dodgy fuel light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dodgy fuel light
i think i have a dodgy fuel sender unit on my p1 dtu'b, the light comes on and off all the time, and when you boot it, the level goes right down and the light comes on, then when you go back to driving normally the gauge goes back up and the light goes out ?? :/
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
Sounds pretty normal to me.............

Put more fuel in the tank then and then the light won't come on, the fuel moving round the tank alters the level at the float thats all, you can loose 1/4 of a tank on a twisty road lol

Peugeot fuel gauges are notoriously shit Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Has it done this since you bought the car?

The 306's, especially the earlier ones, are renowned for having dodgy fuel gauges.

It happens normally while cornering, but I suppose it could happen whilst accelerating as well.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
sounds about right boys, gonna have a play with the sender tomorrow set it about 10mm lower hahaha just to stop that cloody light coming on haha
Thanks given by:
Joe Wrote:sounds about right boys, gonna have a play with the sender tomorrow set it about 10mm lower hahaha just to stop that cloody light coming on haha

*awaits 'oh shite I ran out of fuel' thread* lol
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
how long should it go for when the light comes on?
Thanks given by:
i have drove 20+ miles with the light on mate, just carry some veg in your boot
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
From when the light first comes on (it will normally flicker back off again), I get around 50-60 miles..
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Early senders are shite. They have a bit of resistance on the float arm to stop the float moving as the petrol moves in the tank. This goes on the early ones so it moves with the fuel. Get down the scrappy and get a new one. If your lucky, because it's ph1, the sender could be seperate from the pump like the early 106s
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Been watching mine since this thread started and it's gone from 1/2 to 3/4 and back several times in last few days haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Been watching mine since this thread started and it's gone from 1/2 to 3/4 and back several times in last few days haha

mine did this exact same thing, and then all the way down to 1/4! and now its back at 1/2... wafty things
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
How I park on my drive makes a difference, if I park across a slope with the passenger side lowest the fuel light comes on, if I park facing down the hill I have nearly half a tank, start driving and it drops to just over 1/4 (which is what it actually has in) so I always try to park pointing down so it makes me feel better in a morning lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mine tends to stay at half a tank for 90% of the journey then rappidly fall to the red light for the final stretch lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:How I park on my drive makes a difference, if I park across a slope with the passenger side lowest the fuel light comes on, if I park facing down the hill I have nearly half a tank, start driving and it drops to just over 1/4 (which is what it actually has in) so I always try to park pointing down so it makes me feel better in a morning lmao

Not just me that does that then! Haha
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Not at all, park facing downhill every time that I can lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
well i went round the round about tonight, its a fairly big one but i was still doing 55 and i went from being on the red to 1/3 tank haha i was so tempted to keep going round and round Smile
Thanks given by:
Joe Wrote:well i went round the round about tonight, its a fairly big one but i was still doing 55 and i went from being on the red to 1/3 tank haha i was so tempted to keep going round and round Smile

What, to see if it kept going up and you left the roundabout with a full tank lmao

as said already though, they are notoriously shit and inaccurate!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Joe Wrote:well i went round the round about tonight, its a fairly big one but i was still doing 55 and i went from being on the red to 1/3 tank haha i was so tempted to keep going round and round Smile

What, to see if it kept going up and you left the roundabout with a full tank lmao

as said already though, they are notoriously shit and inaccurate!

YES you got it in one Smile
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:How I park on my drive makes a difference, if I park across a slope with the passenger side lowest the fuel light comes on, if I park facing down the hill I have nearly half a tank, start driving and it drops to just over 1/4 (which is what it actually has in) so I always try to park pointing down so it makes me feel better in a morning lmao

You should park facing up then you get in and think aww no fuel, then it goes up! Free fuel!! Mines the same if i park on the drive forwards the lights off then comes on shortly after driving to remind me how skint i am
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel guage stuck on full, but returns to zero with engine off. Will red light work? Charlie0 6 1,896 11-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Charlie0
  206 hdi fuel gauge warning light fault... Piggy 8 2,203 27-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Dodgy wire stopping car from starting Nathan1305 8 2,129 14-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb