towbar electrics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
towbar electrics
how do people have the electrics fora tow bar wired into the car?

picked up a cheap 306 and its wired into the rear lights...but doesnt work, gonna have a go at re doing it tomorrow but wondered if there was another way to go about it
Thanks given by:
Nope, that's the only way to do it. There's no plug and play wiring adapter for the 306 either. It'll be scotch-locked in I assume, so one of them is probably loose.
Thanks given by:
Its literally just spliced and taped lol, im not surprised it doesnt work.

atm only the right hand side indicator and brake light come on when the brake pedal is pressed. shall get a diagram for tomorrow and see if i can sort it
Thanks given by:
Oh right, sounds like a professional job then. lol

It might be soldered under the tape though?
Thanks given by:
theres fair length of cable coming off the socket. tempted to cut the cable and just use connector blocks to wire it back in
Thanks given by:
all done, took less than an hour, most of the time was pulling the old cables out. Wired everything to the drivers side (as its a phase 1 an theres 2 wiring harness' there) easier and not as confusing as i thought
Thanks given by:
When I fitted a towbar, I used a bypass relay box.

It helps to stop the lights dimming by getting power from the battery.

There was already a single wire on the right side from factory, that provides the power.

Something like this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...69&alt=web

Not sure what the requirements are exactly for MOT but I think a bypass relay is needed, or maybe this is for newer cars only?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damaged electrics, possibly relay?? windrushelectrical 0 1,188 08-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: windrushelectrical
  last "whats this for" on electrics pug306driver 3 1,556 18-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Test Rig for Tow Bar Electrics insomaniac45 24 5,897 07-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam