Amp remote cable problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amp remote cable problem
In the process of wiring up a JBL GTO-4000 to a Pioneer mvh-160ui - When I switch the HU on, the amp powers up then almost immediately switches off.

I've tried connecting the remote cable directly to the + on the amp but again the same thing, powers on then immediately switches off.

Any thoughts on what to try next?
Thanks given by:
Have u got a good enough earth connection?
Thanks given by:
I've got the earth going through one of the rear seat bolts - Then tried another bolt hole in the front passenger foot well. - But you might be right, I'll try filing down the metal work on the rear bolt and try again..
Thanks given by:
Yeah, you want a nice shiny surface for the ground, i'd recommend attacking it with some 80 grit sandpaper to get right through to the metal. Thats what i used when i did mine anyway. Wink

Also, is the amp known to be good? Just ruling out duff hardware. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You have the remote connect to the positive on the amp? It needs to be connected to the remote connection usually inbetween power and ground
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Put all the cables in the right place. Its probably the earth as others have said. Where is your amp located? Normally we all put them in the boot so you must have it somewhere different or you must be running a massive earth if you are earthing it in the seat bolt or the passenger footwell.
Thanks given by:
When I had my amp in my volvo I earthed it through the rear seat bolt but I cleaned the metal up first so I knew I was getting a good connection
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the replies chaps!

I wanted to make sure everything was working before installing in the final position. Currently have the back seats out and I can move the amp and connections around.

Gonna have to attack the rear seat bolt with sandpaper then... shiny..then try again!

(01-09-2014, 12:48 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: You have the remote connect to the positive on the amp? It needs to be connected to the remote connection usually inbetween power and ground

Had to connected to the remote connection, but as a test I was trying to bypass and connecting the remote connection on the amp to the power which should have turned the amp on...

Which is did for a second or so before turning off Sad

Any other good places to earth the amp?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 12:48 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: You have the remote connect to the positive on the amp? It needs to be connected to the remote connection usually inbetween power and ground

Well spotted, i missed that when i skim read the post! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Connecting the remote wire to any 12vDC power source will achieve the purpose of testing the amp. It is common to wire it up as the OP has to test amps. Obviously if left that way it will flatten batteries, so once diagnosed, put it right Smile

Do you have sufficiently sized cable feeding the amp?

After the earth has been eliminated, this would be the next place to check. After that, fusing, and finally the amp itself.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Per usual I dropped off the internet..

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help with the ice problem, the seat bolts weren't grounding properly (even after attacking them with a dremel) - Ended up grounding to the body just inside where the rear lights are.

All perfect...and very happy!

:o)
Thanks given by: