darrenjlobb's Rolling Road Chassis Dyno Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Rolling Road Chassis Dyno Project
maybe you need to look to america as that is where your rollers came from i believe Wink
Thanks given by:
That's what I meant Darren, machine both so they are the other way round, even if you have to carefully weld a sleeve or something similar in to the housing and machine out the shaft. It may be the only way to do it
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 09:44 AM)cully Wrote: maybe you need to look to america as that is where your rollers came from i believe Wink

Heh I have searched the states as best as I can also...and several UK resellers have been in contact with there American suppliers, to no avail...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
i am just thinking...

differential seals on the suzuki are "sprung outer" like the (driveshaft seals either side)..

might be worth a look at some truck part supply places for older military vehicles? i should imagine something like the Alvis Stalwart will have an odd, imperial, configuration.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Dont you have a lathe? couldn't you machine some up?
Thanks given by:
Looks epic so far,keep up the good work Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
No lathe here at the moment, will find one locally one day, but for the time being sadly I dont have one...

Most vehicle things are just normal lip seals in general, other than water pumps which have a basic mechanical seal in them...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
http://www.waterworld.com/index.html give these guys a poke, see if they can help
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Bit of a boring update, but have "fingers crossed" got my shaft seal solution sorted, after speaking to various people with the same unit , I quickly came to the conclusion that I simply wasnt going to find a replacement off the shelf seal, they literally just dont exsist, So decided to figure out a way to retro fit a modern seal, which from using parts from various seals and modifying housing / shaft and the collar, I THINK ive figured a way to make it work, not finished the concept yet, but will hopefully know by the end of the week, need to machine some parts down before I can put housing over and find out!

So in the mean time have started doing some prep in the workshop to make it fit, anyway who has had any work done with me before / come and payed me a visit will know, that I dont have a posh fancy workshop, or any of that, its literally a disused calf shed (I used to rear calves in this very shed when I was younger) which I took over, and has converted itself into my workshop. So its not ideal, but it does what I need it to do. A few years ago me and Chris dug / built a pit, and made a "hole" in the wall so you could drive through.
It has served its purpose well, but one pain with it, is when there is a car over the pit, the opening is only just wider and the car, resulted in lots of squeezing past / wing contact, and just generally no room to work...

A picture before...: (also anyone that visits recently will be shocked with how much stuff ive had to move to "clear" this area!!

[Image: IMG_20141102_110954.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141101_195542.jpg]

So started by marking where we wanted to extend to, and just stitch drilled down through to make a "brake away" point:

[Image: IMG_20141102_110954.jpg]

Removed the old frame we made last time and "propped" the roof up, couldnt find the props so out with the old door frame and a spacer Tongue

[Image: IMG_20141102_114201.jpg]

Bit of a clear up:

[Image: IMG_20141102_122633.jpg]

Decided to remove the extra wood in the roof and butt our new truss right up to the top, gave us an extra 5 inchs of headroom, which means i can walk through without banging my head (Dont get excited Ruan, your still f*cked chap Tongue)

[Image: IMG_20141102_143417.jpg]

Banged up new frame:

[Image: IMG_20141102_152803.jpg]

Then set them in concrete / back filled the gaps with cement, but forgot to take a photo of that. So now plenty of room to walk around the car, and also plenty of room in the event of a dyno strap fail to prevent cars smashing into the walls!

No, its not a professional job, but its only ever been a "temporary" workshop to be honest, I just keep spending the money I need to build a proper purposed one on making more boost, but maybe one day, It's far from ideal but it gets the job done and many things have been created under this roof!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Looks great. Good progress! Haven't been down to lobby land yet but maybe I'll be down again in a few years time by which point you may have just fixed the seal problem lol.
Thanks given by:
Jealous of your workshop tbh. Id be more than happy with that!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Good work fella Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Looks like you've got a great space there only slightly jealous! will be mega when you get your rolling road sorted out.
Thanks given by:
Beats my gravel drive!! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-11-2014, 10:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: Beats my gravel drive!! lol

Haha there the worst changed a clutch on gravel once worst idea!
Thanks given by:
Nice to see a different project going on and will be good to see when it's all done

Workshop looks brilliant
Thanks given by:
Workshop looks amazing. Looks huge when its tidy. (mine looks twice the size tidied too though)
Thanks given by:
but can it beat an evo? =D

I have a nice reliable figure for mine Darren.. so if you want me to come down and give you a calibration vehicle other than your own (and your tractor) I would be more than happy to obligue..

might require you to help me fit my FMIC at some point as well lol,
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Gave the frames a quick paint up tonight. Was going to have them shot blasted and then spray them up, but the guy who was going to shot blast them didnt have time, so I just picked them up, cleaned them up and painted them up, save some money and not going to make any difference really Smile

Wanted to maintain the original Yellow that Clayton made them, but of course, I had to use the nearest substitute, Deere Yellow Smile that being said, the colour is near enough identical to the original Clayton colour where it hadn't faded underneath things!

[Image: IMG_20141104_195642.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141104_195648.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
That. yellow. is. Epic! if it's as bright as it looks on my screen... that's exactly the colour i want for mine Smile

workshop looks brilliant, so much want for something like that one day
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Niceeeee! So you gonna be digging holes for the roller to go in or what's the plan?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah will be digging a hole in front the pit there, exhaust fan out the rear wall, with car pointing toward the camera...

But have to refrain from doing that, as I need to "drop a cummins in a landrover" next week, so dont want to restrict pit access!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Is that wiring looms in the left hand corner..?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 09:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Yeah will be digging a hole in front the pit there, exhaust fan out the rear wall, with car pointing toward the camera...

But have to refrain from doing that, as I need to "drop a cummins in a landrover" next week, so dont want to restrict pit access!

lol, finally get fed up with the 300tdi leaking oil?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 08:46 AM)silverzx Wrote: Is that wiring looms in the left hand corner..?

It is, can always find the connector you need in that lot somewhere Tongue

(05-11-2014, 08:49 AM)toseland Wrote:
(04-11-2014, 09:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Yeah will be digging a hole in front the pit there, exhaust fan out the rear wall, with car pointing toward the camera...

lol, finally get fed up with the 300tdi leaking oil?

Haha yeah, and head gaskets going, and its just generally worn out!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Rolling road day at darrens it is! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 09:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: But have to refrain from doing that, as I need to "drop a cummins in a landrover" next week

As you do! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 09:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: I need to "drop a cummins in a landrover" next week

Now that is a project. I want one!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
6BT?

would be interesting to see the difference in weight between the TDI lump and the cummins
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
240kg difference
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reinstate The 25Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption Uberderv 9 1,630 21-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  Rolling road near darlington mossy1985 5 1,195 20-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Last Post: mossy1985
  FAO Anyone trying to contact the farmer (darrenjlobb) Tom 10 3,083 23-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Atterz