Turbo conversion gti6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo conversion gti6
So has anyone ever thought about, or actually done a turbo conversion on the gti6?
Something me and my dad have thought about but not actually seen any information on it.
What would be needed other than turbo?
What power could I expect?
What turbo would be best option?
Thanks in advance.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
loads have done it.

budget and use are the first two questions.

you can have anything from a low ish boost small turbo running 250 to anything north of 600 on a proper full build.

you need manifolds, cams, ecu, injectors, oil lines, coolant lines, boost pipes, intercooler, and for a proper build pistons and rods.
Thanks given by:
Quite a few people have done it, just search youtube..

You'd need a turbo exhaust manifold and downpipe, bigger injectors depending on HP figure you want.. a remap/standalone ECU, forged internals if you're going for big power etc, etc, etc....

Turbo size depends on drive'ability and ultimate power required..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Budget would be around £1000ish.
Id only be after low boost, running stock internals.
Been looking at things to do and everyone has done supercharge and throttle bodies. So just thinking something different.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I think you will struggle to do it wih a 1k budget, considering the fact that an aftermarket ECU + remap will probably be 500-600, plus buying the turbo.
That is before you've bought or fabricated all the other bits you'll need that others have mentioned.

I've heard of someone doing it on a rock-bottom budget of a bit over 1500 on the gti6 forum if my memory serves me correctly, but he did virtually everything himself including fabricating things.

There have been a few turbo projects on the gti-6 forum that you might be able to find by searching through old project threads.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
You'll struggle with that budget.. Unless you're handy with a welder, then it'd probably be around 5-600 just for the exhaust mani...

This is why people supercharge, the driveability, power, cost etc.. is just pretty unrivalled compared to a 'cheap' turbo build
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That is nowhere near enough... You'll be amazed at how quick everything adds up.
Thanks given by:
I'm in the process now; feel free to PM me Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Like I said it was around £1000ish. I always have room to move with the budget. :-)
This wont be till next year anyway so atm im just testing the water. Ill have to venture over to gti6 and have a good read through the threads.
Stephen ill inbox you on facebook later on. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Well a the manifold holland was over a grand but I dunno if there even do them anymore.

Add all the other bits and probably a rebuild, optional obviously.

Probably do well to do it for under 2.5k with mapping added to that maybe 3k
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
To be honest the difference between £1,000 and £1,500 isn't much for something as bespoke as a turbo GTi6. Just means you have to save an extra months wages..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/shop-1/turb...tmare.html
If you're going to do it, you may aswell do it properly IMO and it won't be cheap lol
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 01:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: To be honest the difference between £1,000 and £1,500 isn't much for something as bespoke as a turbo GTi6. Just means you have to save an extra months wages..

Pfttt I wish I had 500 quid every month to spend on the car!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 04:27 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(06-08-2014, 01:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: To be honest the difference between £1,000 and £1,500 isn't much for something as bespoke as a turbo GTi6. Just means you have to save an extra months wages..

Pfttt I wish I had 500 quid every month to spend on the car!!

How about I drop off the ph1 DT with you, give you £500 a month, all my parts and we see what comes of it? Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
God help your xud!!!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I looked seriously at doing it, added the cost of all the bits up and thought nah, sod it.

IF you've got the cash to do it, and do it right, go for it.... definitely different and I'm sure it would go well!!!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 05:02 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: God help your xud!!!

Oi - what's that supposed to mean Mr!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
you wont get anywhere near for £1000 unless you do everything yourself...

For my throttlebodies which is just bolt on it was

£1200 for the itbs and ecu
£450 for mapping.

thats £1650 for the bare essentials. Add in a service, PAS pump, fuel lines, FPR, all the kit needed to make the loom, the PAS relocation bracket etc and its over £2k and I didnt even need to fabricate anything!

A guy on FB has been posting videos of a turbo build and he has spent £30k!
Thanks given by:
£30k? Well that's just retarded.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 05:25 PM)silverzx Wrote: £30k? Well that's just retarded.

thats what i thought. i had to ask if that was in sterling or rupees!
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 05:17 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(06-08-2014, 05:02 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: God help your xud!!!

Oi - what's that supposed to mean Mr!

Think of the ammount of blowers that could be welded on each week for £500!

Anyway off topic.

To get more on topic, In my mind to do anything "worthwhile" you would need to forge the motor, as i dont see the point in all the effort on these engines just to go low boost / not massive gains, dont get me wrong 250hp is epic, but meh, if your going to the effort, its worth that engine rebuild with rods and pistons imo.

However rosd and pistons asside...if you did the manifold / exhaust / oil lines etc all yourself, its going to cost around 4-500, then the same again for a turbo, and then its just the little bits and pieces like intercooling, mapping / fuel system etc...so its going to go over 1k, but not as HUGELY as some are saying if you are keen yourself....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Is it possible on the standard ECU? Or do you have to go down another route?

Also, regardless of the xuds but, the td04 is used on the 2.0 impreza and make 230ish? Is that possible with these?
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by:
You would have to get it properly mapped.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 08:20 PM)SRowell Wrote: You would have to get it properly mapped.

Of course, but I mean does it have the capability?
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by:
You can do it on the stock ECU. Chip Wizard can reprogram it with a MAP sensor to read boost. 106 GTi's use the same ECU (Marelli 1AP) and they can re-linearise the map sensor.
JP
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the different information, really cleared alot of stuff up.
Just wondered why it hadn't been done as much as other things.
I dont mind going up to about £2000 as it wont be till next year anyway.

I was hoping to be able to get the stock ecu mapped to start with, maybe just use a td04 to keep it on the cheap.

Like I said I'm not hoping for massive amount of gains. Like srowell and niall, I just want to do it so I know ive done something different my self.

It will require a lot more thinking, planning and research before I even decide anything.

Maybe I will just end up going throttle bodies in the end. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I want to turbo the 1.8 as the 1.8 is the better engine to turbo. Just cost and I cant have the car off the road long enough to actually do it. Need to buy a second one and have a garage and welder and lots of pipe to even begin!
Thanks given by:
It's just NOT a cheap thing to do.

You forget HOW much there is to do, it's when you start getting onto the oil line fabrication, return line, uprated injectors, blocking helmholtz resonator on inlet manifold or using a different one, how are you plumbing wastegate - is the original one going to move enough gas to stop overboost, what actuator are you going to use, is it the right spring pressure and is it going to blow it open under boost, what fuel pump are you going to use, will it move enough for 250hp, what regulator are you going to use. I could list stuff people won't have thought of for hours. Then all the crap that goes with, avoiding gear linkages, inevitably melting stuff in the engine bay, there's a LOT of work to be done. Unless you're prepared to get very hands on and not have the car for 6 months at least and you absolutely know what you're letting yourself in for - I wouldn't bother.

You budget yourself £2k, it'll cost you £3500 at least.

The whole idea of doing a "to start with" thing - pointless, it'll cost you more in the long run - only stuff that you might be able to keep is exhaust manifold and a bit of boost piping - the changes needed elsewhere are insane.

Then you'll start with the "whilst it's apart" stuff - oil, oil filter, air filters, fuel filters, cambelt, tensioners, aux belt, aux tensioners, clutch, gearbox oil - the list goes on - you can spend nearly £600-700 just in service items!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2014, 09:26 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's just NOT a cheap thing to do.

You forget HOW much there is to do, it's when you start getting onto the oil line fabrication, return line, uprated injectors, blocking helmholtz resonator on inlet manifold or using a different one, how are you plumbing wastegate - is the original one going to move enough gas to stop overboost, what actuator are you going to use, is it the right spring pressure and is it going to blow it open under boost. I could list stuff people won't have thought of for hours. Then all the crap that goes with, avoiding gear linkages, inevitably melting stuff in the engine bay, there's a LOT of work to be done. Unless you're prepared to get very hands on and not have the car for 6 months at least and you absolutely know what you're letting yourself in for - I wouldn't bother.

You budget yourself £2k, it'll cost you £3500 at least.

The whole idea of doing a "to start with" thing - pointless, it'll cost you more in the long run - only stuff that you might be able to keep is exhaust manifold and a bit of boost piping - the changes needed elsewhere are insane.

And therein lies the reason I didn't bother.
JP
Thanks given by:
Tbh for 2k mate, i think you are really going to struggle to turbo it unless you are really careful with your money and do nearly everything your self. Mapping alone is about £500, ECU again, £500ish second hand. its not cheap
I did my conversion for £1500 but that was with lots of ebay bargains!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.8 to gti6 conversion jasonf 4 1,550 24-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Matt
  1.6 8v to gti6 conversion ?? Jukie88 19 7,783 23-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam