New engine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New engine
Hey there folks!

I'm new here, so I'm having a hard time deciding which engine to go for. I currently own a 1.9 non turbo one, which is nice but far too sluggish and slow for me, so time for a new one. Smile The suspsension, brakes, rear beam etc are all upgraded already, the car runs on s16 ones. The question is though: which would be the better, easier, more reliable swap? The 90 or the 110 hdi? I know they are pretty similar, only difference is the fmic, dmf, ecu, but putting these aside which is the better engine? I'd like an easy swap with easy wiring, a nice engine with cheap parts... And what about the wiring? Is there a difference?

Thanks in advance Smile

Best Regards,
Chris
Thanks given by:
The 90 would generally be an easier swap, the 110 comes with all sorts of complications - different management, different turbo control, dmf, etc. Underneath they're almost the same engine, i think the 110 uses a slightly stronger crank, but i've yet to see anyone damage a 90 crank at over 200bhp, so...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 06:49 AM)Poodle Wrote: The 90 would generally be an easier swap, the 110 comes with all sorts of complications - different management, different turbo control, dmf, etc. Underneath they're almost the same engine, i think the 110 uses a slightly stronger crank, but i've yet to see anyone damage a 90 crank at over 200bhp, so...

I see. Still, I would put fmic on it, but then I would have to change/modify the ecu isnt that right? Isnt it easier to use the 110 engine in the first place? They say it's easier to extract power at stage 1 levels and that's what I'm going for. My only "problem" is the wiring, that's what I hate the most Big Grin If both engine require the same amount of cables/etc... What do you think? What should I do?
Thanks given by:
If you're going to put an intercooler on you're up to stage two levels, so it's easier to use the 90 engine and then fit a mechanical boost controller.
The 110 engine isn't exactly that hard to tune, just a tad more complicated.

My advice would be to use an engine from an early 306 and then get an ECU with the immobiliser taken off to avoid any complications. This way there won't be too much wiring.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Alright, thank you Smile And another question: how reliable is such a fmic stage 2 90 engine as an everyday car? I use this car to go to work 3 times a week, maybe half an hour. Also since the cops here don't like tuned cars, is it possible to remap the ecu in a way that it will just barely or not smoke at all?
Thanks given by:
Stage 2's are actually really reliable if you service the car well and don't rant it to death constantly.
And yes, I can make the map however you want it, I try not to make them too smoky anyway and I've never heard of anybody being pulled over for being too smoky with a remap, even a bad one.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by: