More problems... Recurring tps closed circuit fault even though I've fitted new tps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More problems... Recurring tps closed circuit fault even though I've fitted new tps
I'm just after a few pointers really to know where to get started.
I'm going to be ripping the engine out to put the XUD in as I need to run veg. But need the hdi to run for a bit.

Wouldn't start this morning first time, primed it a few times and then it struggled to life.
Hot start is a bit slow as well.

At low speed, light throttle it has a lot of hesitation and keeps backing off the boost.
A lot of smoke full boost.
I've put the smoke down to a boost leak. It looked a bit oily around the normal problem joint.

There's also a lot of oil around the injectors when I took the cover off.

Got a diagnostic machine coming to read the codes, just thinking ahead on bits to get.

Already ordered, air /fuel/oil filter to give it a service and I'm going to Unplug the map sensor to see what it does
Thanks given by:
Does it cut under load? Sounds like the lift pump is on its way out tbh.

It cant back off the boost, its manual controlled on 306 HDis, so that won't change. Does sound like you've got a massive boost leak though.

Probably a typo but just fyi, its the MAF you're unplugging, no MAP on them.

Diagnostics will be the best idea...but if its just a cheap reader you'll probably just get the usual P0230 code.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't cut out under load no. Just hesitates then brings the brings the power back on then hesitates...
Thanks given by:
Hmm, not likely to be lift pump then.

Wouldn't think it's HP pump if it can make the pressure but seems to just chose not to. So more likely to be a sensor/regulator fault I reckon. Check Poodles HDi problem thread (link in his sig) will be useful for that.
Thanks given by:
I don't remember seeing solutions posted for an issue like this and it's not one i've come across myself.

I would expect the problem to be fuel or sensor-related, tps and injectors in particular, but don't really know tbh. As Tom says, might be something useful in that lot. VVV
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just run the diagnostic machine on it and it's bought up
P0380 glow plug circuit a - guess that's the coolant heater
P0220 TPS sensor

It didn't start first time either, so I think the lift pump/relay is f*cked
Thanks given by:
When you say it didn't start, did it prime or not? If it did, you can rule out the relay/pump tbh.

Hesitation could be down to the TPS fault.

Not sure about the glowplug issue, a lot bring up the coolant heater fault on PP but I cant remember it being an OBD code, so yours could be the engine plugs, which would make cold starting a bit harder, not much though, they'll still start without plugs.
Thanks given by:
Not sure it's of help Paul, but I've got PP2000 if you can get over.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Ok mate thanks for the offer. I'll ever how I get on this weekend.
Going scrap yard Saturday to see if I can get you some PAS pipes
Thanks given by:
Is it diesel around the injectors? If it is that'll cause starting issues, try nipping up the unions.
Thanks given by:
I've looked with the engine running there's no sign of leakage from any where.

My guess it's had some engine work done and they've cracked off the injectors to bleed the system

Or someone's very very clumsily topped the oil up
Thanks given by:
Cracked off injectors with a CR system? Hmm... Confused

I've had plenty of leaky injectors without any cold start issues though. lol

Have you tried changing the TPS yet? Any better?
Thanks given by:
Should update this really.

The fuel/air filter were black and blocked.

I've replaced the TPS also and all problems have been resolved.

Smoke at full chat had disappeared.

Starts a lot easier also
Thanks given by:
I put JP's stage 1+ map on yesterday, took it for a drive and the tired lift pump shat itself and wouldn't start again. After a few whacks on the lift pump it started.

I put the diagnostic machine on and it came up with primary fuel system (lift pump) and tps

Got back to mine, changed the lift pump. All was well, accelerated as it should.

Turned it off at the garage and the engine ran on for a couple of seconds before switching off.

Got back in to go, accelerate and it won't go above 2k.

Showing up as lift pump and tps again.

I cleared the faults last night so these are fresh ones.

I'll replace tps when I get back but what's the chance I've just ruined a working lift pump?

Time is nearing to stick the xud in
Thanks given by:
If it's running on, I wonder if the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is dirty/failing.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Joy! Sad
Thanks given by:
Hurry up and get the XUD in already, we all know they're the pinacle of reliability. Itwasntme

Does appear that you've bought a bit of a lemon though. Sad
Thanks given by:
I thought primary circuit was the high pressure side, p0230 fault code, right?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'll check the codes when I get back

But yes definitely lemon.
Thanks given by:
P0510 closed throttle position switch
P0230 Fuel pump primary circuit
Thanks given by:
Yeah that code can mean anything on the fuel system i'm afraid, fpr is a good shout though, fits all the symptoms.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I cleaned and put the tps back together but it's still throwing up the fault code for the tps.

It's come out of limp mode now and hasn't gone back into it.

The fuel system fault hasn't come back up
Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed the fuel code stays gone this time. Guess it's time to try a new tps then?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Got one on the way
Thanks given by:
If the engine ran on then there is 100% a problem with the fuel pressure regulator.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks for that
Thanks given by:
I've fitted a brand new tps and it's still coming up with P0510 closed throttle position switch.

What's this earth mod that people talk about?
Thanks given by:
Was it a genuine sensor you fitted..? Nospeak

The earth mod is just splitting the earth points for the maf and tps, apparently one can cause a bit of feedback which affects the reading of the other.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looks oe. It's from neat autos, had loads of stuff from them before no problem.

It's throwing up the same code on all the ones I plug in straight away. I think something else is at fault.

It ran on when I got to work, hopefully it's not gone into limp mode.

It shall now be known as "project lemon"
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your having as much luck as me with these hdi engines. Hope you sort it soon Wink
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi Starting Issues (lift pump power circuit) mcglynn 41 5,659 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo