Suspension - thoughts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension - thoughts.
Does lowering/changing the suspension effect the handling from the original spec?

One of the things I loved about my 6 was the handling and damping. Most of the ones on the market now have been lowered or non standard suspension. I personally prefer my cars a bit more ninja
Thanks given by:
Yes, of course it does. Any difference in geometry, suspension, weight will have an effect on handling. And everything is a compromise, even the standard set up, it can be improved.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Definitely!

For a start the bottom ball joint is further out and further forwards than the top mount giving the standard camber and castor but shortening the distance between the 2 increases camber and castor.

It also can induce bump steer (where the steering arms aren't level with the rack and going over a bump causes the car to toe in/out die to the movement of the suspension effectively shortening/lengthening the arm).

Theres also al load more characteristics with COG, Roll centers, roll resistance from stiffer dampers, weight transfer that are all altered.
Thanks given by:
And the ARB wont be horizontal any more so in a perfect world youd have adjustable drop links.
Thanks given by:
Cheers, so I need to stick to an unmodified one.

If it has adjustable suspension could I get it up to OEM height, or will it still be inherently different?
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2014, 02:10 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Definitely!

For a start the bottom ball joint is further out and further forwards than the top mount giving the standard camber and castor but shortening the distance between the 2 increases camber and castor.

It also can induce bump steer (where the steering arms aren't level with the rack and going over a bump causes the car to toe in/out die to the movement of the suspension effectively shortening/lengthening the arm).

Theres also al load more characteristics with COG, Roll centers, roll resistance from stiffer dampers, weight transfer that are all altered.

Not sure i totally agree with you there buddy.

Ball joint sweep distance wont change so wont be further in or out unless lower arms are modified.
More camber perhaps but castor should be the same

Bump steer is easily rectified with balancing and centering the rack too, this is a more common issue of bump steer. And usually the sweep of the track rod arm can thus be matched to the lower arm sweep.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tbh any 306 you buy now will have different handling to when it left the factory anyway!

Saggy beam and tired shocks make a huge difference for a start...

One with a decent 40mm kit and rebuilt beam will be better than one with 14 year old standard parts.
Thanks given by:
Matching the tie rod to the wishbone sweep won't remove bump steer on a car with a Mcpherson strut, far from it.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
It will help dramatically though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
2nd what piggy said.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd Thoughts chylledapps 15 3,567 24-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  Thoughts on mk1 mx5 Jtrigga 34 11,260 18-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob