Water damage - can it be repaired?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water damage - can it be repaired?
This evening a drove through a ford with about 1 - 2ft of water. The engine died just as I got to the other side. I tried to restart it and it made strange noises, eventually started idling roughly with a loud knocking noise. I cleaned out the air filter housing whilst waiting for the AA and it was full of water.

I have since been reading about hydrolocking and bent con-rods. Feeling depressed about having probably ruined my car.

I am reasonably handy with the Haynes manual, and I have a friend who is a mechanic.

Any advice on how to save the engine? I do not have the money to send it to a garage for expensive repairs.

Model 306 1.4, 1999
Engine number: TU3JP (KFX)
Thanks given by:
It may have been fine if you hadnt tried to start it. Sounds dead tbh

You sure it was a ford!? 1-2ft of water doesnt sound like a ford!!?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What did AA say about it?

Could be bottom end knock so would have to strip the engine and rebuild at least partially may just be better swapping the entire engine yourself in a 1.4?
Thanks given by:
As above, second had lump for under £100. Swap within few hours
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Swap the engine, they are cheep as shit, because they are shit lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 10:46 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Swap the engine, they are cheep as shit, because they are shit lol

Thanks - any recommendations on where to purchase a replacement engine?

Do I need a crane to get the engine in and out?
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 10:51 PM)daveharvey Wrote:
(17-10-2014, 10:46 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Swap the engine, they are cheep as shit, because they are shit lol

Put a wanted thread up in here and look for cars breaking on ebay, you could do with a crane really even though they're not the heaviest blocks in the world, alternatively I'll have a V plate 1.8 306 to sell soon if you're interested lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 10:59 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(17-10-2014, 10:51 PM)daveharvey Wrote:

Put a wanted thread up in here and look for cars breaking on ebay, you could do with a crane really even though they're not the heaviest blocks in the world, alternatively I'll have a V plate 1.8 306 to sell soon if you're interested lol

forever the pimp haha
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
For anyone that wants to know - I got a cheap engine from a scrap yard (about £150 inc delivery) and successfully changed it with the help of a friend. I rented a hoist, and shifting the engine was the easy bit. What took ages was fiddling about with all the leads, auxiliary bits and bobs and drive belts. And getting the drive shafts out. It took me about 3 weeks of Saturdays and several evenings each week. But it was doable, even for a newbie mechanic like me. And now she runs better than before.
Thanks given by:
Similar thing happened to my 1.4 rover when i first started driving. Went through a massive puddle and car cut out and wouldn't start. Left it there overnight and it started and ran ok the next day
Thanks given by:
Well done on sorting it out, shame it's still a 1.4 pmsl, seriously though good work Smile
Thanks given by:
Well done!
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by: