Ecosse Opcon supercharger kit value?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ecosse Opcon supercharger kit value?
Tongue 
Looking to sell this Ecosse opcon supercharger set up as not going to get round to using it and so needs moving onto some one who will. Believe that this is the original kit fitted to Ecosse estate 306 gti6 show car.

So what's it worth?

I originally purchased it fitted to a car so no idea. Thanks in advance.

[Image: imagejpg1_zps53c5ddb4.jpg]

[Image: imagejpg2_zpsb1566cd4.jpg]

[Image: imagejpg3_zps2a371882.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im happy for you to gauge a price for this but just remember you are not allowed to sell on here till you have reached 100 posts Smile

I don't know much about the Opcon setup. I read briefly about them when charging my car and come to the conclusion that for me they were the worst of the bunch. Lots of heat (more than a Eaton!) and weird power delivery but that was on other engines. I never saw a review of one on a 6 engine so may be different there!

Id say assuming its all working and in good nick, you would be looking at about £1250ish
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I think alot of people distrust escosse stuff believing it to be overpriced tat and as its an old kit I'd bet it's not mapped to make anywhere near as much power as the more contemporary kits.

Also where's the rad and piping for that charge cooler?

I doubt it's even worth a grand and I certainly wouldn't want it for my car.
Thanks given by:
£1250!?!?!

Flipping ek
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2014, 11:59 AM)Piggy Wrote: £1250!?!?!

Flipping ek

Thanks Niall appreciate that so will probably put it for sale on the GTI6 forum.

Thanks Dum-dum for the endorsement, that's a real help in me getting an idea of its valueHuh, there is a small radiator within the alloy tank which is connected to the supercharger.
Thanks given by:
Thats the chargecooler.

Needs a seperate radiator to work
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is this not a twin-screw setup?

I always thought they were more efficient than the Eaton equivalent roots blower? I know they were certainly an upgrade on the supercharged Jaguars.

They would make 430hp on a Eaton M112, and then up to 600hp on a twin-screw setup....

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2014, 01:23 PM)jammapic Wrote: Is this not a twin-screw setup?

I always thought they were more efficient than the Eaton equivalent roots blower? I know they were certainly an upgrade on the supercharged Jaguars.

They would make 430hp on a Eaton M112, and then up to 600hp on a twin-screw setup....

JP

Yep twin screw, apparently they give 'better' torque levels than the centrifugal Supercharges like the Rotrex set up.
Thanks given by:
Quieter than a rootes type charger too. Not comparable with a rotrex at all as they're arguably not even a supercharger Tongue

I think to the right person it's worth £1000, I think most folk (with money to throw at £500 gti6s) will rather spend a bit more and go the tried and tested lynx route mind.

I know Ecosse did the conversion but it looks poorer quality than a lot of home brew conversions.
Thanks given by:
Getting better torque than a Rotrex is not difficult Wink
Was it actually a bought kit like that? The charge cooler and manifold look home made.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
They just did them as 'drive in, drive out' conversions as far as I know. I'm guessing they only did a handful on the 306 and similar on mi16s.
Thanks given by:
Dave Roberts got them from ecosse new I think had as saw it when carl fitted it,then he sold it to you ?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
That looks like a really homebrew supercharger setup. Nialls looks better than that and he isnt a company. he is one man with a welder and a mate with a shed!
Thanks given by:
I think the problem is going to be that you are missing the rad for the charge cooler and the piping and the wiring for the water pump for the charge cooler. Does the water pump even work? I guess if you were running the set up without the water system then the pump is either rusted or shagged from being run dry. You can see in your pics that you dont have water pipes connected to the charge cooler outlets.
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2014, 02:38 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I think the problem is going to be that you are missing the rad for the charge cooler and the piping and the wiring for the water pump for the charge cooler. Does the water pump even work? I guess if you were running the set up without the water system then the pump is either rusted or shagged from being run dry. You can see in your pics that you dont have water pipes connected to the charge cooler outlets.

Right trying to get my head round this, so when I got the car this was fitted to every thing was working fine and don't remember that there was any additional chargecooler radiator fitted to the car but might be wrong.

I have tested the water pump and it works.

There is a small radiator located within the alloy tank which is the charge cooler ( is that correct?) which has a separate sealed route through it. Basically it looks like you fill this separate system with coolant after connecting the water pump with two lengths of 12mm rubber hose (one not present but easily replaceable) which then circulates the coolant through the radiator with in the alloy tank to cool the air before it gets to the supercharger. The inlet is located at the side next to the black cap with blue tap on it and the outlet is underneath the tank and can not be seen in the pictures. Are you saying that water or coolant in this system should also circulate through additional radiator like a oil cooler then? If so how big does it need to be, surely not that big so something like a 16 row oil cooler size?

There are also two other small nipples (for want of a better word!) that are located side by side on the front of the alloy tank. These have been plugged by a couple of bolts but they only go through into the air chamber and not the water circuit. They look way too small to have had been used for anything requiring any significant amount of flow, so don't know what they would have been used for, anyone know?
Thanks given by:
Where do you think the water pump would pump the water??!!!
Yes, it needs a seperate radiator!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ill give you £400 haha
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2014, 06:21 PM)j_carter Wrote: ill give you £400 haha

Thanks j_cater for the offer but would rather keep it as a door stop than accept that.SmileSmile

(15-09-2014, 05:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Where do you think the water pump would pump the water??!!!
Yes, it needs a seperate radiator!

Ahhh now it makes sense Piggy, thanks for that and apologies if my mechanical ignorance has cause you any offence! Tongue

So now I know that, does the charge cooler need a separate radiator due to conductive heat in the engine bay?

I guess it may have had one fitted to the original car then, so will have to search the lock up to see if I can find it.
Thanks given by:
haha, worth a go.
Thanks given by:
Well all the water in the chargecooler would do is keep heating up...then retain the heat...chargerheater!!

You need to take the heat away somehow!! It would be like plumbing in a intercooler (cooled by moving air) and wrapping it in a blanket
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Have found the charge cooler radiator and tested for leaks and all good. The brand is Pace Product.

[Image: imagejpg1_zpsfce96200.jpg]

[Image: imagejpg2_zps3521b6c8.jpg]

[Image: imagejpg3_zps0a9c8e92.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2014, 06:59 PM)Thomo6 Wrote: Ahhh now it makes sense Piggy, thanks for that and apologies if my mechanical ignorance has cause you any offence! Tongue
And there in lies the problem mate. Neither me nor Piggy have a problem with you and its interesting to see something a little different turn up. Having us ask questions leading to you finding the pace charge cooler rad has probably added a reasonable bit to the value of the kit.

However I coudn't buy something so delicate as a supercharger kit for my car off someone who has little to know idea of how it works and would run it missing bits. My brain works in the "well if he didn't notice the missing charge cooler with those big old 12mm outlets right at the front of the bay what else wouldn't / hasn't he noticed"
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 05:59 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(15-09-2014, 06:59 PM)Thomo6 Wrote: Ahhh now it makes sense Piggy, thanks for that and apologies if my mechanical ignorance has cause you any offence! Tongue
And there in lies the problem mate. Neither me nor Piggy have a problem with you and its interesting to see something a little different turn up. Having us ask questions leading to you finding the pace charge cooler rad has probably added a reasonable bit to the value of the kit.

However I coudn't buy something so delicate as a supercharger kit for my car off someone who has little to know idea of how it works and would run it missing bits. My brain works in the "well if he didn't notice the missing charge cooler with those big old 12mm outlets right at the front of the bay what else wouldn't / hasn't he noticed"

But Dum-Dum you have got it all wrong, the kits not for sale on here as Niall has pointed out previously I don't have enough posts, just for valuation, so wouldn't sell it you even if you wanted it.
Thanks given by:
Obviously I meant if I saw it on ebay or a different peugeot forum where you are allowed to sell Wink
Thanks given by:
ooooo i better list my old m45 setup then Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gti6 with eaton supercharger CHRISWB 17 3,523 27-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Supercharger stall? Niall 6 1,489 06-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Grant