What temp should my cooling fans kick in at?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What temp should my cooling fans kick in at?
As above, my car went up to 95 degrees+ on the guage sitting in traffic at 22 degrees the other day after about 10 mins, didnt hear the fans kick in
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 05:14 PM)MY95 Wrote: As above, my car went up to 95 degrees+ on the guage sitting in traffic at 22 degrees the other day after about 10 mins, didnt hear the fans kick in

Mine kicks in about 98 but they a quite so you dont really hear them if you wana cool your engine down quick put the heaters on full will cool down in a few minutes
Thanks given by:
The first should kick in at slow speed at 93 iirc, then the second at 103 or 98 or something like that.

Have you got aircon? Easy way to tell if they're working is to bridge pins 1 & 3 on the plug up on the drivers wing (can't remember what it plugs into, aircon was sacked off years ago lol ), then turn the aircon on, should set the fans going.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 05:21 PM)shaunturner306 Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 05:14 PM)MY95 Wrote: As above, my car went up to 95 degrees+ on the guage sitting in traffic at 22 degrees the other day after about 10 mins, didnt hear the fans kick in

Mine kicks in about 98 but they a quite so you dont really hear them if you wana cool your engine down quick put the heaters on full will cool down in a few minutes

Oh right, cheers for the info

(01-07-2014, 05:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: The first should kick in at slow speed at 93 iirc, then the second at 103 or 98 or something like that.

Have you got aircon? Easy way to tell if they're working is to bridge pins 1 & 3 on the plug up on the drivers wing (can't remember what it plugs into, aircon was sacked off years ago lol ), then turn the aircon on, should set the fans going.

Oh right, thanks again!
I have aircon yes but it doesnt work... Like most 306s haha
Thanks given by:
Standard lol. May as well bridge that plug and leave it as a manual fan switch then! lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 05:27 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 05:21 PM)shaunturner306 Wrote:

Oh right, cheers for the info

(01-07-2014, 05:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: The first should kick in at slow speed at 93 iirc, then the second at 103 or 98 or something like that.

Oh right, thanks again!
I have aircon yes but it doesnt work... Like most 306s haha

My aircon doe work either lol is that a common problem
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 05:33 PM)Poodle Wrote: Standard lol. May as well bridge that plug and leave it as a manual fan switch then! lol

Haha yeah, I would if I knew how to do that haha, going to take the aircon compressor out as well as the fans if they dont work at all
Thanks given by:
Exactly as i described a couple of posts up. Wink

(01-07-2014, 05:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: Have you got aircon? Easy way to tell if they're working is to bridge pins 1 & 3 on the plug up on the drivers wing (can't remember what it plugs into, aircon was sacked off years ago lol ), then turn the aircon on, should set the fans going.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
To test the fans unplug the temp sensor on the side of the block.

If you do the 1&3 pin job on the plug that goes to the ac pressure sensor then make sure you unplug the compressor or you'll break the compressor as there will be no oil going though it. That mine seize the compressor, break your aux belt and that could take your cam belt out.

I found both my fans didn't work, fixed them and fixed the ac now.
Thanks given by:
Mine usually kick in about 98
Thanks given by:
You often wont hear the low speed fan come on...high speed is normally louder
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
high speed should be at 103º
Thanks given by:
I'm having a problem with my fans as well. The aircon works (seems to be a rare thing) and the fans come on with the a/c but don't work when the temp rises.
Would this suggest the motor is ok and it's the relay(s) that need changing?
Thanks given by:
How high did the temp go? If it didnt pass 100 then you probably wouldn't have heard thrm come on.

But yeah, if they come on with the ac but not at high temperature then the fan motor itself is most likely fine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's reached 100 when in traffic in the summer iirc (over halfway anyway) and easily climbs to 90 in standstill now. When driving it never reaches over 80 with the air getting to the radiator
I'll try changing the control relay and see if that makes a difference
Thanks given by:
Might be worth having an ask/search in the electrical section, they'd have a better idea.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooling fans not cutting in Bosch 3 863 28-09-2015, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,408 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Diagnosing faulty cooling fans/relays/STOP light tigerstyle 15 3,380 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle