Service. Help a Noob out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service. Help a Noob out
Tried to save some pennies by doing a service on my gti6 myself. How do you get the oil filter out? Where is the air filter? What are the best sparks to use? Should I use d4 brake fluid. The car is standard and for road use

Thanks guys
Thanks given by:
Spin oil filter anticlockwise. Easier from underneath I believe
Air filter is enclosed in the black cylinder accessed from below.
Use the spark plugs reccomended by Pug...think they are single electrode bosch or denso plugs...sure someone will clarify.
Dot4 be fine.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The standard plugs are ngk Twin electrode ones (BKR6EK) you'll want a 16mm deep socket too

Oil filter as said is easier from underneath but still a bit tight

Dot 4 brake fluid will be fine in a road car
Thanks given by:
Ah thanks rockers. Sorry I was obviously thinking tu smaller engines re plugsz
That NGK number rang a bell but for some reason I thought bosch was standard!? Confused

Best have a proper spark plug socket mind...dont wana bust the ceramic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This is the best oil filter removal tool I have used on a gti-6 engine, it is easy to get on and grips very tightly, and is very easy to tighten and slacken off and won't cause damage etc. Space is a bit limited for getting your hands in there and the other types of tool have just been a pain in my experience.
Link to tool

The NGK spark plugs mentioned will be great. Don't bother with irridium super depleted uranium nuclear fission plugs as the only performance enhancement they yield is a weight saving from lightening your wallet.

This is the recommended oil:
Link to oil

However any good quality 5w-40 should be fine.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Same filter tool I use now Retro, ideal for 306s where the access is tight, especially with air con!
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads. Gunna crack on now. I purchased only single spark plugs. Will these not be suitable at all?

Also where is the sump plug and fuel filter?
Thanks given by:
If they fit your engine , they'll work, just not as well as the proper ones.

The sump plug is umm....at the bottom of the sump, where else would it be? Big Grin

Fuel filter is under the rear of the car, next to the fuel tank, roughly under the rear drivers side door.
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2014, 05:38 PM)steg Wrote: Tried to save some pennies by doing a service on my gti6 myself. How do you get the oil filter out? Where is the air filter? What are the best sparks to use? Should I use d4 brake fluid. The car is standard and for road use

Thanks guys

Oil filter is anticlockwise to remove. If you don't have a proper removal tool use pipe grips or mole grips or similar if not jab a screwdriver all the way through to start it turning. The new one only needs to be done up hand tight.

The air filter is right at the front passenger side of the engine bay in a big black canister that is accessed from underneath.

Spark plugs I'd use something decent, the twin electrode ones are standard and I am using bosch super 4 plugs (4 electrode) you can use single electrode plugs but the GTi6 is funny about cheap electrical parts sometimes.

Dot 4 brake fluid is perfectly fine and new stuff will be 100x better than the stuff that is in there and could well be original.
Thanks given by:
^^^^like repeating what everyone else said!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah but everyone else did it
Thanks given by:
Nice one lads. All done except for the oil change and filter. Will try it next weekend but it looks like a bugger to get to
Thanks given by:
Sometimes its easier to undo from one angle and remove from another ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2014, 11:16 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Same filter tool I use now Retro, ideal for 306s where the access is tight, especially with air con!

Yeah I love it, makes changing it from underneath a 2 minute job!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Does each headlight contain two h7 lamps and fogs contain h1s? What is the best kelvin colour to have the lamps have a yellow tint?
Thanks given by:
Do NOT buy these stupid 4 electrode plugs. Its a complete myth you can upgrade plugs. It doesn't make any difference and in a lot of situations, makes things worse. The only reason you want to run different plugs is if you have changed your engine set up. Like I'm running Aston Martin plugs in mine Big Grin
Just buy standard NGK plugs and it will be at its happiest.
Oil filter from pug at about £8. Don't get a cheap pattern one as they don't have the non return valve in them which is pretty essential. Get a decent make or genuine.
If its a PH3 (or you have the clear lens "crystal" headlights, its 2x H7s per side. If they are the frosted PH2 headlights, its a single H4.
Round fogs like you get on a GTi regardless of clear or frosted are H1
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'm on a ph2 bud. Cheers for the help
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2014, 09:19 PM)Niall Wrote: Like I'm running Ford Focus plugs in mine Big Grin

EFA

:p
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2014, 01:48 PM)Grant Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 09:19 PM)Niall Wrote: Like I'm running Ford Cosworth plugs in mine Big Grin

EFA

:p

EFA again Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: