XUD runaway.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD runaway.
Wondering if anyone could help me out a bit here. I have a Bosch VE with gov mod and LDA grind. I've also removed the max throttle stop screw. Only recently (the past week) if i rev the car past 4,000-4,500 rpm, and shut off, the car still revs on its own but for a split second then revs drop like normal. Have no idea whether it could be the governor inside the pump has failed or if the max fuelling has been turned too far? Anyone help! Thanks!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Why would you rev it to 4500rpm then shut it off!?!

Engine/head/turbo killing move!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2014, 04:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: Why would you rev it to 4500rpm then shut it off!?!

Engine/head/turbo killing move!

To change gear?

Do you have any help or are you just going to tell me what i know?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
cover all moving bits in wd40? just incase the arm/cable etc is sticking?
Thanks given by:
Piggy bro I think he means let the throttle off. But yes never ever switch the engine off until it has idled for at least 5 or 10 seconds. Let the turbo spool down and tings
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2014, 05:12 PM)maxlee Wrote: cover all moving bits in wd40? just incase the arm/cable etc is sticking?

I'm pretty certain the arm isn't sticking mate Smile when you operate it when running/not running it doesn't appear close to anything or show signs of sticking. I've just put a new throttle cable on it today aswell.

(10-10-2014, 05:22 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: Piggy bro I think he means let the throttle off. But yes never ever switch the engine off until it has idled for at least 5 or 10 seconds. Let the turbo spool down and tings

Shut off as in take my foot off the throttle Big Grin
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Start with the easy stuff to diagnose:

Try turning the fuelling down a touch, it's easy to do and eliminates that problem.

RE: turbo seals, pull off the LDA pipe and check for oil, if there's lots, that's possibly going to need more investigation.

Are you running the stock crank breather system? If so check the oil level, if it's overfilled or diesel is getting into the oil then it'll potentially cause oil to get to the intake, these engines run positive crank pressure that increases on high mileage lumps due to worn piston rings.

Have you removed the damper on the front and the spring mechanism on the back of the pump? If not, do so as they can get sticky and cause the revs to hang.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Defo as jonny says, turn the fuel back a half turn before trying to diagnose further.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like fuel is too high. My revs hang if I turn up the fuel too much. Turn it down half a turn
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2014, 05:37 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Start with the easy stuff to diagnose:

Try turning the fuelling down a touch, it's easy to do and eliminates that problem.

RE: turbo seals, pull off the LDA pipe and check for oil, if there's lots, that's possibly going to need more investigation.

Are you running the stock crank breather system? If so check the oil level, if it's overfilled or diesel is getting into the oil then it'll potentially cause oil to get to the intake, these engines run positive crank pressure that increases on high mileage lumps due to worn piston rings.

Have you removed the damper on the front and the spring mechanism on the back of the pump? If not, do so as they can get sticky and cause the revs to hang.

Turned max fuelling down to the point where my idle is now beginning to lower to. I'll check it over tomorrow. Have a feeling it's something to do with the governor possibly. Given up with it today it can sit in the garden and think about its actions.

Appreciate the help, thanks!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Ah I get ya now.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeh defo just hanging revs, mine did this when pushing too far Wink search for alternative solutions to get more fuel in Big Grin
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 01:57 PM)Dave Wrote: Yeh defo just hanging revs, mine did this when pushing too far Wink search for alternative solutions to get more fuel in Big Grin

What caused it on yours? I've put a standard LDA in it, had the pump apart and checked the governor set up and it all looks fine, turned down max fuel and put a new throttle cable on it, checked the throttle pedal itself and it's fine.

Oil level is fine and breathers are fine.

If you rev it high like i say, the throttle physically stays down, but if you switch the car off and try to force the throttle arm or anything, there's a notch in feel at about 3/4 travel but it won't stick. The hole in the pump which the throttle shaft goes through is free.

Also, i've noticed it smoking a lot more than normal off boost...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
That notch feel you describe is where it is hitting the governor spring fyi

Did you check the max fuel by winding it back half a turn, sounds like the problem to me too Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2014, 04:56 PM)londondan86 Wrote: That notch feel you describe is where it is hitting the governor spring fyi

Did you check the max fuel by winding it back half a turn, sounds like the problem to me too Smile

Thought it was. Got it sorted. Fuelling/catching/cables, fixed it with a hammer

Thanks for the help people!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 01:57 PM)Dave Wrote: Yeh defo just hanging revs, mine did this when pushing too far Wink search for alternative solutions to get more fuel in Big Grin

Yeah, as experienced by me test driving your car LOL!

Pull away, go past 3k, engine fully starts running away whilst driving up the road... Great!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2014, 03:33 PM)Ruan Wrote:

Yeah, as experienced by me test driving your car LOL!

Pull away, go past 3k, engine fully starts running away whilst driving up the road... Great!

Pushing the fuelling to the limit Wink

If its in gear then a gentle bite on the clutch will just bring it down though. runaway with the pump from too much fuel effectively just removes the govnor, but still doesnt put in any real amount more fuel than it does to make it idle, it just puts in a tiny tiny bit more than is required to turn the engine over.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  blown turbo causing diesel runaway willJspears 15 3,252 23-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Last Post: firemoth
  Is my dtub gonna runaway ? An1mal06 15 3,709 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Dave