Lucas and t2 tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas and t2 tuning
Another way of upping boost and basically taking the wastegate out of it is to take the pipe that goes from the compressor housing to the actuator of the turbocharger off, stick a bolt on it with a jubilee clip round it. Usually these old actuators makes you lose a PSI or two... See if there's any increase. I did this with my TD04 and got 4 psi from nowhere...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2014, 09:06 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: Another way of upping boost and basically taking the wastegate out of it is to take the pipe that goes from the compressor housing to the actuator of the turbocharger off, stick a bolt on it with a jubilee clip round it. Usually these old actuators makes you lose a PSI or two... See if there's any increase. I did this with my TD04 and got 4 psi from nowhere...

I'll give that a shot stops wastegate creep I suppose ?

Okay so I just took the motor out for a spin went down a dual carriage way and a bit of town driving as a good test

The smoke I saw yesterday must of been in peoples headlights as the only way I could get it to smoke was to matt my foot to the floor before the turbo spooled up uphill and that was black

Was a bit of greyish smoke until the car warmed up but that went away

So I think I'm in need of more fuel
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 09:12 AM)andyyy Wrote:
(19-09-2014, 09:06 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: Another way of upping boost and basically taking the wastegate out of it is to take the pipe that goes from the compressor housing to the actuator of the turbocharger off, stick a bolt on it with a jubilee clip round it. Usually these old actuators makes you lose a PSI or two... See if there's any increase. I did this with my TD04 and got 4 psi from nowhere...

Okay so I just took the motor out for a spin went down a dual carriage way and a bit of town driving as a good test

The smoke I saw yesterday must of been in peoples headlights as the only way I could get it to smoke was to matt my foot to the floor before the turbo spooled up uphill and that was black

It can do yeah! What are you boosting? Haze/Clean coming onto boost/on boost means it's burning properly. But with the wastegate allowed to boost what it wants you can turn the fuelling to whatever you want and the turbo will boost-to-suit. Lucas aren't bad pumps, tbf i ran my TD04 using a Lucas pump and it went rather well. Had 20 psi from 3,000 rpm to 4,800 rpm.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 09:50 AM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 09:12 AM)andyyy Wrote:

It can do yeah! What are you boosting? Haze/Clean coming onto boost/on boost means it's burning properly. But with the wastegate allowed to boost what it wants you can turn the fuelling to whatever you want and the turbo will boost-to-suit. Lucas aren't bad pumps, tbf i ran my TD04 using a Lucas pump and it went rather well. Had 20 psi from 3,000 rpm to 4,800 rpm.

currently 1 bar (14psi) but thats on a gauge i dont trust very much as its just a random pressure gauge that was literally being kicked around the workshop floor

iv found another gauge off a compressor so that should be more accurate

ill the pipe off, block it and report back

in the meanwhile anyone know if i up the fuel some more will the pump shut off or should i just suck it and see
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
Alright so iv blocked off the pipe and I'm now seeing more than 1 bar don't know how much more because the needle on the gauge just wobles all over the place over 1 bar but seems to hang around 1.2 bar so that's about 17 psi so I'm noe going to try and up the fuel at some point and hopefully I'll get to 20psi
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 04:35 PM)andyyy Wrote: Alright so iv blocked off the pipe and I'm now seeing more than 1 bar don't know how much more because the needle on the gauge just wobles all over the place over 1 bar but seems to hang around 1.2 bar so that's about 17 psi so I'm noe going to try and up the fuel at some point and hopefully I'll get to 20psi

Some progress! Have you tried winding it all the way in already? All the way to max mate?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 06:59 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 04:35 PM)andyyy Wrote: Alright so iv blocked off the pipe and I'm now seeing more than 1 bar don't know how much more because the needle on the gauge just wobles all over the place over 1 bar but seems to hang around 1.2 bar so that's about 17 psi so I'm noe going to try and up the fuel at some point and hopefully I'll get to 20psi

Some progress! Have you tried winding it all the way in already? All the way to max mate?

I guess your talking about the fuel

no I haven't but if I go 45 degrees more the pump will shut off

so I assume any more than that and it will still be shut off ?

May try a extra 20 degrees when I get a chance
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 07:30 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 06:59 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:

Like i said mate, i wound mine until it wouldn't go no more and it was fine. I guess it's just luck if it will do it or not. Can't lose just trying? Again, mine took about 1 1/2 turn from stock until it was at full max. I hit 24 psi on my old K14 and it went like stink! Gotta risk it for the biscuit mate!

If you do wind it to max and it doesn't start, literally just knock it anti-clockwise a tad! It will help too if you remove the max rev screw (the screw the throttle arm hits when you're at full throttle) these help the engine to rev past 4,500 to 4,750 without the governor cutting the fuel.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 07:37 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:30 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 06:59 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: Some progress! Have you tried winding it all the way in already? All the way to max mate?

Like i said mate, i wound mine until it wouldn't go no more and it was fine. I guess it's just luck if it will do it or not. Can't lose just trying? Again, mine took about 1 1/2 turn from stock until it was at full max. I hit 24 psi on my old K14 and it went like stink! Gotta risk it for the biscuit mate!

If you do wind it to max and it doesn't start, literally just knock it anti-clockwise a tad! It will help too if you remove the max rev screw (the screw the throttle arm hits when you're at full throttle) these help the engine to rev past 4,500 to 4,750 without the governor cutting the fuel.

Ill wind it in max and just remember how much I did so I can go back

Max revs screw is just wound all the way out so the throttle arm can't hit it but I left it in so as a spring can't pop off

Is there anyway to adjust the governor like on a Bosch so there's no limit ?
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 07:56 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:37 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:30 PM)andyyy Wrote: I guess your talking about the fuel

Max revs screw is just wound all the way out so the throttle arm can't hit it but I left it in so as a spring can't pop off

It might also be worth seeing if you can tension the throttle cable using the clip against the rubber bush. If you can pull it through a notch or two before it begins to up the idle. Gives you better throttle response and a little bit more travel on the throttle lever. The governor set up in a Lucas is controlled by the max fuel/throttle screw if i believe. I may be wrong on that but it's been a while since i looked into Lucas pumps. But by winding the max fuel and removing or winding out the max rev screw the pump seemed to rev a bit more freely for a bit more longer so i'd say it's almost like a governor mod.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 08:02 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:56 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:37 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: Like i said mate, i wound mine until it wouldn't go no more and it was fine. I guess it's just luck if it will do it or not. Can't lose just trying? Again, mine took about 1 1/2 turn from stock until it was at full max. I hit 24 psi on my old K14 and it went like stink! Gotta risk it for the biscuit mate!

It might also be worth seeing if you can tension the throttle cable using the clip against the rubber bush. If you can pull it through a notch or two before it begins to up the idle. Gives you better throttle response and a little bit more travel on the throttle lever. The governor set up in a Lucas is controlled by the max fuel/throttle screw if i believe. I may be wrong on that but it's been a while since i looked into Lucas pumps. But by winding the max fuel and removing or winding out the max rev screw the pump seemed to rev a bit more freely for a bit more longer so i'd say it's almost like a governor mod.

Already tension the throttle cable like the first thing I did after getting the car

So there's no internal governor that can be modified ? Not that I can really be bothered to strip a Lucas down just out of interest really

Seems like I now just gotta turn the Max fuel up as much as possible then iv reached the limit
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 09:39 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 08:02 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 07:56 PM)andyyy Wrote: Ill wind it in max and just remember how much I did so I can go back

Already tension the throttle cable like the first thing I did after getting the car

So there's no internal governor that can be modified ? Not that I can really be bothered to strip a Lucas down just out of interest really

Seems like I now just gotta turn the Max fuel up as much as possible then iv reached the limit

There is some form of internal governing system that a member or two on here have modified but i'm not sure how or to what extent they worked. But getting a Lucas revving to 5k on boost isn't bad in itself so i never looked too much into tuning the nackers off them. That's pretty much it tbh mate. They don't have much to offer, but they have more than you expect.

Get a Bosch asap though. Their tuning capabilities are so much better. You probably know all of this anyway! A Bosch with LDA/Gov mod with take a T2 to 5-5.5k. Some people on here have ran pretty good power using stock turbochargers but it's not long before you want more...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Or it goes bang Big Grin

[Image: IMG_20140722_210306_zpszqihowcr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2014, 10:13 PM)ADV_93 Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 09:39 PM)andyyy Wrote:
(20-09-2014, 08:02 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: It might also be worth seeing if you can tension the throttle cable using the clip against the rubber bush. If you can pull it through a notch or two before it begins to up the idle. Gives you better throttle response and a little bit more travel on the throttle lever. The governor set up in a Lucas is controlled by the max fuel/throttle screw if i believe. I may be wrong on that but it's been a while since i looked into Lucas pumps. But by winding the max fuel and removing or winding out the max rev screw the pump seemed to rev a bit more freely for a bit more longer so i'd say it's almost like a governor mod.

There is some form of internal governing system that a member or two on here have modified but i'm not sure how or to what extent they worked. But getting a Lucas revving to 5k on boost isn't bad in itself so i never looked too much into tuning the nackers off them. That's pretty much it tbh mate. They don't have much to offer, but they have more than you expect.

Get a Bosch asap though. Their tuning capabilities are so much better. You probably know all of this anyway! A Bosch with LDA/Gov mod with take a T2 to 5-5.5k. Some people on here have ran pretty good power using stock turbochargers but it's not long before you want more...

Just want to max out what iv got tbh so will be staying Lucas cars not worth spending anything on I got it for the price of a Bosch

(21-09-2014, 07:12 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Or it goes bang Big Grin

[Image: IMG_20140722_210306_zpszqihowcr.jpg]

Eventually its enivitable that this will happen to it
Thanks given by:
In that case, just max the fuel pump if you can. You can get 120-130 bhp out of a Lucas.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
;P ha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JP's Lucas tuning guide blinkyeatu 6 2,182 29-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Away to loose my Tuning virginity any extra tips?**lucas** D Turbo Lyle 27 5,013 23-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Lucas tuning... laurence_13 25 4,090 23-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard