Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in the game!
Hi All,

Great to be part of the community. I should explain the title - I've recently purchased my 2nd 306 and am already loving being back behind the wheel of one.

My first pug was a Phase 2 Cherry Red 1.4 LX which I inherited as my first car. It gave me three years of commutes, annual house moves and regular long-distance journeys without any fuss or trouble whatsoever. Imagine my devastation when I came home one weekend (having moved to London) and my dad had flogged it!

I'm now living in Birmingham and work arrangements forced me to pick up a run-about to commute with for the next 6 months. Being a 27 year old bloke in a central Brum postcode I wanted to keep insurance costs down as much as possible - another 306 was no brainer.

After much hunting I managed to pick myself up a 1999 HDi Meridian in Diablo Red. In absolutely lovely nick, 120k, decent service history, new MOT and under a grand. *Everything* works aside from the clock bulbs (quickly fixed) and the up/down motor of the nearside wing-mirror. Even the A/C is icy-cold - I was gobsmacked. (Will stick up some pics later).

When I went to test it, I noticed there was a very slight sag on the drivers side rear wheel. However, I could still get my hand comfortably between wheel and liner and on driving there wasn't even a hint of knock, creak or thud and certainly no play in the wheel. The new MOT didn't mention anything either, so I figured it would be OK for 6 months.

The trouble is, I keep looking at it every time I get out of the car (as you do) and am now worrying that the beam is going to give up on me. There is a hint of camber on that side, but I can't see anything else grossly abnormal (i.e. it's still attached to the car..) and the rear bushes look OK, but I don't have the kit to lift it up and have a good look around.

So.. if there is anyone in the Brum region who wouldn't mind giving a quick inspection at some point I'd be massively grateful - and it would certainly put my mind at ease for my short motorway commute from September onwards!

Again great to be part of the site.
Thanks given by: