FMIC choices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FMIC choices
Not the usual size/depth/whatever, but more an aesthetic one because i'm a massive tart.

Is it worth me paying extra to get a black universal intercooler, or just use some VHT black paint I have lying around to paint a silver one that's about £30 cheaper?

Discuss. before I go and spend money regardless.

PS as a side note, i'm considering getting one of those pipe beading tools that guy on eBay makes with the rollers and hand crank, they're only about £40. As a long term investment, could it be worth getting one and loaning it out to people for a nominal fee?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:Not the usual size/depth/whatever, but more an aesthetic one because i'm a massive tart.

Is it worth me paying extra to get a black universal intercooler, or just use some VHT black paint I have lying around to paint a silver one that's about £30 cheaper?

Discuss. before I go and spend money regardless.

PS as a side note, i'm considering getting one of those pipe beading tools that guy on eBay makes with the rollers and hand crank, they're only about £40. As a long term investment, could it be worth getting one and loaning it out to people for a nominal fee?

Im going to make an assumption and guess that wacking VHT over an air-air IC you're going to restrict the air cooling somewhat?

I'd recommend getting a proper black IC; the car is looking sweet and to "cut a corner" on the IC imo would be upsetting

As for the beading, im sure i saw djLOBB make a home made beading kit, for very cheap if you have the time?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Is the cost of the paint and the time spent painting it worth the 30 pound? Also will the finish be as durable and of the same quality? Im sorry i dont know the answers to these questions i wanted your opinion lol
Thanks given by:
I don't know lmao

But I don't know if the "stealth" intercoolers are just painted too, or if they are powdercoated? Black ic's are supposedly more efficient as they have greater heat sink properties than silver ones, but whether that will make a noticeable difference to performance on an XUD f*ck knows.

I have the paint and I have the time, so is the £30 saved worth it to spend on, say, the quickshift kit I just paid for?
Thanks given by:
If you do find a suitable paint, be sure to share. Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Well I have Firecote VHT paint which is radiator suitable, and a Mipa matt clear coat. Just need to find out if they're compatible for the application!
Thanks given by:
To be fair they don't look all that bad in silver, you could just stick a thin black mesh like thing over the front of it which would be less effort and less risky. But if your project standard is anything to go by then your going to be painting it regardless of what anyone says. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yep, paint ftw!

Oh well, just bought one. For anyone that's interested, coolpartsuk are selling the small FMIC's (core size 550 x 136 x 65) for £52 delivered next day at the minute, about £10 cheaper than most other places.

Now to make a stencil... ninja
Thanks given by:
For what it's worth, I don't think painting the cooler will make much difference to its cooling properties, but bear in mind there's a few big power XUDs (Ruan for example) running top mounts, so even a slightly restricted FMIC will still be easily more than enough, as long as its a decent one Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh i'm going to be quite conservative, it's a family wagon at the end of the day so 150bhp or thereabouts will be fine for me. Half decent mpg and veg capabilities ftw. A big black FMIC is just be being a tart lmao
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:Yeah tbh i'm going to be quite conservative, it's a family wagon at the end of the day so 150bhp or thereabouts will be fine for me. Half decent mpg and veg capabilities ftw. A big black FMIC is just be being a tart lmao

as i -4* camber, colour'd trims etc... ninja

keep up the good work on it mate, the tarty'ness will pay off! Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:... Black ic's are supposedly more efficient as they have greater heat sink properties than silver ones...

FYI this is bs to the best of my knowledge - paint is more insulating than ally, therefore will harm cooling properties, full stop.

Regarding tartness, did somebody say anodised black? ninja Black chrome would look pretty sweet too...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Essentially yeah, makes no fecking difference, technically paint could possibly make it worse, but we're talking feck all here... Just only drive it on cold days - problem solved?

Make pipe beaders out of a set of molies with an exhaust clamp... As long as you only use ally pipe you'll be fine, you CANNOT do stainless pipe with them, you'll destroy it in seconds...

Anodised purple/blue intercooler FTMFW. If you do it, I'll love you forever.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan that would in no way tie in with the rest of the car!

Could always retrim the WHOLE car in blue stuff just for the sake of you loving me?
Thanks given by:
Red anodized............... Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
So....?

:p
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo/intercooler/exhaust set up choices decisions? Tom 10 2,119 27-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Air Filter Choices. silverzx 12 2,622 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ginge191