is a pain in the arse when you find a non OEM filter that doesn't have the splines on it or the engine is canted over far enough that you can't use it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah there are a few filters it won't fit but I haven't had a problem using them on halfords/comline filters
Thanks given by:
The key with the chain, is to have it just the right length so that it relly digs into / dents and trips where the handle attachs to the chain, provided its not a cheapy tool made from cheese, it will always un do a filter this way. To be fair, I never overtighten filters, but ive come across filters which I KNOW I was the last one to tighten, which has been tight as hell to remove, some cars just seem to stick them like hell.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Why not try the old fashioned stab a screwdriver in the side of it and pull up or down ?
Thanks given by:
all that does in my experience is a big messy dangerous mess!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 05:46 PM)doski Wrote: Why not try the old fashioned stab a screwdriver in the side of it and pull up or down ?

Last time I did that the handle of the screwdriver broke before the filter turned, then with another one it just ripped around the circumference of the filter instead of turning it.

It does work if they aren't on tight, but it is much easier to just wind it off with something fit for purpose.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
ohhh ffs honestly, just been at this again now, been working on other stuff last few weeks, and can i fcuk get it off . . . . .i just can't get at the bastarrrd thing, i've taken the air box off and an oil pipe that goes to the sump and i still can't get it, considering taking the throttle body off next . .

has anyone actually worked on one of these engines or are y'all just giving general advice? not having a go but i need to know the actual knack . . . really getting annoyed with it now, pissing it down with rain today too . . . .:p
Thanks given by:
Yes, I've changed several oil filters on 1.8s! They're really not impossible lol...
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2014, 01:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yes, I've changed several oil filters on 1.8s! They're really not impossible lol...

any tips though seriously? the thing is i suppose, this filter is so old it's rusted through where it mates to the block and leaking oil, did you remove anything?
Thanks given by:
I've got a chain tool if you need dude?
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2014, 01:14 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: I've got a chain tool if you need dude?

cheers, got a chain tool and like a C shaped one, it's just so hard to get at the actual filter . .Sad
Thanks given by:
I had one that hadn't been serviced in 4 years... Had only done 1k a year tbf lol. Didn't remove anything. Got it off with a wanky chain wrench as that's all I had at the time after a fail with a screwdriver -

[Image: Photo-0060-5.jpg]

[Image: Photo-0057-4.jpg]

New one on...

[Image: Photo-0061-6.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Use your hands you pansy...

but when my hands fail, the strap-ons tend to be pretty good..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by: