Skimming brake discs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skimming brake discs
So we know of skimming the head for headgaskets but what about discs?
I've held onto my old Mintex discs as I only removed them due to a bit of warping but seeing as they still have alot of life in them it seems a waste to throw away. Someone on fb mentioned to me about having the discs skimmed which resulted in this http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/

Anyone tried it before? For smaller brakes I imagine it's just cheaper to get new discs but might be worth trying also my ebc discs too at a latter date
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Iv skimmed mine a few times, any machine shop can do it but make sure they do it correct. need to bolt them to a bit of like 150 mm bar and skim both sides with out moving it out of the lathe
Thanks given by:
Okay, how much you find it cost you? weighing up the costs of new vs skim
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
If they are warped then skimming will be removing material in certain areas meaning the disc will then be out of balance. I personally wouldn't ever consider skimming a brake disc, not when you consider the cost of good quality new ones such as Brembo
Thanks given by:
ive never heard of this.... just buy new ones.
Thanks given by:
Done it, tried it. Brakes never felt the same. Bought new. Drashed on.
Thanks given by:
We do this a lot to motorsport brake rotors as they cost a fortune to replace. A badly warped rotor needs surprisingly little material removing to true them up so the effect to balance is negligible.

For the price of most normal road discs I'd just replace them unless you can do them yourself for nowt.
Thanks given by:
I do it myself at work so it only cost's me my lunch break. unbalanced brake disk, really? how warped do you think they are?
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2014, 10:49 AM)Daniel306 Wrote: I do it myself at work so it only cost's me my lunch break. unbalanced brake disk, really? how warped do you think they are?

I wouldn't know, they aren't my discs.
Just saying i wouldn't skim a disc. Manufactures give a minimum disc thickness for a reason. For the sake of £35 just replace them.
Thanks given by:
The difference between new and minimum thickness is usually a few mm and typically you'd be skimming a fraction of a mm, so unless it's already a heavily worn disk you're unlikely to run into issues with going below minimum thickness.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Probally worth skimming discs on high end performance cars when one discs is probally around £300 a corner but for the cost , time & hassle I would just replace them with new ones , if there not that old Say a month etc I would take them back to the parts supplier & say there knackered should be a warranty on them
Thanks given by:
I've just paid 50 to have mine done but then they have plenty of meat on them and are over £100 a corner so was worth doing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
used to have to do it under warranty on new cars in main dealers !!! sh*t idea that is soooooooo wrong !

personally I wont, as you are re-facing something that's over-heated and buckled !! then as the pads will have worn (to the shape of the disc you wont get old pads to be perfectly on the faces of the disc) they have to be replaced as well . if you don't fit new pads the old pads will not match the shape of the freshly-skimmed disc, cause over-heated hot spots which causes brake discs to buckle again !! so the customer comes back again kicking off at you !!!

I would rather measure with a dti to confirm they are fked...............and then bin them.

fit new parts =not buckled + new pads = happy customer and no comebacks.
Thanks given by:
Personally wouldnt bother unless if was free, or unless discs cost a bomb.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake Discs JTaylor2005 40 6,055 09-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  BRAKE DISCS GETTING SUPER HOT p306hot 5 1,262 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: londondan86
  Which brake discs rocker8742 9 2,599 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: pug306driver