D-Turbo drinking diesel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Turbo drinking diesel?
Hey all,
I'm new to D-turbos and bought one that has had the pump screwed (lucas pump) by the previous owner. Unfortunately, it's hard to buy one that hasn't been screwed out. The problem with the car is that I am getting about 110 miles maximum to £20 of diesel which just seems ridiculously bad. My mate said he is getting 180 miles to £10 in his D-Turbo which is also screwed out and has a Xantia Volcane turbo on it. My car doesn't smoke excessively or anything and it's certainly less smokey than my mates. Any ideas why mine drinks diesel? What is everyone else getting?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Your mates talking shit, based on our diesel prices that's about 100mpg.
Fill your tank and work it out properly then it'll be easier to work out your true mpg.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
2nd that I think someones telling porkies. 110 miles to £20 is about right

Also xantia volcane doesnt exist its a citroen xantia or a citroen zx volcane
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Your mates full of shit

110 ain't bad May improve a little when you learn to control smoke with the throttle pedal
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I thought 180 miles seemed a little wild, haha! So 110 is ok then? Would it be massively better if i screwed the pump back in? Seems like I'm never out of the petrol station!

Edit:
Also, my fuel gauge seems to fluctuate a fair bit. Are all of these cars like that or can mine just not make up its mind for whatever reason?
Thanks given by:
All of mine have had intresting fuel gauges. Fuel light on one min not the next.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's exactly what mine is like mate. My old corsa was the same, couldn't decide how much was in its tank...
Also, I just worked my MPG out to be in and around 35mpg which isn't too bad i suppose. Thanks lads!
Thanks given by:
Sure your mate didn't say 180 miles to £20?? That's 55mpg which would be about right tbh. As above, 180 miles to a tenner is 110mpg so that's unlikely. lol

As for the fuel gauges, they're all pretty poor....mines got a newish sender and still cant make up it's mind whether the red light should be on or not lol.
Thanks given by:
He definitely said £10. He never specified the colour of his diesel though... haha! Would 55mpg be right? How would I achieve this?
Thanks given by:
There is no 'right' for mpg, depends how you drive etc, but I meant it sounded reasonable. I average 52mpg in a mapped HDi atm.

35 does sound low though, but you probably do lots of short journeys and drive like an ass? Tongue
Thanks given by:
55mpg is about the best you'll ever get from an XUD in my experience, they aren't great on fuel compared to newer diesels. I used to get about 55mpg on a 400 mile motorway run, average while running around town with the odd motorway trip was about 33mpg. The same drives in the Merc get 40mpg and 23mpg.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I regularly get 120-130 miles to £20 on a standard lucas pump so your about right. Depends how you drive it.
Thanks given by:
I have mine boostin 1.5 bar and its more eco than my old hdi.

Bout 500+ miles to last tank.

Control the fuel with the accelerator better and mpg goes up.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
I'm running Lucas pump, screwed all the way and with my old K14 at 20 psi I'd get about 70-80 miles from £10 if it economically. As in, off boost everywhere, no smoke with right foot and not loading engine too much. A lot of it depends on how you drive. Thrashing it would soon drop to about 40 miles.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Meh, always got about 45-55mpg on a regular basis from mine.

Soon as I stuck a more modern turbo on, that bumped to 58mpg - saw over 60 out of it at times.

Back in the day that was 100-110 miles to a tenner - mind fuel was cheaper back then...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Used to do 100 miles to a tenner in the 1.4!! Petrol was a pound a litre at the time though. lol
Thanks given by:
I used to manage close to 60mpg on the old stg1 green turd on veg on a run.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Quick update: Managed to get an average of 43mpg out of it over a weekend. That consisted of driving like a twat for a little bit and then driving sensibly for about 100 miles. Not too bad Smile Certainly a lot better than my old VTR Tongue
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2014, 10:39 AM)AdamInNi Wrote: Quick update: Managed to get an average of 43mpg out of it over a weekend. That consisted of driving like a twat for a little bit and then driving sensibly for about 100 miles. Not too bad Smile Certainly a lot better than my old VTR Tongue

The more the car smokes, the worse the mpg, how i drive mine Smile
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Yeah that seems to be the way of it. I just keep a lookout in the rear view mirror and try to control the smoke Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 06:26 PM)AdamInNi Wrote: I thought 180 miles seemed a little wild, haha! So 110 is ok then? Would it be massively better if i screwed the pump back in? Seems like I'm never out of the petrol station!

Edit:
Also, my fuel gauge seems to fluctuate a fair bit. Are all of these cars like that or can mine just not make up its mind for whatever reason?

I should hope you NEVER go to a petrol station.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
You're a comedian, Martin Wink I'll rephrase that. "Seems like I'm never out of the fuel station"

Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nad to turbo diesel (405) unclebeast 2 941 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Last Post: toseland
  blown turbo causing diesel runaway willJspears 15 3,263 23-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Last Post: firemoth
  Diesel Turbo Thermostat Super-G 29 10,047 24-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3