Accelerator cable fitting?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accelerator cable fitting?!
I just put a new engine in my GTi6 which was a first engine change attempt and didn't have any issues at all which Was a good effort! I decided before I put it in for MOT I'd change the throttle cable as the old one was frayed quite badly. It's been the most frustrating job so far and I can't for the life of me find a fitting guide or diagram online anywhere (which seems crazy?!) has anyone done one before? It's in position and fitted as far as I can tell but after pressing the pedal down the revs stay up. The cable isn't returning to it's original position like it should. I've also read about a return spring. I had a spring in the (what I assume is a universal Peugeot/Citroen) kit. But can't see anywhere that it could be attached to the pedal. Any advice would be great. Cheers!
Thanks given by:
There isn't a spring on the pedal or the cable afaik. There shouldn't be any resistance to the cable so it just pushes back when the throttle closes (which is sprung).

Have you clipped or tied it tightly anywhere or is it still 'loose' in the bay?
Thanks given by:
It loops next to the battery in the one I had, just used the original outer cable and threaded through the actual cable through that, took about 5 minutes
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If its a universal one from ecp etc with a slbit that screws onto the cable at the throttle end then you need to cut the cable to length before you screw the end on otherwise the pedal won't spring back

[Image: du5uba4y.jpg]

This is the part I'm on about, if you left it at the length it came at there will be a lot of slack in the cable and it won't spring back

If you wedge the throttle pedal fully up (off) then pull the cable as far as it will go at the TB you'll see how much you'll need to cut
Thanks given by:
I took the cable housing off and squirted a fair whack of WD40 down it until it dropped out of the other end, put it all back together and it's perfect now! Cheers for the help!
Thanks given by: