Standard brakes are doing my head in..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard brakes are doing my head in..
Well, I sold my xantia, and bought a 306, anyway I've have this problem with my last 306 aswell, I changed the back axle in my current 306 due to the fact that the last axle the bearings were collapsed, anyhow since the car is a phase 1, it had a small drum axle, well I changed it to a big hub abs axle, canceled off the compensator, due to work I left the car with two brake pipes off at the rear for a week, but got two made up stuck them on, filled up the system and bled it from farthest to nearest using a pressure bleeder, the problem I have is that the peddle is hard with only a few cm's of travel then rock hard when the car isn't started, but when I start the car, the peddle goes all soft and if you hold it long enough hard, it will get to the floor, I've checked for cylinder leaks but no sign, completely stumped and as I said had this problem with my last 306, I surely must be doing something wrong? Thanks in advance..
Thanks given by:
Everything sounds ok to me.

Pedal should keep going down, if firm pressure applied, when started due to the servo working

What does it drive like?
If you start the car then switch off and try the pedal...whats it like?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 06:38 AM)Piggy Wrote: Everything sounds ok to me.

Pedal should keep going down, if firm pressure applied, when started due to the servo working

What does it drive like?

It shouldn't go to the floor though, yeah itll go down abit more, but should stop well before the floor?
Thanks given by:

What does it drive like?

I know it should go down when heavy pressure is applied, but it feels like there's fluid escaping? I checked for leaks, but can't seem to find any? The brakes were perfect before the beam swap, I also lowered the car at the same time while changing the beam. The lines I got made up, used 10mm unions, there not as snug as the original peugeot ones, but tighten up no problem. I am stumped, also what doesn't help is that I'm currently in England working but it finishes next weekend, and the car needs to make a 312 mile trip and would like the brakes fully working :/
Thanks given by:
I've found the problem, when I bought the axle the person said it had the brakes overall hauled, eg new cylinders, adjusters greased etc.. But the near side cylinder is weeping ever so slightly, does anyone know we're I could get a cylinder at today, or even have an old scrap beam that I could purchase the cylinders out of? As near to Southampton, Winchester direction as possible! Oh, and I need it today! Thanks..
Thanks given by:
find a motorfactor that's open, they are pretty common so shouldn't be too difficult to find a wheel cylinder.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 12:49 PM)welshpug Wrote: find a motorfactor that's open, they are pretty common so shouldn't be too difficult to find a wheel cylinder.

Rang three places, 1 didn't have a clue what it was, and the others needed 3 days to get it ordered in, looks like I'm well and truely stuffed..
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 09:01 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:

What does it drive like?

It shouldn't go to the floor though, yeah itll go down abit more, but should stop well before the floor?

It will keep going down

(05-10-2014, 01:25 PM)Tmcilvar Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 12:49 PM)welshpug Wrote: find a motorfactor that's open, they are pretty common so shouldn't be too difficult to find a wheel cylinder.

Rang three places, 1 didn't have a clue what it was, and the others needed 3 days to get it ordered in, looks like I'm well and truely stuffed..

Well...only for another three days!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You would think that piggy, but I work 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts and Sunday is really the only day I have off.. Plus as I've said I'm in England at the minute working but finishing on the Friday and getting the 11.20 boat this Saturday back to Northern Ireland.. So yeah, I'm pretty stuffed lol
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 01:29 PM)Piggy Wrote: It will keep going down

If yours does Piggy, then your brakes are f*cked too!

It should go down some as the assistance boosts the brake pressure, but it should never keep creeping down, that means there's a leak.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 02:59 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(05-10-2014, 01:29 PM)Piggy Wrote: It will keep going down

If yours does Piggy, then your brakes are f*cked too!

It should go down some as the assistance boosts the brake pressure, but it should never keep creeping down, that means there's a leak.

Yeah thats what I was saying lol, if it hits the flopr your fecked..
Thanks given by:
Il give this a bump, anyway, and update; I changed the two brake cylinders on the back and that made no difference what so ever, I bled them and still a very soft pedal, can't get it hard at all even after pumping it, would it be the master cylinder? What would cause the seals in the master cylinder to go? I can't find any leaks in the pipes either, and checked the brake vaccum pump and pipe, no cracks or splits, and the pump is working fine? I'm actually desperate at this point due to fact the car has to make a 500 mile trip on Saturday and I would like more than 25 percent braking..
Thanks given by:
Master cylinder seals do wear over time, not surprising really with a piston sliding past them several times a day, and if any shite gets in the brake fluid (grit/rust) obviously that can cause damage to the seals. That'd be my guess tbh, though it seems odd that you can get a firm pedal with the engine off.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 01:51 PM)Tmcilvar Wrote: You would think that piggy, but I work 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts and Sunday is really the only day I have off.. Plus as I've said I'm in England at the minute working but finishing on the Friday and getting the 11.20 boat this Saturday back to Northern Ireland.. So yeah, I'm pretty stuffed lol

Where about over here are you? Fyfes normally has most things I needed for the 306 but depending where your at im not sure what places are near you..
Thanks given by:
ill be keeping my eye on this... mine creeps down but again no obvious leaks :/
Thanks given by:
I didnt mean it will go to the floor. Soz for confusion.

Just that depending on your overall setup it will creep down a bit on startup with pressure applied
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standard Brakes Question Kezzieboy 18 2,182 14-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  how much better are 283s than standard dt brakes? philpemberton94 10 1,577 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Last Post: welshpug