Inaccurate fuel gauge.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccurate fuel gauge.
Hi everyone

I've stuck this in here as they haven't got an "idiot with a spanner" section.

I've recently replaced the fuel tank on my Rallye with a good condition second hand one. The tank was fitted and seemingly everything was hunky dory... seemingly.

As I was blasting up to a pub near me for an impromptu meet with some well known forum members completely 306 unrelated people, I ran out of fuel and my engine coughed out on approach to the pub car park. Rather embarrassingly my now silent approach was observed by my friends, who quickly saw the funny side in my misfortune as the had to push me into a car parking space in front of several bewildered looking customers! One was then so kind to take me to a garage to get a jerrycan of fuel.

Anyway, story over. It would seem I didn't do as good a job as I intended with the fuel tank swap. The fitment is sound, but looks like the guage is only accurate over quarter of a tank. Once it dropps below this its a pure guessing game (save dipping the tank)

Luckily the Rallye is track car and doesn't get driven long distances, so its not the most pressing of matters.

Anyone got any experience in similar matters? Replies much appreciated Smile
Thanks given by:
Probably a bent sender in.the tank. Did you get a sender with the second hand one? If so swap it out for your old one.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
You're looking at the temperature gauge.

Wink
Thanks given by:
Sure... I didn't bin the old fuel tank and all the bits (doh!)

My temperature guage is enough to confuse anyone too, just does its own thing sometimes!
Thanks given by:
There is a arrow/mark on the sender unit which has to be lined up with a mark on the tank. If it's not, the float is in the wrong place in the tank and gives wrong readings Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2014, 08:45 AM)Niall Wrote: There is a arrow/mark on the sender unit which has to be lined up with a mark on the tank. If it's not, the float is in the wrong place in the tank and gives wrong readings Smile

Oh thats interesting to know, ill have a play about this weekend and see what I can do. Its scary driving without a fuel guage!
Thanks given by:
I've plenty of pump units with senders if moving it doesn't sort it mate.
Bianca Rallye
1989 205 GTi6 on ITBs
BMW Z4 3.0

Thousands of GTi6 parts availabile.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel gauge randomness Piggy 14 3,642 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Fuel Gauge Not Working - Ideas? 328isport 3 1,333 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Last Post: fatlapit
Question Fuel gauge accuracy Bassman85 8 2,311 22-01-2015, 12:23 PM