Aftermarket steering wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aftermarket steering wheel
If anyone can give me their opinions on this, and possibly send some photos of theirs in the car.

My only concern is being quite tall and not wanting one all in my face, and I want a smaller steering wheel than the standard '6 one.

Photos and advice would be much appreciated Heart
Thanks given by:
the wheel boss should put a flat wheel in the same position as standard. then with a smaller diameter wheel it will give you more room.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeh you need the boss and a flat wheel.
Thanks given by:
Or a 205 steering wheel straight fit and smaller
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Tbh I have a omp deep dish steering wheel, im a big lad but I like the position a lot more than standard.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im using a omp deep dish. Which allows me to strech my legs out and still be able to reach the steering wheel.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I'm not a fan of the deep dish aftermarket wheels so am going to install a reach adjustable wheel. If I'm close enough to be comfortable for my arms at the moment, it's too close for my legs Sad
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I loved my OMP WRC, it was a good all rounder with less dish than a Corsica:

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=2604]
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt have thought you'd have any trouble reaching the steering wheel niall??

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Never noticed how feminine his fingers are :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I'm 6'6 and I like having the steering wheel up close still - the problem lies with the seat rails, the position is set up for ~5'8 people where the steering wheel is fairly close and they're a good distance from the pedals... For tall people you need the extra length on the seat rails, but need to compensate with the wheel being closer.

Way I've always figured is right, you should be able to sit upright in your seat, place your wrists on the steering wheel and your arms be not *quite* straight, but near enough. That way when your hands are on the wheel properly, you have a bend in your elbows, you can't drive a car with your arms absolutely straight - just doesn't work.

I used to have an OMP Corsica with slightly extended boss - perfect for me I found - once I had a set of buckets on extended rails it was near perfect - only problem was you had to lift your hands from the wheel to get to the indicators - but never really bothered me, if I really stretched my fingers I could reach the tip (lol, that's what she said) of the stalk.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2014, 04:59 PM)Ruan Wrote: I'm 6'6 and I like having the steering wheel up close still - the problem lies with the seat rails, the position is set up for ~5'8 people where the steering wheel is fairly close and they're a good distance from the pedals... For tall people you need the extra length on the seat rails, but need to compensate with the wheel being closer.

Way I've always figured is right, you should be able to sit upright in your seat, place your wrists on the steering wheel and your arms be not *quite* straight, but near enough. That way when your hands are on the wheel properly, you have a bend in your elbows, you can't drive a car with your arms absolutely straight - just doesn't work.

I used to have an OMP Corsica with slightly extended boss - perfect for me I found - once I had a set of buckets on extended rails it was near perfect - only problem was you had to lift your hands from the wheel to get to the indicators - but never really bothered me, if I really stretched my fingers I could reach the tip (lol, that's what she said) of the stalk.

Perfect! Thank you for this Smile
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2014, 04:59 PM)Ruan Wrote: I'm 6'6 and I like having the steering wheel up close still - the problem lies with the seat rails, the position is set up for ~5'8 people where the steering wheel is fairly close and they're a good distance from the pedals... For tall people you need the extra length on the seat rails, but need to compensate with the wheel being closer.

Your taller than me!? Only by an inch though but apparently it all counts....

Agreed with all of that. I think driving a 306 over 6ft is a bit of a pain. If they had fitted them with reach and rake steering wheels that would of been perfect. Hence why I'm going to fit one. Should make it the perfect position but not having to reach for the stalks.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
My last 306 had a sunroof and I found even with the seat set as low as possible my head had to go into the sunroof opening or I ended up with a crick in my neck.

Thankfully my current one is sunroof free and while my hair brushes on the roof I still have some space.

Never had an issue with the steering wheel though and I'm 6'4".
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2014, 10:10 PM)Niall Wrote: Agreed with all of that. I think driving a 306 over 6ft is a bit of a pain. If they had fitted them with reach and rake steering wheels that would of been perfect. Hence why I'm going to fit one. Should make it the perfect position but not having to reach for the stalks.

Hi Niall

What's your plan for fitting a reach adjustable wheel. Something i need too - i think!
Thanks given by:
I've got an omp steering wheel I want to fit the only problem I can think of it that the airbag light with be on
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 12:51 PM)Bigyin306 Wrote: I've got an omp steering wheel I want to fit the only problem I can think of it that the airbag light with be on

Pm cully he makes a resistor for the airbag light.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 07:52 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(03-09-2014, 12:51 PM)Bigyin306 Wrote: I've got an omp steering wheel I want to fit the only problem I can think of it that the airbag light with be on

Pm cully he makes a resistor for the airbag light.

Cheers for the reply, I can't pm anyone at the mo as I'm new unless someone could ask him for me if that's allowed?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steering wheel NaughtonGAA 11 4,869 06-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Aftermarket steering wheel 328isport 3 1,647 04-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  phase 1 steering wheel removal Iaitoo 3 1,188 21-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo