Brake change/fluid amount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake change/fluid amount
Ok guys,

Gonna be fitting a different beam and the 6 calipers I got during the weekend.

I bought a gunson pressure bleeder to make it all easier and hopefully rid the system of all dot 4 to make way for the dot 5.1 stuff.

Got halfords stuff on trade but only bought one litre. Im thinking that I MAY need more but just thought id ask and see first?

Any tips for bleeding it all up from dry also? Front calipers will be bone dry as they've been fully stripped and hopefully the rest of the system will be too.

[Image: verybuzu.jpg]

Everyone loves clean looking bits so thought id throw that in there lol
Thanks given by:
iirc the system holds about 750ml but you will use a fair bit properly bleeding though all of them so id go and buy another 500ml just so you don't run out.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
1 litre is in theory enough, but doesn't leave you much spare to bleed out any trapped air.

I'd suggest getting a 2nd bottle now if you don't have any other way of getting there once your car is in pieces

Pressure bleeder normally makes it pretty easy to bleed through a near-empty system, but be warned, make sure that the connections are absolutely 100% secure as those things have a habit of popping off and spraying brake fluid everywhere...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
1 litre may just about do it but have 2 litres just in case as always better to bleed a bit extra through. When bleeding start from the furthest away from the master cylinder
Thanks given by:
Yeah know about the furthest away etc, bought the pressure bleeder as had heard good reports about them & was well warned about the caps coming off haha.

Will be careful of that, grand I will get another litre then just for future purposes if I dont use it all anyhow.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Yeh definitely get another bottle. If you only half bleed it youre going to be stuck. Not a great situation.

I dont think i have ever seen one of the pressure systems used successfully. Always been good with a friend pumping the pedal.
Thanks given by:
Im often stuck without a helper and needing shit done so just bit the bullet.

A friend of mine says he uses it for his clutch which has some problems and gave good reports.

Basically if theres the right cap there then they work, ill let you guys know how I get on though & may well convert a few.
Thanks given by:
Yep its the cap that's often the problem. I'm sure there is a decent one out there! Just a matter of buying the right one .

Link to the one you've bought?
Thanks given by:
Just bought the halfords one aa seen people talking about 'Gunsons bleeding method'

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...-eezibleed
Thanks given by:
What do you need dot 5 for?
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 11:33 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Just bought the halfords one aa seen people talking about 'Gunsons bleeding method'

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...-eezibleed

That's the one I have, and used on Sams car as well....it was shit, or maybe I was doing it wrong. Tongue

Instead I bought a small bleeder with a one way valve it, worked much better for me.
Thanks given by:
Dont strictly NEED dot 5, but for the sake of the higher boiling point ill get it.

Have cooked the 266's a few times in the past so want the least chance of that happening in future.

Gave the brakes a bleed tonight but not much fluid came out, and the brakes arent hard yet. The pressure bleeder makes it relatively easy, and will try again with it 2moro.

Hoping to put a good litre or more through the system and get a hard pedal. Hoping being the main word.

Looking forward to seeing what the hype is around 6 brakes as my 266's had ruined discs/pads and a badly bled system so will hopefully seem like a great difference.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2014, 06:13 PM)S160six Wrote: What do you need dot 5 for?

I'm sure it's just a typo, but worth pointing out that DOT5 and DOT5.1 are completely different fluids - don't confuse one with t'other!

DOT5 is unsuitable for use in a 306 or indeed most other cars.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Been using an Eezi-Bleed for a few years now and never had an issue apart from when the cap split due to over-zealous tightening. Couple of things to look out for, make sure the tyre is at the correct pressure (20psi AFAIK), the bottle is topped up with new fluid and the little fibre washers on the cap (where the pipe goes through) are nipped up.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Still having trouble with the brake system. Its always been duff though so im thinking master cylinder or ekse servo, no leaks and no air in the fluid. Bled through well over a litre now.
Thanks given by:
Try leaving a bar on the brake pedal over night to keep pressure on the pedal and see what its like in the morning
Thanks given by:
It feels like it slowly sinks when the cars turned on tbh, feels like a dud m/c.
Thanks given by:
If its slowly going to the floor then its most likely the m/c aslong as youve no leaks.
Thanks given by:
It seems to slowly sink yeah, differs each time.

All the unions are dry and no visible leaks, time for a 6 master cylinder then it seems.

Tell a lie, there is visible fluid around the base of the master cylinder where it meets the servo. Dont knos if this is spillage from the bleeder or if it it just goosed.

Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
M/c seals, did it only start this after replacing the brakes? sometimes you can damage the seals if you pump the pedal to the floor after refilling the fluid.

Btw suck the fluid out from the servo if any has gotten in because that will mess up the diaphragm over time if its left in it.
Thanks given by:
Think it has only started leakijg since, yeah. But brakes were always terrible so I maybe just didnt notice.

Both down to what I thought was badly bled, & bad discs/pads.

Think the mc may have been duff before though.

How would I suck any out of the servo?
Thanks given by:
If there is any in there, the likes of a vacuum pump will suck it out.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best brake fluid and pads? JTaylor2005 19 4,630 19-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Pgtips
  ATE v Pagid dot 4 brake fluid 306rhys 1 1,554 28-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Last Post: PartyJas
  Brake fluid circulation hennus 5 1,470 12-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Niall