Custom oil line, how long?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom oil line, how long?
Jake should be getting a custom flexi oil line made up for his new turbo this afternoon, how long do you all reckon the line wants to be?

At a guess im thinking around 16 inches, although without having the turbo on the engine infront of me its tricky to imagine which way it will be routed and therefore how long it'l need to be.

Cheers, Dan.
Thanks given by:
get one made with a compression fitting that fits the standard high pressure line and make it around 10" long, then you can cut the steel high pressure line where it suits and attach the flexi with the compression fitting Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I think I understand what you mean, but its seems a bit of a farce when a flexi line can just be made up to 'x' and fit straight away. Plus, Jake is getting this done while im at work and (no offence jake) I dont think theres much chance of Jake being able to understand that and explain it to the hydraulics place properly.

Cheers anyway mark, but if somebody knows an apporx length that'd be good still Smile
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:I think I understand what you mean, but its seems a bit of a farce when a flexi line can just be made up to 'x' and fit straight away. Plus, Jake is getting this done while im at work and (no offence jake) I dont think theres much chance of Jake being able to understand that and explain it to the hydraulics place properly.

Cheers anyway mark, but if somebody knows an apporx length that'd be good still Smile

Facepalm, You want a compression fitting that will fit the steel line high pressure line, 10" of braided flex hose and then a fitting that will go into whatever turbo needed at the other end, how is that hard, also the fitting into the block is probably something non standard and French so getting one that fits at that end could be fun Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Well its considerably harder than just having a line made up which will screw straight into the block/turbo with no issues lol

So you mean cut the standard steel line, so you screw it into the block then have a few inches of pipe, then how do you connect the braided line to the hacksawed steel line? :S
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Well its considerably harder than just having a line made up which will screw straight into the block/turbo with no issues lol

So you mean cut the standard steel line, so you screw it into the block then have a few inches of pipe, then how do you connect the braided line to the hacksawed steel line? :S

Thats what I am saying, if the part that screws into the block is non standard though then its not happening lol

As for connecting it to the steel line, with a compression fitting just make sure its the right size - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting

Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I cant see the block fitting be that obscure, plenty of people seem to have done this now and iv never heard of it being a problem before :think:

Also, re compression fittings:

They should be used in applications where the fitting will not be disturbed and not subjected to flexing or bending.

Bolted to the back of an engine? :o

Im not saying your wrong Mark, I just think the other way will be easier and id like to know how long it needs to be.
Thanks given by:
Where is the car? Surely Jake can measure where it needs to go and add an inch or so to play with? Smile
Thanks given by:
At my house, but the turbo is at his uncles work having some plates made up and wont be back with us til this evening probably.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:At my house, but the turbo is at his uncles work having some plates made up and wont be back with us til this evening probably.

Ah ok fair enough, you'd need a bloody long tape meausre for that distance I think :?
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:I cant see the block fitting be that obscure, plenty of people seem to have done this now and iv never heard of it being a problem before :think:

Also, re compression fittings:

They should be used in applications where the fitting will not be disturbed and not subjected to flexing or bending.

Bolted to the back of an engine? :o

Im not saying your wrong Mark, I just think the other way will be easier and id like to know how long it needs to be.

Fair play then see how you get on, was just a caution TBH as it doesn't look like a normal hydraulic fitting to me that's all!

As for application, on copper house pipework that applies yeah as the copper tube will be deformed due to the movement and a leak will start, the high pressure line is steel, that and mine had been leak free for well over 9 months now.............

I don't get how you think it will be easier though......slide compression fitting over the steel pipe and tighten...............attach to turbo.............done! plus you will have to attach the flexi to something whereas the steel line would support the flexi Wink

And surly length depends on the route you plan to take with it? if not why not just measure the steel line?
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I did this..

Took the standard line and big turbo to hydraulic place, and said i need a union for the turbo but needed to keep the bit where it goes into the block, braided and about 2/3" longer than standard, simples
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
padge Wrote:I did this..

Took the standard line and big turbo to hydraulic place, and said i need a union for the turbo but needed to keep the bit where it goes into the block, braided and about 2/3" longer than standard, simples

I did this, and 3/4 places said no they can't do it, and the one place said oh there will be lots of labour involved and wanted to charge me near £100

FFS!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Why not just bend the original steel oil line to the right shape, and make up an adapter to join it to your turbo. Thats what I did, and yes its a bit awkward getting it bent..but its free and does the job!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:

I did this, and 3/4 places said no they can't do it, and the one place said oh there will be lots of labour involved and wanted to charge me near £100

FFS!
Where did you go Jake?, sms did the 106 4mtr long pas pipe for 30 quid, if not try metanor or whaterver its called

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Diggers Wrote:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:

FFS!
Where did you go Jake?, sms did the 106 4mtr long pas pipe for 30 quid, if not try metanor or whaterver its called

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Went to parkers, pirtek then both told me to go SCA who told me to go to some motorbike place Sad wild goose chase all afternoon!

Where's SMS?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Da Vinci House
Harfreys Road
Harfreys Industrial Estate
Great Yarmouth
Norfolk
England
NR31 0LS

worth a try

SOLD

Thanks given by:
SCA are way overpriced anyway mate, good luck with it all Smile
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
also, as they said go sca, i take it your asking for a turbo oil line?
just ask for a high pressure line, thats was we did,
gave him the pump end and the rack end, and he put 4mtr of hydrolic hose in the middle with 2 compression fittings

SOLD

Thanks given by:
Pirtek did mine mate
Thanks given by:
padge Wrote:Pirtek did mine mate

how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
36quid
Thanks given by:
[Image: 8718486c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the photo Padge. Have you got any of the turbo connection?
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Cheers for the photo Padge. Have you got any of the turbo connection?

But isn't that a faff doing it like that dan :roll: lmao Sure someone said to do it like that in post 2 Tongue

I would guess the turbo connection is an M10 thread...............or whatever the T25 is which I think is a M12............

You can file down the M12 adaptor for the T2/K14 and re tap an M10 thread onto it so you can use the original steel line with a bit of bending but its really hard to get it straight and it makes the walls really thin Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Cheers Mark.
Thanks given by:
No pics, the td04 is a different thread, it cost me 5quid for a tiny adaptor! Also from pirtek Smile
Thanks given by:
Have you kept the banjo fitting though, or does the flexi line screw straight into the turbo?
Thanks given by:
Clearly straight into the turbo looking at the angle of it Dan, and what banjo fitting?

Actually, thinking about it, is the T25 not the same size oil inlet as the T2?

because why not just move the adaptor from the T2/K14 and just use the steel line??

Thats if its a T25 that your fitting? I don't think you have actually said!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Its for a td04 mark
Thanks given by: